Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Drivers Window

Views : 537

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:39   #1
940Graeme
Premier Member

Default S80 Drivers Window

Damn! Drivers window on my Y plate S80 started being "odd" going up or down. Then stopped working completely, combined with much clunking and scraping of glass and metal.

On investigation, both regulator arms are bent out of shape, and so a complete new regulator is required - bloomin £200 plus!!!

Is this common? The arms do seems of particularly thin metal, (weight saving?), but surely they should last more that 14 years on a 70,000 mile car?

I guess no option - I'm not going to fit a second hand one as gawd only knows how long that will last, but bloomin fed up, what happened to Volvo Build Quality eh??
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:51   #2
oragex
Premier Member

the rubber trim at the lowest point on each side of the window tend to rip and get stuck when the window goes down. perhaps that forced the regulator arms to bent. I removed the door panel and cut that trim off were it started to rip. it starts to rip close to the door lock.

also the trim around the window can get frozen in winter, I always push the lower trim against the window to free it when it happens, otherwise the window motor will force to break it free.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:31   #3
940Graeme
Premier Member

Thank you for that! It does start to explain the problem.

My concern, actually, was that the car had been hit hard in the drivers door at some point - although the paint work didn't back up that idea - no one could match up a re-spray that well!

Most interesting, thank you.
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 22:09   #4
V70RMW
Master Member

In my experience, (both my P2 cars) the regulator arms are only too anxious to be bent out of shape. Continuing to power the motor through the clunking and scraping should pretty much do it.

Regulators are easy to find on ebay - and nothing like the new price. I seem to remember spending about £50 each, and not too bad to replace.
You will need a riveter though.

Almost forgot to add, I found them completely impossible to get them back into shape once bent. The complicated natural bend is too hard to recreate as they are not actually straight.

Last edited by V70RMW; May 13th, 2014 at 22:11.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote