Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840715

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2021, 16:16   #971
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one failed to get any bids (opening price was £3,200) - it is a 1990 GL saloon with 220,000 miles:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124876972...53.m1438.l2649

:-)
... it is now for sale again with an opening price of £2,900:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124907842...53.m1438.l2649

... no bids so far, I still think that is on the expensive side for a 1990 motor car with 220,000 miles so we may see it again in a week or so (perhaps with an opening price of £2,500, and maybe £2,100 the week after that - it should get some bids at that price).

Alan :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2021 at 16:19. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 17:00   #972
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
... und mich auch!
Ja! Genau !
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 19:54   #973
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be against having a MoT or other check for the RB or the Bloop, but all the time the law it is at it is I will not be paying anyone to conduct a test on either of them. I maintain the motor car and motorcycle both well, so paying someone else to tell me that would (in my humble opinion) be a daft thing for me to do.

Having a few perks from the government - such as MoT and tax exemption on two of my older vehicles - are things I won't readily relinquish. I don't think that makes me an irresponsible owner; I'm just one that follows the law.

Just my views.

Alan
Sadly my own 760 handed me the evidence to prove my side of that argument this afternoon Alan, something i thought was just mud on the wheelarch turned out to be a crusty bit of underseal (only recently become like that as well) hiding a 50p (old 50p) sized hole which was just inside the 12" proscribed distance to fail sadly.

Only thing it did fail on though! That said he nearly failed it on emissions as he was waiting for the cat to warm up to drop the CO down - it doesn't even have a cat and was only just over the limits for a cat-equipped car so he agreed it was running extremely cleanly!

Considering i was only in the front wheelarches a few days ago and mistook the rust for dirt, it shows it's easily missed - it also helped having it on the ramp to see it properly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:04   #974
cra71

I've been looking for a new car for a few weeks now and the prices are pretty crazy.
cra71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cra71 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:15   #975
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sadly my own 760 handed me the evidence to prove my side of that argument this afternoon Alan, something i thought was just mud on the wheelarch turned out to be a crusty bit of underseal (only recently become like that as well) hiding a 50p (old 50p) sized hole which was just inside the 12" proscribed distance to fail sadly.

Only thing it did fail on though! That said he nearly failed it on emissions as he was waiting for the cat to warm up to drop the CO down - it doesn't even have a cat and was only just over the limits for a cat-equipped car so he agreed it was running extremely cleanly!

Considering i was only in the front wheelarches a few days ago and mistook the rust for dirt, it shows it's easily missed - it also helped having it on the ramp to see it properly.
I'm sorry to hear of your motor car's MoT failure Dave - out with the MiG welder.

My issue is with the nanny state we all live in that keeps trying to control every aspect of our lives through ever increasing regulation and licencing. I'll always obey the law - and I'm most happy to certify the RB and the Bloop myself, that being what the government requires me to do (but not one iota more).

Alan
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:21   #976
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra71 View Post
I've been looking for a new car for a few weeks now and the prices are pretty crazy.
This one looks like it may go for sensible money if you fancy some risk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174943865...53.m1438.l2649

... it will only have 5 days worth of MoT test left at the end of the auction, but if it fails to make a grand (which I suspect it might) then that may be worth the risk.

It looks like the seller has neglected the maintenance a bit - presenting it for MoT every year without preparation, and then just fixing the minimum to get it through the re-test, so that might be a challenge (why would you not want a challenge if buying a 34 year old car). It looks like it may need a bit of welding at the back.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2021 at 21:22. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:26   #977
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks Alan, hopefully the hardest part will be finding some suitable metal to let in to the footwell. Got some 2mm thick stuff i used on my Jeep chassis where the steering box mounted but i think that would be a bit too thick!

Also got part of an outer sill (it was used to make other patches at some point and only the unused bit remains) which is probably about the right thickness and if push comes to shove, i have a couple of wings although reluctant to use them as they're going for stupid money on fleabay at the moment!

I do agree about the nanny state, i just think there should be a mechanism (mandatory or voluntary) where a basic go/no-go quick check over to ensure things we can't always see without an MoT ramp are still structurally sound. Kind of a halfway-house between self-certification and a full mandatory MoT test.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:56   #978
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, hopefully the hardest part will be finding some suitable metal to let in to the footwell. Got some 2mm thick stuff i used on my Jeep chassis where the steering box mounted but i think that would be a bit too thick!

Also got part of an outer sill (it was used to make other patches at some point and only the unused bit remains) which is probably about the right thickness and if push comes to shove, i have a couple of wings although reluctant to use them as they're going for stupid money on fleabay at the moment!

I do agree about the nanny state, i just think there should be a mechanism (mandatory or voluntary) where a basic go/no-go quick check over to ensure things we can't always see without an MoT ramp are still structurally sound. Kind of a halfway-house between self-certification and a full mandatory MoT test.
B&Q sells 1mm thick MS sheet that is quite good for small repairs. It comes in small sheets about 2'x1' (no doubt some metric near equivalent) for about a fiver (from memory). I generally keep some for small repairs - it is thin enough to use my joddler tool and saves cutting up good panels. Buy the plain MS one, not the galvanised one for welding.

I disagree about the half-way MoT test, it would just become another job creation scheme. The nanny state already insists on lots of needless regulation covering almost every aspect of our lives. We see this everywhere: it is no longer possible to buy battery acid without a licence (what! I hear you say), I suspect the next thing will be banning our shotguns (what! I hear you say). My view is there are almost no incidents of poorly maintained historic vehicles causing accidents (I don't think I've ever heard of one) so regulation isn't necessary.

I don't really care if people want to have their historic cars checked voluntarily - I have no view on what other folk should waste their time or money on (as long as they don't expect me to waste my time or money similarly).

Alan :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2021 at 21:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 22:17   #979
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks Alan, that would be this then?

https://www.diy.com/departments/silv.../253915_BQ.prd

Sadly out of stock for Click & Collect at my local store though. Would have been ideal too!

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 06:01   #980
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, that would be this then?

https://www.diy.com/departments/silv.../253915_BQ.prd

Sadly out of stock for Click & Collect at my local store though. Would have been ideal too!
That looks like it Dave - maybe the price has increased a little (I thought it had been about a fiver last time I bought one - but that may just be my memory failing).

I have found with B&Q that sometimes the item may be in stock, even though the click and collect button doesn't work. This seems to be particularly true with low cost/high turnover items. It might be worth dropping in to a nearby store if you happen to be passing - there might just be a stack on the shelf that don't show up on the computer.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 22nd, 2021 at 06:09. Reason: Grammar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: