Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dilemma: used S60R or new S60 D5?

Views : 1209

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 00:43   #1
stu_911

Default Dilemma: used S60R or new S60 D5?

Hello all,

As it usually gets around here, I'm a newbie aiming for S60. I already made my choice with the car, now considering the motor variant suitable for my purposes.

Driving 40k miles p.a. for business, usually a 1:1 mix of long travels (90% of which is motorways, 30% German no speed limit) and a city (short, stop-and-go). I definitely enjoy driving with a healthy portion of enthusiasm and fear (lol), 27 yrs. old (just to complete the picture).

I'd like to get me a S60R 04-2003, 20k miles, well cared vehicle, but am partly afraid of the running costs (lower mpg, service, insurance, tyres). Therefore I've been considering the new 185HP D5 engine version, purchase price about the same as for the used R version.

Could anyone answer this tricky question: are all the features of the R version worth the extra money paid?

I live in Prague, where some of the major roads are badly damaged, some of them stone-block paved or even with holes. The car gets used up pretty quickly in such conditions (all interior starts creaking after some while even in luxury-class cars), therefore Four-C, 18 inch wheels and a lightweight petrol engine is for me the biggest argument (no doubt the D5 is much heavier). Other items can be purchased with the D5 as well (RTI-nav, telephone etc.).

The petrol/diesel price is even in this country, due to the massive use of diesel might become even more expensive.

Pls. advice, I know there will be a couple of you driving the S60R.

Thanks, Stu.-
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:27   #2
volvotuning

Default RE: Dilemma: used S60R or new S60 D5?

I think the best choice would be the D5 with 16" wheels.

Adam.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 22:13   #3
Wayne3940

The 2.4L petrol and diesel use the same alloy block ( not cast iron) so I don't think there is much, if any difference in the weight.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 18:09   #4
Karel

The logical decision should be to go for D5. But driving S60R is really amazing. And do not be afraid of Prague´s roads. I have driven my S60 2,0T in Prague and Czechia without any problem.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 17:26   #5
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

I have an S60 D5 SE auto and would thoroughly recommend it for high mileage, business use. I do about 25K per year. Mine has 17" alloys, which look good and stick well on corners, but the ride can be a bit harsh in town and over cobbles etc. I have heard that the S60 D5 with 16" rims is the best compromise for all but the most hardened boy racer!

Regards,

Andy
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 23:55   #6
stu_911

Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations, but the R version is something I really need to try. I've heard enough not to buy and drive it (well, don't we have an oil crisis?), but I can't resist. Maybe I'll prove myself as too immature, but at the end, it's just money ;}.

I've read also a lot of articles about the R versions, one of the recommendations was to go for the V70R instead of the S60R because of it's driving behaviour (the longer and heavier back has potential to overdrive).

I've found a nice V70R piece, 2 years old, 25t km. (almost new), located in Belgium and very well treated. I have one month to decide, but can guess what will be the decision...

Thanks&regards,
Stu.-