Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer advice please

Views : 3955

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 13:28   #1
m2srt

Default Dealer advice please

My wife and I took a new XC40 and XC60 out for back to back test drives from Clive Brook Huddersfield with a view to replace SWMBO's V40 CC. Whilst we were generally impressed with both vehicles the salesman's approach left a lot to be desired. Firstly, he offered £1.5k under book value for my wife's V40 even though it has only done 17500 miles since new (Jan '15), is in immaculate condition (Opti Coat 2.0, Gtechniq glass coating and Tac System on plastics). This I could almost understand but what happened next has become a bit of a joke between myself and SWMBO. Immediately after the test drive, he was trying to shake on a deal before any numbers were discussed and really was quite pushy. Then, when we finally got the numbers, after multiple trips to the 'manager', we found that certain parts of the Affinity offer were removed and then added on as, and I quote, 'I like you both so I'll throw in metallic paint and another £500 off too'. He then went on to say that the 'offer' was only on the table today and he wouldn't be able to honour the deal if we didn't leave a deposit there and then. Needless to say, we got up and left as we felt that this was no way to treat a customer who was buying their 3rd Volvo from the same location.

I would therefore like to ask for some advice please as to an an alternative Volvo dealership as my wife has her heart set on a Volvo.

Also, what would be the better long term ownership proposition, XC40 D4 Inscription or XC60 D4 AWD Momentum ?

Thank you.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 13:51   #2
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
My wife and I took a new XC40 and XC60 out for back to back test drives from Clive Brook Huddersfield with a view to replace SWMBO's V40 CC. Whilst we were generally impressed with both vehicles the salesman's approach left a lot to be desired. Firstly, he offered £1.5k under book value for my wife's V40 even though it has only done 17500 miles since new (Jan '15), is in immaculate condition (Opti Coat 2.0, Gtechniq glass coating and Tac System on plastics). This I could almost understand but what happened next has become a bit of a joke between myself and SWMBO. Immediately after the test drive, he was trying to shake on a deal before any numbers were discussed and really was quite pushy. Then, when we finally got the numbers, after multiple trips to the 'manager', we found that certain parts of the Affinity offer were removed and then added on as, and I quote, 'I like you both so I'll throw in metallic paint and another £500 off too'. He then went on to say that the 'offer' was only on the table today and he wouldn't be able to honour the deal if we didn't leave a deposit there and then. Needless to say, we got up and left as we felt that this was no way to treat a customer who was buying their 3rd Volvo from the same location.

I would therefore like to ask for some advice please as to an an alternative Volvo dealership as my wife has her heart set on a Volvo.

Also, what would be the better long term ownership proposition, XC40 D4 Inscription or XC60 D4 AWD Momentum ?

Thank you.
Based on a single purchase and after sales experience, I can whole heartedly recommend Ray Chapman Motors in York. They have two garages, 1 in York and the other in Malton and remain family owned.

The salesman I dealt with (Steve Long) was very good, but retired shortly after we got our car.

Based on previous experiences with other dealerships (BMW/Audi in Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate), the sales and after sales experience with Ray Chapman would certainly encourage me to stay with Volvo when we change next.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:18   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Whenever you come to a stalemate like that and don't get everything you want within reason. Do what you did and walk but always leave your number and say "if you can offer me a better deal call me but do so before I go else where".
I find May to be the best time to buy. I once went in february and cost to change my car for a new one was £16k. I turned it down. I returned in May after an invite letter to view new models and price dropped to 12k to change. Both deals where for stock zero miles XC90 SE.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:25   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
MyI would therefore like to ask for some advice please as to an an alternative Volvo dealership as my wife has her heart set on a Volvo.
Speak to the sales manager, explain your experience and ask to deal with the sales manager directly to agree the deal.
The (1980s) sharp practices of one salesman shouldn't exclude you from using your dealer of choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:30   #5
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Speak to the sales manager, explain your experience and ask to deal with the sales manager directly to agree the deal.
The (1980s) sharp practices of one salesman shouldn't exclude you from using your dealer of choice.

