Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driveshaft bolt solutions?

Views : 1277

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 12:14   #1
Willber

Default Driveshaft bolt solutions?

Got two aftermarket driveshafts on my car, the bolts supplied with them were greased to high heaven so i opted for Volvo ones but they keep coming loose and I get clunking and axle ping.

The XC90 ones are no longer available.

Whats the latest / best solution? Just put some strong loctite on and hope for the best?

Anyone else find theirs come loose?

Cheers
Willber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 14:41   #2
Ripmax

The later version of the Volvo driveshaft bolts come with thread locker pre-applied. Try blasting the grease/muck out of the threads on the driveshaft with some brake cleaner, before putting the bolts in.

If they're torqued up correctly they shouldn't come loose. Not too sure off the top of my head what the figures are but I think its ??Nm then 90 degrees.
2001 Audi A6 C5 Sport Avant 1.9 TDi - 173k
Ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 15:30   #3
John97Tdi
Master Member

I'm looking at the same situation with my XC. I had 'ping' from a rear driveshaft so bought a new bolt and torqued it to 35nm + 90 deg. Ping came back in about 3 weeks. I've now got similar noises from the front so I want to change all the driveshaft bolts but since they are all use once stretch bolts I want to do it right the first time.
There are many apparent 'solutions' out there,the legendary,and no longer available, XC90 bolts, adding locktite to the threads,putting locktite on the splines,putting plumbing sealant on the splines, introducing additional grease into the CV joints,either by removing the boots or injecting through the bolt hole. All of these have apparently worked for some people but like I say I want to do this once rather than repeating my above experience so any 'definitive' solutions to axle ping welcome!

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 17:17   #4
Willber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmax View Post
The later version of the Volvo driveshaft bolts come with thread locker pre-applied. Try blasting the grease/muck out of the threads on the driveshaft with some brake cleaner, before putting the bolts in.

If they're torqued up correctly they shouldn't come loose. Not too sure off the top of my head what the figures are but I think its ??Nm then 90 degrees.
Yep, tried those and they came loose! Its 35nm + 90 degrees.... I also cleaned the threads up before putting the new ones in.

Ive removed them and re-applied some loctite 243 which is oil/grease resistant so will see how that goes (I know theyre supposed to be used once, but its not like the wheels are going to fall off if they come loose again like they already have!) Even if they snap its not terminal

There are an XC90 bolt copy available on amazon from the US but quite pricey.

I'm tempted to try proper threadlock that requires heat to undo as a last resort.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 20:05   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Even if they snap its not terminal
No but it very annoying!!! especially on a Sunday!
Snapped mine putting it in. New bolt had loctite on it, I torqued up and did the extra turn. It snapped.
Eventually I realised the internal thread had old loctite still in so after the initial torque it had locked with the loctite so when I did the extra turn it just snapped. Panic. Luckily there was 5mm of thread sticking out, bit of heat on the shaft to soften the loctite and it just spun out. After that and on the other side I ran a tap in the thread to clear out the old loctite first and just before the new bolt with loctite on. However looking at the bolt that snapped (FAG bearing and bolt) it didn't look as good as the Volvo one I took out. So the Volvo ones went back in again! on both sides.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 09:07   #6
CricketyJimin

Out of interest since I might need one someday soon, where did you get the driveshafts from, and are you happy with them?
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 17:00   #7
Willber

I have a J&R passenger side one and another aftermarket one on the driver side (from euro car parts). Yhey seem OK, not as well built as the OEM GKN ones but have done around 10k on them so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willber For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 11:49   #8
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile my experiences

i have replaced the bolts many times, never had a problem with them loosening but my driveshafts are original parts, and always using volvo bolts which have the larger washer on them (i think from xc90), could the thread or material of your aftermarket driveshafts be slightly different causing them to come loose maybe due to expansion when warmed? 35nm + 90deg sounds correct.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 12:06   #9
john493
Spannering since birth

You could Loctite the splines into the hub, but if you need to change the CV joint or wheel bearing they will be a nightmare to dismantle. Avoid if possible.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 12:46   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
You could Loctite the splines into the hub, but if you need to change the CV joint or wheel bearing they will be a nightmare to dismantle. Avoid if possible.
Agreed - the best way is a completely clean and grease free internal shaft thread and either new Volvo drive shaft bolts or comparable OE spec generic torque bolts.

Re-using the old bolts is not a good idea as they have already been stretched to their design characteristic limit so re-using them and fitting them to the quoted torque plus 90° stretches an already stretched bolt beyond its designed limit.

NB the reason the older XC90 wheel bolts with the rubber cone inserts were discontinued was due to observed and recorded moisture retention which lead to corrosion of the drive shaft and wheel bolt threads which could have lead to "catastrophic failure leading to cascading system failure" ie loss of traction and/or directional control; it implies that re-using previously used bolts runs the risk of achieving that same outcome.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: