Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 b3p

Views : 1324

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 21:44   #1
simonb82

Default V60 b3p

I’m looking at a 2022 V60 B3P R-Design. I think I get an early 2022 car without options it will be under the magic 40k list price so keep Road tax down

Question is what’s the performance like of the B3P, is it ok or do you really need the extra power of the B4P

I’m hoping the B3P will give me mid 40s to the gallon on my 80 mile round trip to work. Is that realistic?
simonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 06:34   #2
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb82 View Post
Question is what’s the performance like of the B3P, is it ok or do you really need the extra power of the B4P

I’m hoping the B3P will give me mid 40s to the gallon on my 80 mile round trip to work. Is that realistic?
A friend has just collected a MY23 V60 B3P and on a recent round trip to Glasgow (clocking up about 800 miles), he averaged 42mpg so I would say your expectations are realistic.

As for performance expectations, its all very subjective and depends what you are coming out of. 163bhp is a decent output figure and my friend is impressed with his new cars responsiveness and go. He switched from a VW golf diesel that was remapped to a similar power, it just delivers it all differently.
I had a MY22 V60 B4P (same engine output as the newer B3P at 160is bhp) as a courtesy car and it was ok but I am used to much quicker cars.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 18:51   #3
simonb82

Thanks for your reply. I’m coming from 130bhp but a diesel so the B3P will have more power but be down a bit on torque. Sounds like it would be ok though and 42mpg is a good return over that length of journey
The Following User Says Thank You to simonb82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 17:29   #4
simonb82

What’s peoples experience with the new DCT they’ve now put in the V60
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 17:45   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

Not V60 but XC40 here with DCT - having used the 8-gear Aisin torque-converter for the past 5 yrs (XC60) and I wouldn’t go back to the torque-converter. Brisk, almost instant shifts - no “indecisiveness” of the slush box, shifts are unnoticeable except on aggressive acceleration from a dead stop.

As for the B3P engine.. I found it a bit sluggish on a loaner car (XC40).. I’d test-drive it to be on the sure side. Consumption-wise - the new mild hybrids are above my expectations!

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 18:11   #6
simonb82

That’s good to know about the gearbox. I guess the downside is these new DCTs need servicing fairly regularly. Also I spend a lot of time stuck in traffic and from what I understand DCTs are less tolerant of creeping forward in traffic?

Interesting on the B3. So is that compared to a B4? I was hoping a B3 would be enough as I can get an R-Design one and still sneak under the extra road tax!
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 19:28   #7
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
What’s peoples experience with the new DCT they’ve now put in the V60
If you are looking at an R Design car, it will not be the 7 speed DCT gearbox, it will be the 8 speed torque converter.
The DCT only came in with the MY23 cars i.e. Core, Plus and Ultimate designations.

Old Nov 8th, 2022, 19:33   #8
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Not V60 but XC40 here with DCT - having used the 8-gear Aisin torque-converter for the past 5 yrs (XC60) and I wouldn’t go back to the torque-converter. Brisk, almost instant shifts - no “indecisiveness” of the slush box, shifts are unnoticeable except on aggressive acceleration from a dead stop.
As far as the new XC60's go, they have done some awesome work on the 8 speed 'slush box', my new car is soooo much better than my MY20 car, especially the gearbox. It shifts are lovely, the shifting logic is awesome and the horrible indecisiveness is all but gone now. So much better than you would have experienced with your XC60.
I have not experienced the DCT yet so will reserve judgement but a friend has just collected his V60 B3P Plus with the DCT so hope to get a ride out in it soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 20:52   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
That’s good to know about the gearbox. I guess the downside is these new DCTs need servicing fairly regularly. Also I spend a lot of time stuck in traffic and from what I understand DCTs are less tolerant of creeping forward in traffic?

Interesting on the B3. So is that compared to a B4? I was hoping a B3 would be enough as I can get an R-Design one and still sneak under the extra road tax!
True and true. Maintenance-wise - it’s just an oil change, so as long as you don’t need to swap a friction plate every few tens of thousands of miles (first-gen VAG DSG, khm, khm 🙄…) I am ok with it. Creep-wise - yes, and no. Generally, T/C transmissions are more tolerant to creeping, as you said (hence the inherent inefficiency - simply because they slip a lot..) but Volvo DCT is a wet-clutch system - so waaaay more tolerant than dry-clutch iterations. In any case - yes, more complex, and more maintenance-requiring, but much more efficient (mpg and performance-wise..) and sophisticated than T/Cs.

As for B3 - yes I was comparing it to B4 but also T5, and diesels which I have driven at one point or another. “Enough” is a very subjective term - that’s why I think you best test-drive it and judge by yourself.

Good luck in any case!

XC40 B4 RD AWD

Last edited by Haldex; Nov 8th, 2022 at 20:56.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 15:06   #10
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
As far as the new XC60's go, they have done some awesome work on the 8 speed 'slush box', my new car is soooo much better than my MY20 car, especially the gearbox. It shifts are lovely, the shifting logic is awesome and the horrible indecisiveness is all but gone now. So much better than you would have experienced with your XC60.
I have not experienced the DCT yet so will reserve judgement but a friend has just collected his V60 B3P Plus with the DCT so hope to get a ride out in it soon.
I can concur, not sure what Volvo have done, but the gearbox is now almost perfect, gone is the indecisiveness, jerkiness and overall dislikes. Im not sure either what they have done to the engine, but under heavy acceleration it now actually sounds good!!

I have never before gone between 2 different model years of a car and seen such massive improvements.