Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Adblue issues?

Views : 2579

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 12:19   #1
rubachuk

Default XC90 Adblue issues?

Hi All. First time post.

I have a 6 week old XC90 D5. Yesterday the Adblue low warning came up on the dash at just over 1000 miles done, despite showing as virtually fully on the status screen. I also noticed a leak, which looked and felt like water from underneath the passenger footwell. I'm inclined to think the two are linked. I was wondering if there is a known issue? Search reveals nothing.

The car is going back to Volvo in the morning. They have said that the aircon drain is under the passenger footwell so don't worry about that, however if that was the problem (with the leak at least) I'm sure it would be dripping from a pipe and not from the edge of the plastic under-trim thing.
rubachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 13:15   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Can’t help with the adblue issue but I’m certain the leak is a/c condensation related..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 14:12   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

When your aircon is running the condensed air drains away and forms a puddle under your car when stationary. It is more likely to be that.
I think there is an issue with the adblue level light, I had a loan car while mine was in for service and the adblue light was on, I informed the dealer when I took it back to be told it had been filled up the day before, a few members on here are having the same problem.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 1st, 2018 at 14:16.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 14:35   #4
rubachuk

Cheers both. Just a huge coincidence that two issues seem to have occurred at precisely the same time, and I'd be amazed and disappointed if the aircon was designed to drain/drip onto the top of the undertray and then drip off the edge.

I'll report back from the dealers when I know.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 17:11   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubachuk View Post
Cheers both. Just a huge coincidence that two issues seem to have occurred at precisely the same time, and I'd be amazed and disappointed if the aircon was designed to drain/drip onto the top of the undertray and then drip off the edge.

I'll report back from the dealers when I know.
I have been parked outside a shop with engine running waiting for my wife and had people pointing to my car and saying you have a leak, which has been the aircon drain.

Every car I have had created a puddle if you run the aircon while stationary, the drain pipe ran through the floor on the passenger side on my Mk 1 XC90's and may be the same with the SPA models, even my Landrover Defender does this just behind the passenger side wing.
It is normal for any aircon system to drain like this, of course they only create a puddle while stationary and running.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 18:02   #6
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have been parked outside a shop with engine running waiting for my wife and had people pointing to my car and saying you have a leak, which has been the aircon drain.

Every car I have had created a puddle if you run the aircon while stationary, the drain pipe ran through the floor on the passenger side on my Mk 1 XC90's and may be the same with the SPA models, even my Landrover Defender does this just behind the passenger side wing.
It is normal for any aircon system to drain like this, of course they only create a puddle while stationary and running.
Not true that they only produce a puddle when stationery with engine running, all my cars with air-conditioning have produced a puddle when stationery with engine off. I'm pretty sure that the car drops water when you are travelling as well, it's just you can't see it.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 19:39   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

When the aircon is on, and regardless of whether you're stopped or moving, water from the atmosphere that condenses on the evaporator (cooling coil) will be released through the drain tube. The amount of water produced will vary depending upon the air temperature, humidity level and with the amount of cooling being produced by the system.

Water can continue to form and drip from the car even after the aircon is switched off.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 20:40   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

If the climate temperature is set low in humid weather it will not only drip while running but some ice will form on the evaporator matrix which melts when you switch the engine off, potentially leaving a bigger puddle than expected. Absolutely all cars with air con do this. This is how and why the air inside is dehumidified and dry, sometimes causing throat irritation. I can’t imagine where some people imagine the water removed from the air otherwise goes.

This has nothing to do with any adblue issue. Nothing is impossible of course but I’ve never heard of an Adblue tank leak and it is unlikely, though not impoosible, that a system pipe is leaking

Last edited by Quacker; Aug 1st, 2018 at 21:23.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 21:49   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
Not true that they only produce a puddle when stationery with engine running, all my cars with air-conditioning have produced a puddle when stationery with engine off. I'm pretty sure that the car drops water when you are travelling as well, it's just you can't see it.
Of course they still drain water when they are moving, you mis-understood me or I frased it wrongly, it drains water all the time its running but because you are moving it cant form a puddle. The water will be dispersed along the road. Yes some water may still drain for a short while after you switch off. The main point I was making is that the water is from the aircon unit and produced while it is in commission, and plenty of people mistake it for a leak.
The comment about not forming a puddle while moving was a tongue in cheek one.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 1st, 2018 at 22:05.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 16:03   #10
rubachuk

Volvo confirmed dripping was the aircon. It amazes me that the best solution Volvo came up with for an aircon drain is to let it drip onto the undertray until thats full and it overflows off the edge.

Regarding the Adblue warning, they found nothing. They checked everything was working OK, correct pressures, no leaks, etc, and completed "a process" that Volvo Technical advised them, but no actual fault was found. Fingers crossed that there's no reoccurrence.