Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 855953

Replies : 6363

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:04   #1001
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Still a good truck though chap!
The Skoda Superb? Yes indeed; I've owned it from new (8 years and 70,000 miles ago) and it has been pretty well faultless. It does 50 MPG, costs £30/year to tax and can carry 5 people plus Bob (the dog) whilst towing a trailer full of motorbikes :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2021 at 07:58. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 10:32   #1002
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I wonder if the 240GLT estate has been given some Torslanda bits - the alloys and roof bars are both Tors' fitments - while the trim has been, IMO, downgraded from leather to velour?
But a nice car all the same and I would have been tempted if I didn't already have too many cars for the available storage space.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 13:17   #1003
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I wonder if the 240GLT estate has been given some Torslanda bits - the alloys and roof bars are both Tors' fitments - while the trim has been, IMO, downgraded from leather to velour?
But a nice car all the same and I would have been tempted if I didn't already have too many cars for the available storage space.
It would appear from this 1980 Volvo brochure that both leather and plush interiors were offered for the GLE, so perhaps the plush is the original (although it might have been an odd decision to opt for it instead of leather on a new car in 1987):

PS. I'm rather assuming GLE is the same as the later GLT model.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2021 at 13:25. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 13:41   #1004
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It would appear from this 1980 Volvo brochure that both leather and plush interiors were offered for the GLE, so perhaps the plush is the original (although it might have been an odd decision to opt for it instead of leather on a new car in 1987):

PS. I'm rather assuming GLE is the same as the later GLT model.
From launch the GLT had leather as its default trim; if you wanted velour you had to specify it as "delete option", but I don't know if there was a rebate. The GLE was more luxurious than the GLT (Executive vs. Touring perhaps?) with the latter having stiffer dampers. By the time of this GLT's build leather would have been standard on it, with anything else requiring intervention at ordering time.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 13:50   #1005
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
From launch the GLT had leather as its default trim; if you wanted velour you had to specify it as "delete option", but I don't know if there was a rebate. The GLE was more luxurious than the GLT (Executive vs. Touring perhaps?) with the latter having stiffer dampers. By the time of this GLT's build leather would have been standard on it, with anything else requiring intervention at ordering time.
Thank you for that Loki.

It just seemed to me odd that someone might have replaced the leather interior of a GLT with the plush one from a GL as that would have been quite a time consuming and expensive thing to do. I suppose it is possible that the original leather interior might have been in very poor order indeed, and perhaps an owner had a donor car with some good plush seats (with the wheels and roof bars as well)?

The alternative explanation is that the first owner specified a delete option and preferred the plush seats.

Neither seems all that plausible, but I suppose one of them must be what happened.

Alan
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:06   #1006
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for that Loki.

It just seemed to me odd that someone might have replaced the leather interior of a GLT with the plush one from a GL as that would have been quite a time consuming and expensive thing to do. I suppose it is possible that the original leather interior might have been in very poor order indeed, and perhaps an owner had a donor car with some good plush seats (with the wheels and roof bars as well)?

The alternative explanation is that the first owner specified a delete option and preferred the plush seats.

Neither seems all that plausible, but I suppose one of them must be what happened.

Alan
Look through all the pics in the listing Alan. In the load area, the trim is grey. From the rear seats forwards, it's tan including the cente console!

The seats and door cards have been changed and so have the carpets - easy enough to change the carpets while the seats and console are out.

The original spec as Alf says would be leather (probably black or maybe grey) and the cente console would have matched the seats and door cards, whether they were grey or black.

Also the original wheels would have been Virgos, as already pointed out it has Torslanda and/or another model (SE perhaps?) wheels and roof bars. I suspect someone has done a mix'n'match, i wouldn't have chosen tan for certain but grey would have worked quite well.

The original fit in the back of my 760 (1988 so only a year newer) was black leather seats, carpet, headlining and carpets from the C pillar forwards. Behind that it's dark grey - maybe my eyesight is seeing the rest of the original as black when it's dark grey but i now have mid-grey carpets and headliner - the old headliner fell apart on removal but it's a lot less oppressive in there with the lighter carpet and headliner.
This may have been a consideration when the pervious owner of that GLT changed things.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:11   #1007
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Look through all the pics in the listing Alan. In the load area, the trim is grey. From the rear seats forwards, it's tan including the cente console!

The seats and door cards have been changed and so have the carpets - easy enough to change the carpets while the seats and console are out.

The original spec as Alf says would be leather (probably black or maybe grey) and the cente console would have matched the seats and door cards, whether they were grey or black.

... or maybe someone changed the load area trim (only) from tan to grey Dave? :-)

I'm just musing, you are probably right, but we may never know :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2021 at 14:13. Reason: Grammar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:17   #1008
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... or maybe someone changed the load area trim (only) from tan to grey Dave? :-)

I'm just musing, you are probably right, but we may never know :-)

Alan
I'm pretty certain Volvo never paired tan interior with the dark grey body colour Alan, somewhere on here i belive there is a chart that specifies all of this but i don't know where.

Also human nature comes into play - people will change the things that offend their eyes the most, in other words where they sit. Also there's evidence the gear lever knob has been moved if not at least removed and replaced.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:28   #1009
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm pretty certain Volvo never paired tan interior with the dark grey body colour Alan, somewhere on here i belive there is a chart that specifies all of this but i don't know where.

Also human nature comes into play - people will change the things that offend their eyes the most, in other words where they sit. Also there's evidence the gear lever knob has been moved if not at least removed and replaced.
... I wasn't being very serious there Dave. I think you are probably right and the interior may well have been changed.

I wonder why that happened some time in the past 43 years though. Someone took out the leather seats and went to all the trouble of changing the door cards and so on in order to fit some plush seats from a GL (or similar). The leather seats must have been in a horrible state to justify a whole interior change, so what caused that? Was there a fire, did the motor car get submerged at high tide, has it really done 600,000 miles and got worn out by being sat on?

We probably won't ever find out the answer, but it is interesting. I still like the grey car, and if I didn't already have the RB then I might have bought it.

:-) Alan
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:32   #1010
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I wasn't being very serious there Dave. I think you are probably right and the interior may well have been changed.

I wonder why that happened some time in the past 43 years though. Someone took out the leather seats and went to all the trouble of changing the door cards and so on in order to fit some plush seats from a GL (or similar). The leather seats must have been in a horrible state to justify a whole interior change, so what caused that? Was there a fire, did the motor car get submerged at high tide, has it really done 600,000 miles and got worn out by being sat on?

We probably won't ever find out the answer, but it is interesting. I still like the grey car, and if I didn't already have the RB then I might have bought it.

:-) Alan
I suspect a much more prosaic reason Alan. The owner of the grey beastie was short on funds and a friend/acquaintance liked his leather interior so a deal was struck to give him some money and a velour interior from a lesser model in exchange for the leather one. Two happy drivers, two non-original Volvos.