Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil

Views : 1879

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 23:42   #1
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Engine Oil

I’m sure this topic has been done to death in the past, so apologies, but I am struggling with a very specific decision.

The manual for my new to me 1998 V90 says Oil quality: ACEA A2/A3. I gather the A2 standard is long obsolete so this presumably means I should use A3.

In the past, when I have changed the oil in my 940s myself, I have used Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 which is ACEA A3/B3; hence presumably fine.

However, I currently have quite a lot of Quantum Synta 10W-40 which is ACEA A3/B4.

It seems that the difference in spec means that the Quantum oil is nominally higher spec than the Shell which is counter intuitive since it was much cheaper and I actually bought it for an even older car. It also would seem to be more alkaline with a TBN of at least 10 versus the minimum of 8 for A3/B3.

Since both are A3 presumably it would be acceptable to use either. But do folk think the Quantum Synta will cause problems in the V90?

When I used it in my VW it quickly found a leak in the valve cover gasket but a new gasket solved that.

Only asking since I would need to buy more Shell oil and I have at least 3 gallons of the Quantum stuff in my garage.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 16:01   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

None of what i own needs A3/B4/R2D2/C3PO oils so i haven't really delved into it. However i do know that Shell Helix 10W40 while a good oil when new, after about 3k miles tends to break down, with the additives that made it so good to start with rapidly being exhausted leaving behind a cheap, poor quality base oil.

If the same applies with the Shell oils you're taking about, you either have to change them every 3k miles or look elsewhere for your engine oil.

I've had good results from Tradetec oils but only on the 10W40 type. Duckhams has made a reappaerance after many years so i'm temtepd to give that a try on my next oil/filter changes.

THe above probably isn't directly helpful to your question but hopefully gives a little more food for thought on the right oil for you and your car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 20:04   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I’m sure this topic has been done to death in the past, so apologies, but I am struggling with a very specific decision.

The manual for my new to me 1998 V90 says Oil quality: ACEA A2/A3. I gather the A2 standard is long obsolete so this presumably means I should use A3.

In the past, when I have changed the oil in my 940s myself, I have used Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 which is ACEA A3/B3; hence presumably fine.

However, I currently have quite a lot of Quantum Synta 10W-40 which is ACEA A3/B4.

It seems that the difference in spec means that the Quantum oil is nominally higher spec than the Shell which is counter intuitive since it was much cheaper and I actually bought it for an even older car. It also would seem to be more alkaline with a TBN of at least 10 versus the minimum of 8 for A3/B3.

Since both are A3 presumably it would be acceptable to use either. But do folk think the Quantum Synta will cause problems in the V90?

When I used it in my VW it quickly found a leak in the valve cover gasket but a new gasket solved that.

Only asking since I would need to buy more Shell oil and I have at least 3 gallons of the Quantum stuff in my garage.
I also use Shell Helix in my 940 but I think it's actually A3/B4
See here https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/eng...x7-10w-40.html

Based on that I would say a similar grade oil like the Quantum will be fine. It seems to be a trade oil which is why it might be a bit cheaper than the Shell
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 21:04   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

Thanks for the replies. I think, based on them seemingly being the same spec I will use the Quantum oil and, provided I don’t encounter any problems, will look to standardise on that across my fleet.

I used to get the Shell Helix from Eurocarparts. Using their incessant sale codes I would rarely pay more than about £14 for five litres. However, I note their pre-discount prices are now astronomical so that has become an expensive option; especially if the oil actually becomes bog standard after a few thousand miles.

No one has chimed in to say that the Quantum oil is made from recycled chip fat and will blow out the oil seals so it should be fine!

I bought a 20l cube of the Quantum Synta 10w-40 last year for £48 including delivery which is much more convenient really and works out at £12 per five litres.

For those not in the know the cubes of oil are a bit like a large wine box being a cardboard box containing a plastic liner that holds the oil. You pull out a tap to draw off as much as you need into an oil jug. You can get proper stands for them which stop them deforming as they empty but mine works just fine sitting on top of a cupboard in my garage with a webbing strap around it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 21:24   #5
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think, based on them seemingly being the same spec I will use the Quantum oil and, provided I don’t encounter any problems, will look to standardise on that across my fleet.