To be frank, I've had Ray Chapman recommended to me a number of times so I'm probably going to pay them a visit.

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:40   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
To be frank, I've had Ray Chapman recommended to me a number of times so I'm probably going to pay them a visit.
Fair enough but if the other salesman is claiming to give benefits to which you're already entitled, it needs mentioning to someone.
It's really dodgy practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:49   #7
Converted

Quote:

Thank you.

You should be the boss in any transactions as you are the one with the money.

There are so many dealers in the UK and other dealers will be begging for your business. When I got my S90 earlier in the year, I was living in Essex at the time but I ordered the car from a Welsh dealership as a good friend of mine used them. The car was delivered to my front door. Immaculate.

Ring another dealer and I am sure you will save further money and get better service.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Converted For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 15:21   #8
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Fair enough but if the other salesman is claiming to give benefits to which you're already entitled, it needs mentioning to someone.
It's really dodgy practice.
I may drop an email to Volvo HQ. It has annoyed me so much though that I will not touch that dealership again with a bargepole.

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 15:32   #9
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

I would avoid Stoneacre in Sheffield, although I did buy the car from them as it ticked all the boxes and was low in price compared to other 2014 V70's with less equipment.

The sales and after sales experience was a lot to be desired, I was there 4 hours and dealt with 3 salesman. 2 juniors who went back and forth to the guy I met at the door and dealt with on the phone.

They offered me £600 below book price for my 2011 V50, which was £400 below the WBAC quote. I eventually got them up in price, but the killer was which i am kicking myself now, he asked me how I wanted to pay for the car. The shutters came down in any negotiation when I told him I was a cash buyer. He even admitted he can't give me a better deal as I am not taking out finance so there was no money to make on me. Gone ar the days where cash is king.

As part of the sale, I had to sit in front of what was called a compliance manager, which in the end just tried to sell me gap, tyre and so forth insurance.

After sales, I had to bring car back to sort out a paint defect and the Stevie Wonder fitting of my number plate, as was previously on a private plate, also the service indicator was not reset. They had the gal when the paint defect was sorted (3 hour wait) to ask me if I wanted to come back to get the service indicator reset as could not find a mechanic, something that was then done in 5mins when I told them in no certain terms to buck up their ideas and not be so silly.

I might pop this is the dealer experience thread too.

Previous cars - 93 Supra TT JDM 350bhp, 94 TT UK 404bhp, Nissan 200sx S14a 305bhp, 03 XC70 D5 SE, 07 Merc E-Class 280cdi estate, 11 V50 1.6 Drive SE Lux (horrid car)
jamesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesmark For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 15:40   #10
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmark View Post
I would avoid Stoneacre in Sheffield, although I did buy the car from them as it ticked all the boxes and was low in price compared to other 2014 V70's with less equipment.

The sales and after sales experience was a lot to be desired, I was there 4 hours and dealt with 3 salesman. 2 juniors who went back and forth to the guy I met at the door and dealt with on the phone.

They offered me £600 below book price for my 2011 V50, which was £400 below the WBAC quote. I eventually got them up in price, but the killer was which i am kicking myself now, he asked me how I wanted to pay for the car. The shutters came down in any negotiation when I told him I was a cash buyer. He even admitted he can't give me a better deal as I am not taking out finance so there was no money to make on me. Gone ar the days where cash is king.

As part of the sale, I had to sit in front of what was called a compliance manager, which in the end just tried to sell me gap, tyre and so forth insurance.

After sales, I had to bring car back to sort out a paint defect and the Stevie Wonder fitting of my number plate, as was previously on a private plate, also the service indicator was not reset. They had the gal when the paint defect was sorted (3 hour wait) to ask me if I wanted to come back to get the service indicator reset as could not find a mechanic, something that was then done in 5mins when I told them in no certain terms to buck up their ideas and not be so silly.

I might pop this is the dealer experience thread too.
I hate the fact that cash buyers are almost treated as 2nd class citizens. It's kind of indicative of how the concept of 'ownership' is being drummed out of society.

The Following User Says Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post: