Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 emission system

Views : 1980

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 11:50   #1
BillyBobBill

Hi,

When I turn the ignition the message Emission System Service Required comes up on the message screen. It doesn’t disappear until you press read next message. Iv taken it in for a service but still no change.

The car also has a tendency to cut out while driving, mainly when slowing down and when constantly changing speeds. It is more frequent the longer I drive it.

I don’t know if the two above issues are linked but I would be very grateful if someone had any ideas to these problems.

Like I said above is a 2.4 S80 'W' Reg.

Cheers

Chris
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 13:44   #2
Dommett

Default RE: S80 emission system

Hi,

I'll be the first to reply, although probably cant help too much right now.
I have the emissions light on, although drives fine (exception that it doesn't pull at the high rev range).

I have had the ETM replaced (£650) which made no difference and now a lamda sensor (£250) which made it feel slightly better, but light still on, and still not revving.

Garage says it could be a network problem, but I have also seen a lot about the MAF (Mass air flow) - these are about £300 but I've been told you can get Bosch ones (eBay etc) and they are very easy to fit.

This may be my next port of call, I would say for £100 its worth doing, so many people say it makes a huge difference.

I'm £900 down and no further to fixing it!

Keep us informed though, I'll let you know if the MAF sorts it.

Tom
Dommett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 20:09   #3
highgun

Hi,

I had the same problem with my 2001 V70, and I had Adam from volvotuning take a look, and it was indeed the maf censer.

All the best,

Tony.
highgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:58   #4
bw64870

Hi

I have the emmision system error message aswell. Performance seems no different, it just popped up in the middle of motorway journey and hasn't gone away.

Only other potentially linked issue is the revs at idle drop off and the engine gets close to stalling.

Do you have any links to info on changing the MAF?

Thanks

Matt
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 22:52   #5
Dommett

I did attempt it, but got scared of breaking the pipe (it's a tight fit). Turned out my garage (Kastners main dealer) fitted it for me for no charge. Well, I have paid them plenty before!!

It is a 10 minute job and from eBay £85, so a cheap job really (compared to the £660 I spend on a new ETM)

Hope it solves the problem.

Tom
Dommett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 21:05   #6
brens-s80
VOC Member

Hi ,

I had the same problem and the MAF swap cured it. MAF's can be got
on ebay from around £90. Hope this helps.

regards

Brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 20:08   #7
Olga

Hi,

Did it work out??? I have the same problem with Emission System

Thanks
Olga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 20:29   #8
Venus Flytrap

Default Is engine light connected to emission message?

Hi Guys!

Been reading the posts on 'emission system service required' with great interest.

Am the new owner of a beautiful silvery blue V reg Volvo S80 Automatic, which I got a fantastic deal on because it was filthy and the back door had been caved in by a London bus(!).

Downside is it has no drivers manual... ...so until I can get my hands on one I wonder if one of you can kindly tell me the following...

When I switch the car on, the 'emission system service required' message comes up - it goes away when I press the 'read' button but the small engine shaped light stays on on the dashboard. Is that light telling me that the emission message is there, or is it telling me there is something else wrong with the engine? The car is going just great (woohoo!) and the oil light etc all go out like they should but I'm worried about setting out on a long journey without knowing more about it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated - as would advice on which garages to use in the Edinburgh area - or how to get an S80 Drivers Manual!

Cheers!

Venus F
Venus Flytrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 15:05   #9
malcs80

i also had this problem with the emissions message after i had had it tuned by Rica (chip tuning ) they plugged it into vadis and it turned out to be the idle speed being too low i left it for a week and no change except the occational stall when pulling up to a stop then i fitted an after market air filter kit and the problem magicaly dissapeared .
its now been a couple of months still no message
malcs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 22:07   #10
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Message

'emission system service required' It means you have a fault in the engine management system, simple really. Read the 'sticky' DIM messages..S60 forum

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote