Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

About to Order - Some Questions

Views : 2202

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2016, 21:44   #1
S60Chris
Master Member

Question About to Order - Some Questions

With a new baby here + our border collie, we quickly realised that our trusty XC60 just simply doesn't have the boot space to load up a pram, carry cot AND take the dog with us.

So...

XC90 time.

Going to the dealer on Monday to test drive. Looking to order new. Drive the Deal now offering circa £5k off a D5 Inscription and our dealer are adamant they won't be beaten on price as we have quite a good relationship.

Few questions to any '90 owners out there:

1) Real world, what's the difference between PowerPule and non PowerPulse? (Ours will obviously be PP but curious as to the difference it actually made in terms of drive ability - our dealership say not a great deal)

2) Does anyone have Osmium Grey with the 20" 5 double spoke diamond cut/matt tech black alloy wheels? Does this combo look good?

3) My wife says black leather but I love the look of Blonde on the configurator. How durable is the blonde leather?

4) 7 Seat Comfort Pack - thoughts? Worth it for £900?

5) Does anyone have the boot divider for a dog?

Our spec is going to be the following:

D5 Inscription
Osmium Grey
20" 5 double spoke diamond cut/matt tech black alloy wheels
Blonde Leather
Walnut Trim
Winter Pack
Family pack
Air Suspension
Apple Car Play
BLIS
Surround Camera
Tinted Windows
230v Socket
Homelink

The test drive is a formality and unless something goes wrong or it's hideous to drive we'll buy. Our Audi dealership lent us the new Q7 for 3 days and we hated it. It was supremely quiet in the cabin even at motorway speed and the 3.0TDI engine/8 Speed ZF gearbox combo were simply excellent but I hated the way it drove and was hugely disappointed with the build quality and it was just a bit boring.
I don't want an X5 or Merc and can't afford a Range and don't really like the Korean offerings.

Are most people generally happy with their XC90 purchases? I'm really looking forward to having a go on Monday and potentially moving forward with the purchase.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 21:52   #2
tankplanker

The ones I can answer:

1) Real world, what's the difference between PowerPule and non PowerPulse? (Ours will obviously be PP but curious as to the difference it actually made in terms of drive ability - our dealership say not a great deal)

The powerpulse has a tank of air that it uses to spin up the turbo quicker reducing turbo lag. It only has so many goes in a row in it and it doesn't operate above a certain speed, but it does improve response from stationary/low speed crawls. The powerpulse also make a bit more peak power than the non. I think it drops the best part of a second of the 0-60?

For more info: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...-car-may-2016/

2) Does anyone have Osmium Grey with the 20" 5 double spoke diamond cut/matt tech black alloy wheels? Does this combo look good?

I have bright silver with those wheels, I like the wheels but I'd recommend seeing them in the flesh as they might not to be to everyone's taste.

Will you be using the third row much? Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Others have managed to get the fancy second row display by ordering just the rear heated seats.
MY17 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription in Bright Silver with Blond Nappa leather, laminated and tinted side glass, sunroof, power cushions and folding headrests, winter and seven seat comfort packs, heated rear seats, retractable tow bar
tankplanker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tankplanker For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 21:55   #3
jimbg
Master Member

Have a look at third party dog guards and dividers.

The Volvo one splits the boot 50/50 others are more flexible.

Good example: https://www.travall.co.uk/volvo/xc90...vider-tdg1487d
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 07:40   #4
Saltdeanbeach

I have driven over 10,000 miles without and a further 2,000 with powerpulse, and subjectively I feel it makes for a significantly better driving experience and I no longer notice any turbo lag. As you say you are getting it anyway.

I have the seven seat comfort pack and make use of it and would probably pay for it again.
Saltdeanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saltdeanbeach For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 08:32   #5
PerfidiousAlgernon

Take a look at these, too. Far safer than a divider.
www.safedog.co.uk
PerfidiousAlgernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PerfidiousAlgernon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 08:45   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

1) I've driven XC90's with and without PowerPulse. It does improve performance at low revs/speeds but makes little to no difference above about 15 to 20 mph. This is by design.

2) Can't comment but be aware of the noise/ride issues with 20" wheels and Continental tyres.

3) I have blonde leather and it attracts a lot of positive comments. Haven't had my car long enough to say anything about its durability but so far so good.

4) Probably not worth it as long as Volvo continues to add the rear vents and rear climate control unit as part of the heated rear seats option at £300.

5) Can't comment.

Also consider:
  • Winter Plus pack adds adaptive/bending headlamps which are very good
  • If you ordered the Xenium pack you'd get 360 camera and PAP as part of it and the sunroof for (effectively) £650
  • Auxiliary Heater, my favourite option. Not only good in winter but really useful in summer for cooling the parked car on a sunny day by blowing air through. You can turn it on remotely from the Volvo app or set timers.
I'm very happy with my XC90 would recommend it.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 09:54   #7
neon
Premier Member

Hi, your spec is very similar to mine that arrives in Sept, I would also go along with what Lexman said about roof etc. Check out the HUD as part of one of the winter packs as it is good value in the pack. Thing is you can keep going and going with options.
I do not have mine yet so cannot give an opinion as good as those who have the car already.

Last edited by neon; Aug 26th, 2016 at 09:57.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 10:17   #8
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
With a new baby here + our border collie, we quickly realised that our trusty XC60 just simply doesn't have the boot space to load up a pram, carry cot AND take the dog with us.

So...

XC90 time.

Going to the dealer on Monday to test drive. Looking to order new. Drive the Deal now offering circa £5k off a D5 Inscription and our dealer are adamant they won't be beaten on price as we have quite a good relationship.

Few questions to any '90 owners out there:

Not experienced both, but from what I read of those who have, there is a noticeable difference in the alertness of the engine and an improvement in instant pickup, rather than any significant improvements to overall straight line performance.
Quote:
No, I have the standard 20" wheels with Osmium. Kind of wish I had maybe gone for the above to add a little more of a sporty look to the Inscription.
Quote:
3) My wife says black leather but I love the look of Blonde on the configurator. How durable is the blonde leather?
To be honest, with a kid and dog, I'd go with your wife. The Volvo leather is absolutely lovely, but in comparison to standard leather on an Audi and Exclusive Nappa on a BMW I have had previously, its a lot softer and I do find I'm constantly concerned to look after it. We test drove a vehicle with 6 month old blonde leather, the dealer explained it hadn't been looked after, but still, what a mess, stains on the front seat bolsters and real bad marks on the back seats. Therefore I went with black and metal mesh, and really like the look. Personally not keen on the 2 tone steering wheel with the blonde either.
Quote:
How much do you think you'll use all 7 seats? We were 7 up for a total of about 400 miles a week or two back, it was pretty warm outside but never once did I have a complain from the back. I'd definitely consider the heated rear seats which also appears to give you rear climate control and additional vents for not a lot of money.

Quote:
Our spec is going to be the following:

D5 Inscription
Osmium Grey
20" 5 double spoke diamond cut/matt tech black alloy wheels
Blonde Leather
Walnut Trim
Winter Pack
Family pack
Air Suspension
Apple Car Play
BLIS
Surround Camera
Tinted Windows
230v Socket
Homelink
I'd consider the Xenium pack, the pan roof is fantastic and as lexman points out in another reply, it won't make that much different to your price as a couple of options are included. Middle booster seat in family pack is great if you regularly travel with more kids or want to adults in the outer seats and a child in the middle. Also electric child locks are surprisingly useful. I have Apple CarPlay, but not so impressed to be honest, and not sure i would spec it again, it just doesn't seem to fit with the whole Sensus experience very well. Also when connected it disables other USB media and ports completely.
Quote:
The test drive is a formality and unless something goes wrong or it's hideous to drive we'll buy. Our Audi dealership lent us the new Q7 for 3 days and we hated it. It was supremely quiet in the cabin even at motorway speed and the 3.0TDI engine/8 Speed ZF gearbox combo were simply excellent but I hated the way it drove and was hugely disappointed with the build quality and it was just a bit boring.
Agree, Audi Q7 was beautifully refined and a lovely smooth engine. If the Volvo had those two qualities along with all of its other brilliance it would be a formidable vehicle.
Quote:
I don't want an X5 or Merc and can't afford a Range and don't really like the Korean offerings.
Done the X5, the Volvo is such a better car in so many ways. BMW do have lovely 6 cylinder diesel engines though!
Quote:
Are most people generally happy with their XC90 purchases? I'm really looking forward to having a go on Monday and potentially moving forward with the purchase.
Very very happy, particularly now that Volvo are at least making efforts to address the road noise on 20" wheels. There are technical glitches, and every time you get in your not sure what might have a little wobble on your journey, but I believe all these issues are being addressed, and I look forward to every software update. Its a huge practical car, wonderful for big active families, lovely on long runs and a pleasure to step into for every journey. Have done a couple of 3 - 4 hour journeys over the last few weeks, and every time I get out of the wonderful seats at the other end I feel as if I've only been sat down a couple of minutes, no stiffness or back stretching which I've had from every other car apart from an old Range Rover classic!

You'll doubtless have niggles, but on the whole a brilliant car.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 10:17   #9
IJMOK

Not an XC90, or even a current model but my 2005 S60 with 150+K on her has a Cream interior, and I’m amazed at how well its worn, nothing serious to report, it comes up nicely with a good leather cleaner,

If you do plumb for it spend some money on good mat’s as I find most of the muck is on them a good hoover tends to return them to a reasonable state, but I’m possibly due a new set now – 2 years down the line

Having driven a V70 with a nearly identical black interior it feels much nicer with the extra light in the cabin, it’s a bit black hole of Calcutta in the V70
IJMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 10:17   #10
Usualwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
1) I've driven XC90's with and without PowerPulse. It does improve performance at low revs/speeds but makes little to no difference above about 15 to 20 mph. This is by design.

2) Can't comment but be aware of the noise/ride issues with 20" wheels and Continental tyres.

3) I have blonde leather and it attracts a lot of positive comments. Haven't had my car long enough to say anything about its durability but so far so good.

4) Probably not worth it as long as Volvo continues to add the rear vents and rear climate control unit as part of the heated rear seats option at £300.

5) Can't comment.

Also consider:
  • Winter Plus pack adds adaptive/bending headlamps which are very good
  • If you ordered the Xenium pack you'd get 360 camera and PAP as part of it and the sunroof for (effectively) £650
  • Auxiliary Heater, my favourite option. Not only good in winter but really useful in summer for cooling the parked car on a sunny day by blowing air through. You can turn it on remotely from the Volvo app or set timers.
I'm very happy with my XC90 would recommend it.
Regarding the powerpulse engine, do you still suffer that annoying lag delay when pulling out of junctions etc? Its still a constant frustration to me and to be honest I don't notice any difference from the non PP engine that I test drove before purchase. I wonder whether my PP unit isn't working?
Usualwill is offline   Reply With Quote