I used to get the Shell Helix from Eurocarparts. Using their incessant sale codes I would rarely pay more than about £14 for five litres. However, I note their pre-discount prices are now astronomical so that has become an expensive option; especially if the oil actually becomes bog standard after a few thousand miles.

No one has chimed in to say that the Quantum oil is made from recycled chip fat and will blow out the oil seals so it should be fine!

I bought a 20l cube of the Quantum Synta 10w-40 last year for £48 including delivery which is much more convenient really and works out at £12 per five litres.

For those not in the know the cubes of oil are a bit like a large wine box being a cardboard box containing a plastic liner that holds the oil. You pull out a tap to draw off as much as you need into an oil jug. You can get proper stands for them which stop them deforming as they empty but mine works just fine sitting on top of a cupboard in my garage with a webbing strap around it.
You can still get deals on Helix in fact Luke ( 360 Beast ) tipped me off on a good deal online for about £14 for 5 litres so i bought a couple. Can't remember where it was now though

My Father in Law uses Helix in both his cars and changes at 8k and it comes out clean as a whistle so it's hardly going to turn into water after 5 or 6 k.

Having said that the Quantum stuff seems good and I'm pretty certain I've seen the big drums in my mates garage for trade use
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 22:06   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I only ever used quantum oil in my 2003 Fabia VRS (those were dark days indeed) as it was recommended to be one of the best like for the PD130.

I only ever use shell helix HX7 10W40 in my 940 and have not had any problems with changing every 6k miles or 6 months whichever comes first, it used to be the 6k miles but now it will be 6 months.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 22:57   #7
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I use this stuff now from Fuzz's oil website, top quality as tested on Project Farm. Bit thicker and proper amount of zinc.

https://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-HPR-10

They've got loads of others to suit any older classic cars too.
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 20:43   #8
wrinkles
VOC Member

I use Comma 15 40 and a bottle of STP for petrol engines and have done in all 8 of my Volvos this is a basic mineral multi grade. I think all this bull about oil is just to make you pay more for your oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrinkles For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 22:46   #9
jeanmarc

Would tend to agree with the above.
Just put any 10W40 oil so that even in the winter you're okay, change it at the prescribed intervals, and you'll be fine.

Everybody focuses probably too much on oil... proper maintenance is more than that.
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 23:01   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
I use Comma 15 40 and a bottle of STP for petrol engines and have done in all 8 of my Volvos this is a basic mineral multi grade. I think all this bull about oil is just to make you pay more for your oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmarc View Post
Would tend to agree with the above.
Just put any 10W40 oil so that even in the winter you're okay, change it at the prescribed intervals, and you'll be fine.

Everybody focuses probably too much on oil... proper maintenance is more than that.
As i was saying to someone the other day, the redblock has its roots in the old B14/B16 of the PV544 although it's changed a lot since, mainly to the B18/B20 of the Amazon, P1800 and 140 series. For the 240 series it sprouted an OHC cylinder head but was still essentially the same engine. Even if you took the design as being a 1960s design with 1960s tolerances etc, you'd be looking at nothing more exotic than a simple 20W50 multigrade as they were really only just mainstream back then.
Times have changed though and later cars with the redblock as most 7/9xx owners know it would have had 10W40 semi-synthetic from new. However a mineral oil is just as good, providing it's changed in a timely manner. Synthetics aren't so good as the molecules are generally smaller for engines with tighter tolerances. Also they aren't the ultra low friction engines with extra tight tolerances that we've seen since ~2000 that need 5W30 or even 0W30 oils so a 10W40 semisynth or even 15W40, 15W50, 20W50 semi synth if the engine is a bit worn will be absolutely fine in a redblock.

As such, i totally agree, any semisynth or mineral oil of the right viscosity will be fine as long as it's not recycled oil - you will get problems with that rubbish!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: