Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603545

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 08:50   #1881
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Hi, is this engine the 2 litre or the 2.4 litre ?
This is the 2.0L VEA D4 engine from 2014
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 10:45   #1882
Craig S

This may or may not have been asked before.

What are the physical differences between the original EGR Cooler and the Revised EGR Cooler? It is possible to look at the two components side by side and see external differences? Or are the differences purely internal?
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 11:19   #1883
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
This may or may not have been asked before.

What are the physical differences between the original EGR Cooler and the Revised EGR Cooler? It is possible to look at the two components side by side and see external differences? Or are the differences purely internal?
the finned channels inside are larger to allow the more free passage of soot particles . you would notice if you had the two side by side but not necessarily by just looking at one ..
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 11:31   #1884
Craig S

The only reason I was asking was the fact that Volvo said my car had a replacement EGR Cooler fitted, but were very sketchy as to whether it was a straight like for like replacement of the original or whether it was indeed a revised EGR Cooler.

I fear I am going to be hit with a sizeable bill for the work that has to be carried out then am going to have to take up a fight with Volvo UK for a contribution.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 12:37   #1885
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The only reason I was asking was the fact that Volvo said my car had a replacement EGR Cooler fitted, but were very sketchy as to whether it was a straight like for like replacement of the original or whether it was indeed a revised EGR Cooler.

I fear I am going to be hit with a sizeable bill for the work that has to be carried out then am going to have to take up a fight with Volvo UK for a contribution.
The latest coolers have been out for almost a year now … Getting the latest software either whilst being fixed or at the next service is quite important also to get on top of this ...
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 15:39   #1886
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The latest coolers have been out for almost a year now … Getting the latest software either whilst being fixed or at the next service is quite important also to get on top of this ...
Well, according to the service department at the Volvo Carlisle my car had a revised EGR fitted at point of manufacture..... which was in 2014......

I now have no idea as to whether I am eligible for any contribution for the replacement parts because of the fact that it has not needed a new cooler before now.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 15:48   #1887
gillypop

It seems difficult to get info out of Volvo on the status of this. I tried to find out from the dealer that had serviced mine. It had been in for a service at approx 90k in feb but had then had an ECM upgrade (turns out software) at 101k at the end of June. So hoping it has the latest and hopefully final fix.

Become less of a worry now that someone ran into the back of it whilst waiting at a red light.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 20:34   #1888
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Well, according to the service department at the Volvo Carlisle my car had a revised EGR fitted at point of manufacture..... which was in 2014......

I now have no idea as to whether I am eligible for any contribution for the replacement parts because of the fact that it has not needed a new cooler before now.
They have probably replaced something to do with the EGR system since 2014 , and before 2014 and now ..

I think your best move is to go to a different dealer and establish the facts from the information on the car's file .. , what has been done and when and what is still covered … or not .. And most importantly what actually needs doing ..
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 11:31   #1889
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They have probably replaced something to do with the EGR system since 2014 , and before 2014 and now ..

I think your best move is to go to a different dealer and establish the facts from the information on the car's file .. , what has been done and when and what is still covered … or not .. And most importantly what actually needs doing ..
Thanks Clan,

I think my course of action will be to contact the dealership that carried out the servicing up to the point of my ownership, however, I am not sure that they will be able to provide any information.... data protection and all that.

The cooler has now been switched out, and the not insignificant bill has been paid.

I will see what Volvo UK say.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 11:43   #1890
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan,

I think my course of action will be to contact the dealership that carried out the servicing up to the point of my ownership, however, I am not sure that they will be able to provide any information.... data protection and all that.

The cooler has now been switched out, and the not insignificant bill has been paid.

I will see what Volvo UK say.
contact them , a fresh pair of eyes , explain your story and they can look up the history , at least they can explain what should have happened a week or so ago ...