Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Winter Tyres Q's

Views : 1669

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 21:04   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Not sure what to make of this. In the UK, 18" wheels are not available as standard on an XC90 and the only winter ones are those I referenced above.

The notes below, copied from the accessory website, clearly state that 18" wheels are unsuitable for a T8.
Notes
When changing to another approved tyre dimension, the application for steering deflection limiter and/or speedometer may be needed. Contact your local Volvo dealer for more information.
Not suitable for Twin Engine.
This accessory might not be available in all countries. Please contact your local Volvo dealership for more information.
The only other thing I can think of is that different, and compatible, 18" wheels are available in NL.
Would be very surprised if they can get 18s to fit the T8. Even the 10 spoke 19s don't fit over the brake disks on the front - which is why the T8 comes with the 6 spoke 19s. But hey will be interesting to know for sure.

I guess they could down spec the front brakes in the markets with a legal requirement for winters, but struggle to see how they would maintain the brake efficiency.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 23:30   #12
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Would be very surprised if they can get 18s to fit the T8. Even the 10 spoke 19s don't fit over the brake disks on the front - which is why the T8 comes with the 6 spoke 19s.
I always thought it was a weight load issue that meant the 10 spoke 19 wasn’t fitted to the T8, same reason 20” style #234 isn’t available on the T8 (which is a shame as that’s a pretty wheel)

I’m minded to put Michelin Cross Climate on mine when factory tyres are through. They’re now available in the standard 20” size in XL rating
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 08:10   #13
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
I always thought it was a weight load issue that meant the 10 spoke 19 wasn’t fitted to the T8, same reason 20” style #234 isn’t available on the T8 (which is a shame as that’s a pretty wheel)

I’m minded to put Michelin Cross Climate on mine when factory tyres are through. They’re now available in the standard 20” size in XL rating
I also recall reading it’s a load issue with T8

Cross Climates are the safe choices unless one needs ultimate snow performance in winter. They are mediocre to poor in snow compared to full winters but beat summers. how often do we get real deep snow and usually traffic is not moving fast enough for it to matter. They will get you out of snow which is what you need - you just won’t be overtaking slow traffic in them; they will give you safety on black ice on first icy mornings before you swapped from your summers and they will give you performance during hot spells in winter. My conti winters are noticeably weaker on dry warm road (hot spell around Xmas two winters ago) - it’s very rare and they are progressive and give good feedback but grip is just not there.
. I think on average cross climates will be much safer to run (by that I mean the most appropriate tyre for conditions on average) than having two sets (unless you own a tyre shop that can swap depending on what the day is like) and you don’t have the stress of deciding when to swap seasons. Oh yeah minus the storage minus the cost of swapping minus the tiny risk that they do get damaged during swapping.

I will switch to cross climates from end of next summer season when my winters will be 4 seasons (low mileage) and really should not be used again.

Last edited by Deman77; Aug 3rd, 2018 at 08:14.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:30   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:

If I bought wheels with the sensors in them (or bought the sensors and fitted them to my new wheels) for my second set, do you know if it would be a straight swap and the car would recognise the new sensors or do you think that they would have to coded to the car each wheel swap? I guess I could always just run without TPMS during the winter, but I reckon the constant errors would probably drive me up the wall.
Hi Philip,

I'm not absolutely certain about swapping sensors but they do have to be paired to the car which would imply getting them coded every time you swap. It's conceivable that the car could store two sets of sensors but I very much doubt it.

My mate with an R-Design, 20" wheels and direct TPMS looked into getting winter wheels and tyres. I can't remember the exact story but he decided it was all gonna be too hard and difficult so he swapped to all-season tyres; Pirelli iirc. I think Michelin Cross Climates are now available in 20" so they might be a simpler solution.

As to running without TPMS, there's probably insurance/legal implications?

Quote:
p.s. Your link does not appear to work, I just get a 404 error.
Yep, doesn't work for me now either. In fact, I can't access any of the accessory wheel pages now; the links on the accessory pages either don't work or take you round in circles. Looks like another Volvo IT cockup.
_
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:40   #15
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM
Not sure about that, my T8 Momentum order spec. here in NL says it comes with 18" wheels, which is also as per the online configurator here.
Quote:
Would be very surprised if they can get 18s to fit the T8. Even the 10 spoke 19s don't fit over the brake disks on the front - which is why the T8 comes with the 6 spoke 19s. But hey will be interesting to know for sure.

I guess they could down spec the front brakes in the markets with a legal requirement for winters, but struggle to see how they would maintain the brake efficiency.
Seems that AWM was referring (wrongly) to an XC60 which may well be available with 18" wheels.
_
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 10:06   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Maybe cross climates will be the way to go then. Looks like the TPMS system will be a pain and yes 2 sets and the changing over is all a load of hassle. If we do get loads of snow I will always have the V60 which runs separate winter and summer sets.....

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Aug 3rd, 2018 at 10:12.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 10:11   #17
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post

That is an interesting thought. However the front disks on a T8 are enormous. My spare will fit front and back of a D5 but will not fit front of my T8.

I have not, however, actually tried the 10 spoke on the T8 so I am not absolutely certain that it wont fit. I guess that is the only way to say for certain if it is clearance or loading.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 12:39   #18
MaDProFF
Master Member

I am looking at getting some rims (would like 19's) for winter tyres, as there are only one set of tyres that can go on the 21"'s I have atm, although good tyres, the cost is horrendous.

Mine is a XC90 T8 Design Pro
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 16:56   #19
ergonomist

Quote:
Hi Lexman

I am contemplating buying my lease T8 at the end of the lease and then I am also contemplating about running it with winter tyres.

Mine has the original system with the sensors in each wheel.

If I bought wheels with the sensors in them (or bought the sensors and fitted them to my new wheels) for my second set, do you know if it would be a straight swap and the car would recognise the new sensors or do you think that they would have to coded to the car each wheel swap? I guess I could always just run without TPMS during the winter, but I reckon the constant errors would probably drive me up the wall.

p.s. Your link does not appear to work, I just get a 404 error.

I have an MY16 Inscription. Got a reasonable deal on Volvo 19" rims plus pirelli scorpion winter tyres and TPMS sensors. Now had two winters with them - each time I just swap wheels and press the calibration button on sensus. All seems to work - reports tyre pressures as it should.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 17:41   #20
karlak

Really surprised that Volvo dealers dont offer a winter tyre/wheel package, where they store the wheels for you and then fit and remove. I can't recall who it was, maybe it was BMW that offered this service - for a price of course.

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote