Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Finally got an R - with lots of issues!

Views : 1325

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 13:10   #1
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Default Finally got an R - with lots of issues!

Hello

We picked up a 1996 855 R auto, it's MOT'd and runs well for 200,000 miles and has a complete interior with all the right details.

Basically, it's worth more in parts but looking at the huge pile if receipts and invoices we think there's a decent car hiding beneath the grime and 'little' problems!

My brother is very keen to restore it sympathetically. We've put new discs and pads on and cleaned the callipers, which don't look like Volvo ones. The suspension bushes and A arms have been changed. Ball joints and track rods are good and the rack was replaced when the rear main seal was done, previous owner spent £1400 on the last service.

Our first problem is the cooling system. It is overpressurising. Possibly time for the head off but there is no trace of gases in the coolant nor water in the oil. Don't want to rebuild the head until we know for sure it's the head gasket.

What causes the coolant to over pressurise?

Matt
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 13:17   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi

the first things i would do is back flush the system and change the thermostat and go from there

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 14:01   #3
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi

the first things i would do is back flush the system and change the thermostat and go from there

cheers

simon
Thanks, it has a new radiator/transmission cooler and thermostat. We drained out the coolant and thermostat and renewed the firewall connector. I am wondering if the heater matrix is blocked or there is air in the system.
Matt
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 15:03   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi

ok in that case when u refilled the system did u make sure the heater was on hot and fan on full power? if not this can cause air locks

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 15:28   #5
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Definatly try for air locks and blockages before you strip the head off, are the heaters getting hot when engine is up to temp?, does car overheat, does the cooling rad fan kick in, check oil for water contamination, you may already know but the dipstick tube often has mayonaisse in due to condensation and may falsely point towards a head gasket
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 15:29   #6
andrewc1267
Master Member

my mate had the same problem on an ex police v70 and it turned out to the expansion bottle cap the valve in the cap was knackered poss worth trying as they can only be cheap
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:11   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yep, the caps are prone to failure. I changed mine as a matter of course when I bought my 850R - the later cap is green and is less prone to failure. I have a spare (used) one if you want it? You can have it for postage cost if you like - I was going to chuck it out anyway

Shame you've changed the discs already - did you fit 302s or put the std 280s on? The 302s are cheap upgrades from Rufe and make a notable difference.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 11:23   #8
walbor

Expansion cap first-I had this problem on a BMW-the guy I bought it off had changed the radiator,thermostat,waterpump and gave up,I paid £300 quid for it and a tenner later it was fine.

It could also be a cracked head with water leaking into the cylinders-any white steam coming from the exhaust?
walbor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to walbor For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:26   #9
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

We've thrown away the old grey cap. Replaced with a new green cap. We flushed out the radiator which despite being a few months old was still spewing out crud.

We refilled it slowly and let it run to temp. I let it run without it's cap for 5 mins and it gurgled a lot. I let the top hose leak out some water and air then refastened it.

It is running great it never over heated or ran too hot. The coolant level stays the same.

Now to look at the motor. Like all R's and T5's it uses a bit of oil. Just working out how much but it has done 200k miles.

Matt
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 20:55   #10
patchis
1996 850 2.5 20v 96k mls

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews 855 T5 View Post
We've thrown away the old grey cap. Replaced with a new green cap. We flushed out the radiator which despite being a few months old was still spewing out crud.

We refilled it slowly and let it run to temp. I let it run without it's cap for 5 mins and it gurgled a lot. I let the top hose leak out some water and air then refastened it.

It is running great it never over heated or ran too hot. The coolant level stays the same.

Now to look at the motor. Like all R's and T5's it uses a bit of oil. Just working out how much but it has done 200k miles.

Matt
Just run in nicely now then :-)
patchis is offline   Reply With Quote