Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon 131 SAO 510G

Views : 758

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 23:34   #1
Brian Walsh

Default Amazon 131 SAO 510G

Hi

I am new to the forum. Does anyone know anything about this car? I bought it 2 months ago. Basically sound, but needs work. Fuel tank removed today to fix hairline crack at bottom of filler neck. any advice? also steering box leaking badly plus some engine oil leaks to suss out. Again, any advice please?

Many thanks

Brian
Brian Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:44   #2
Alf ista
Premier Member

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum. I see it has a British reg. Do you know was it imported in recently, or did you bring it in yourself and if so from what part of the UK? That kind of detail would help the regular guys on here. Also, any pictures of it would be good. Best of luck with it anyway, they are a great car. Hugh.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:45   #3
Brian Walsh

Default 131 Reg SAO 510G

Thanks Hugh,

I brought it in myself, and it is now on a ZV reg. The car was bought in the London region. Nice to know there are other Amazon fans over in this side of the pond!

Brian
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 17:37   #4
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

Well let some one who knows what they are doing weld on the gas tank if you decide to do that. Depending on how big the cracks are, the POR-15 gas tank repair kit may be an option. I have used a few of them over the years for tanks that have pin holes in them from water. I have been very happy with the results but you have to take your time...

There are kits available for rebuilding the steering boxes.

As for oil leaks from the engine... Clean the engine and decide exactly where they are coming from. Valve cover is the easist to deal with by making sure the stamped cover is flat and then replace the cork gasket. Front main seal/timing gear cover is a bit more of a change but replace that seal with a modern neopream one (the cover will require machining or buy one) and the rear main seal can also be updated. Originally the two main seals were simply felt. But the rear seal you will have to pull the trans and clutch....

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:25   #5
Brian Walsh

Default SAO 510g Amazon

Thanks Chris for the very useful info. Re. the tank, I have it out and washed with water, and it is venting so should be to solder in a week or so.

Brian
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 23:31   #6
1966 122s

I am also over in Ireland with my amazon . I allso found a hairline crack where filler neck joins main tank when I brought mine in from the UK. I understand this is a common problerm and at least in my case it was simply due to pressure on the neck and the tank when a new tank had been fitted. The tank and and neck were both perfect apart from the hairline crack at the seam.

I found a simple solution: I used a soldering iron to melt solder over the hairline crack with the tank in situ. This worked perfectly. You will have decide on the safety for yourself, but my impression is that this is not hot enough to be a significant concern. I did it with tank in site ( and full of petrol as I felt the vapour rather than the liquid was the issue) on a cold day in a well ventilated area (outside!) , hence took less than 10 minutes. I am sure there is an EU regulation against this, but Ireland didn't vote for the Lisbon treaty.

If you are new to amazons and don't have a parts supplier: I tend to buy parts from Brookhouse Volvo. Simon there is very helpful and with the euro to sterling exchange rate their prices are reasonable. His number is 00441473218806. Also have a look at the following website for an idea of the parts available:
http://www.skandix.de/pdf/pricelists...lvo_Amazon.pdf
Never bought from them yet, but the pdf brochuregives you an idea.

I am down in the sunny southeast of Ireland.It might be worth us Irish Amazon owners having a nater. I am aware of another in South East and a cream 1966 amazon that makes it to shows around the Cork area.

Graham

Last edited by 1966 122s; Jan 6th, 2009 at 23:56.
1966 122s is offline   Reply With Quote