Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more 5 cylinders from Volvo

Views : 18014

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:46   #51
dme123
Master Member

Quite a few large engines have cylinder deactivation now - under light load it can close the valves on some cylinders and keep them closed. The air in the cylinder acts as a spring as it is compressed and expands in the cylinder. GM first did this with the infamous V8-6-4 in the early 80s, but it had serious reliability issues due to the immaturity of the technology - more down to control systems than anything I believe.

The problem with a turbocharged engine running without the turbo is that the compression ratio of the engine is usually very low, so they are very sluggish and inefficient with no boost. Might work better with a LPT. You also have the turbo in the way of the air inlet and restricting breathing even when it's not spinning. The plumbing to take a turbo in and out of circuit would be untidy and complicated. More likely to work with a supercharger and two inlet tracts maybe - boosted and unboosted?

The future of efficient IC engines seems to lie with camless designs - valves activated by solenoids and hydraulics or some other system. Valve by valve infinite control of timing and lift and the removal of the rotating mass and friction of the camshafts. There is a lot of valvegear in a modern engine, maintenance could be much easier in a camless design.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 17:33   #52
Naciremus

Hmm who knows.
Naciremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 15:00   #53
jackd

Devastated to hear about the loss of the 5 cylinder. To me four cylinders sound flat and dull - even high revving ones. I always thought there was a startling similarity between the sound of a V10 and a 5 Cylinder, for obvious mechanical reasons. 3 Cylinders do interest me also. They have much a more characterful sound than a four cylinder drone. In diesels the difference is more apparent. Nobody would say a four cylinder diesel sounds good. But D5s sound great. Same goes for V6 and Inline 6 diesels. A much more pleasing note to live with every day. My Girlfriend who knows nothing about cars at all thinks my 2.4T C70 five cylinder sounds like a "proper sports car" and I would tend to agree with her, even if it isn't! Please hold onto the 5 cylinder Volvo! For me it's and integral part of the brand!

jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackd For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 19:17   #54
AndyPants
VOC Member

I think it sucks that Volvo are giving up on five cylinders after all this time. I already think that most modern Volvos have lost a lot of character and getting rid of the fifth cylinder is another nail in the coffin Boooooo!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 21:07   #55
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
I think it sucks that Volvo are giving up on five cylinders after all this time. I already think that most modern Volvos have lost a lot of character and getting rid of the fifth cylinder is another nail in the coffin Boooooo!!!
Here, Here!!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 02:44   #56
Spike1918
Looney

Default Talking of valve gear?

I don`t know why rotary valves are not being bought into play by mainstream manufacturers, less reciprocating mass and modern materials means not only weight savings but increased reliability, cheaper manufacturing techniques, longer service intervals and even less parts to replace when wear occurs.
For interest:

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-advantages.html

Oh and five cylinder engines? In a word, SMOOTH!
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike1918 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 20:39   #57
johnjp
Master Member

How about the nat. gas csrv in a 940!
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 22:29   #58
Spike1918
Looney

Ah well you have me there, I didn`t know about that one. Any images or technical details available here?

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 23:24   #59
johnjp
Master Member

http://www.coatesengine.com/natural-gas-generator.html
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 23:35   #60
Spike1918
Looney

Hahahaha, I see what you mean now.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage