Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you change bulbs behind blower/heater panel?

Views : 823

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 19:52   #1
bmxJeff
Road fodder...

Default How do you change bulbs behind blower/heater panel?

Hi Guys,

I tried to get to the bulbs behind the blower control panel as they are both dead. I got this far and I'm stuck:

The bulbs are surrounded by these transparent plastic pieces which obviously direct the light. The problem is these transparent blocks are locked in place by the bulb, and the bulb is blocked by the transparent block. Stalemate!

Has anybody else done this with success?

Last edited by bmxJeff; Mar 7th, 2015 at 20:50.
bmxJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 20:53   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

You don't dismantle the front panel like that. You remove the whole unit by undoing the four torx screws. However, there is a catch. In order to remove the metal lugs at the bottom that will prevent you pulling the unit forward you have to remove the radio carrier so there is a little bit of dismantling to do.

The bulbs are little T3 panel bulbs that can be hard to find or obtained from the main dealer for a hideous price.

As a matter of interest, how easy/destructive was it to remove the front panel? On my vague to-do list is to replace the climate control decal in my 940CD with one salvaged from a US 960 because I hate having centigrade temperatures forced on me by the EU. But everything looks glued together.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 21:49   #3
bmxJeff
Road fodder...

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You don't dismantle the front panel like that. You remove the whole unit by undoing the four torx screws. However, there is a catch. In order to remove the metal lugs at the bottom that will prevent you pulling the unit forward you have to remove the radio carrier so there is a little bit of dismantling to do.

The bulbs are little T3 panel bulbs that can be hard to find or obtained from the main dealer for a hideous price.

As a matter of interest, how easy/destructive was it to remove the front panel? On my vague to-do list is to replace the climate control decal in my 940CD with one salvaged from a US 960 because I hate having centigrade temperatures forced on me by the EU. But everything looks glued together.
I was worried that would be the case. My heavily modified aftermarket head unit surround and mount was kind of a one-way ticket. It's not something I can remove without destroying so until I really have to, its staying put. Looks like I'll keep feeling around in the dark for the heater controls at night for now.

As for the front panel removal, it was easy to get apart but also easy to damage. I pulled the 3 knobs from their pot switch poles, then the black backing/control decal can be carefully peeled away from a transparent plastic frame behind. It is a thick vinyl material so shouldn't tear easily. The problem is that when I pulled the vinyl-like decal away, a couple of small black flakes of the coloured layer stayed stuck to the transparent frame behind. I've now got these few 'flakes' on the decal where you can see the colour layer has been separated from the hard clear layer. Its a bit like when you get a bubble trapped under your phone screen protector.

If I was to do this again I would warm the decal up to soften the glue with a heatgun or hairdryer to reduce the chance of flakes of the decal being left on the frame behind. On the plus side, the decal resticks quite nicely and perfectly flat with no additional glue.

Last edited by bmxJeff; Mar 7th, 2015 at 21:51.
bmxJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmxJeff For This Useful Post:

Tags
blower, bulb, change, heater, replace