Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water Pump, to change or not to change

Views : 1442

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 15:37   #1
Mikeetubster

Default Water Pump, to change or not to change

Afternoon all,

I'm about to change the Timing belt on my V70 2.4 D5. I know I have to change the tensioners and pulley bits and the fan belt, but wanted advice on whether to change the water pump while I'm at it.

I've heard they don't tend to fail dramatically and cause loads of damage, but fail slowly overtime. Usually pre-empted by a water leak. I'll be servicing the car at the same time so I'll be draining the coolant anyway, just wondering if it's worth doing at the moment as there's nothing wrong with the current one.

The car is a 53 registered 2004 with only 42k miles on the clock (this is not a typo, it is genuine miles) so the water pump hasn't really done that much work, and if I can save myself a few quid I may as well.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend,

Michael
Mikeetubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 15:53   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Common sense I think. If it's leaking or rough, change - otherwise no. They have an excellent reputation and needn't be changed as a matter of course.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 17:50   #3
Fortune7
VOC Member

I asked the same question to a senior mechanic at our main Volvo dealer yesterday. He reckons water pumps last well over 200k miles, but I suppose there's always the odd exception. My V70 has done 92k, will get the belt changed at 96k, and I won't be changing the pump unless it starts leaking or squealing before then, if this helps.

Cheers, Andy
Fortune7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune7 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 18:54   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeetubster View Post
Afternoon all,

I'm about to change the Timing belt on my V70 2.4 D5. I know I have to change the tensioners and pulley bits and the fan belt, but wanted advice on whether to change the water pump while I'm at it.

I've heard they don't tend to fail dramatically and cause loads of damage, but fail slowly overtime. Usually pre-empted by a water leak. I'll be servicing the car at the same time so I'll be draining the coolant anyway, just wondering if it's worth doing at the moment as there's nothing wrong with the current one.

The car is a 53 registered 2004 with only 42k miles on the clock (this is not a typo, it is genuine miles) so the water pump hasn't really done that much work, and if I can save myself a few quid I may as well.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend,

Michael
You wont need a pump , i've yet to hear of one which has had a bearing fail since they were introduced on the 960 in 1990 !
The test is rotate it by hand , spin it , it whould be nice and smooth with no harsh spinning sound , Don't worry about a just detecatable amount of play thats normal . Volvo chose the very best quality bearings and seals for these pumps for obvious reasons , they didnt want their reputation tarnished by engines being wrecked by poor quality bearings failing , and they have been proved right over time . This is still the case today with water pumps , but fords intervention has caused a few problems with aux belt tensioner pulleys from about 2006 to the present day !
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 18:56   #5
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Useful link

Hi mike,

Dont know if you came across this useful thread on changing the D5 timing belt,

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138030

Only tricky bit is that crankshaft nut ..! @ 300nM
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 19:35   #6
Richmann

Smile

Never changed a pump yet in the last 10 years of having volvos and doing 100000s of miles. Even on cars with 250000 miles on them.
Just my opinion I do the belt, tensioners and idlers every time I do a belt.

Rich
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:07   #7
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You wont need a pump , i've yet to hear of one which has had a bearing fail since they were introduced on the 960 in 1990 !
The test is rotate it by hand , spin it , it whould be nice and smooth with no harsh spinning sound , Don't worry about a just detecatable amount of play thats normal . Volvo chose the very best quality bearings and seals for these pumps for obvious reasons , they didnt want their reputation tarnished by engines being wrecked by poor quality bearings failing , and they have been proved right over time . This is still the case today with water pumps , but fords intervention has caused a few problems with aux belt tensioner pulleys from about 2006 to the present day !
Hmm, wish i'd know this, when we bought our XC90 i had the cambelt changed, and the water pump which is standard for VWs these days. Used a genuine beltkit but non-genuine pump
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:09   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
Hmm, wish i'd know this, when we bought our XC90 i had the cambelt changed, and the water pump which is standard for VWs these days. Used a genuine beltkit but non-genuine pump
Its not a VW, i rate swedish engineering higher .
Oh dear , well you have done away with volvo's proven virtualy everlasting water pump and replaced it by one of unknown reliability and lifespan , i wish you good luck ...
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 19:25   #9
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Unhappy

Just my luck, and me being a little OCD, i've now added a new job to the list!
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 19:49   #10
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
i rate swedish engineering higher
Although the bearings in them are made in the Czech Republic

Tags
service, timing belt, water pump