Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027410

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 05:56   #2631
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Surprised you didn't order both bushes Alan? Even if the other looks good at the moment, it will be on borrowed time once you've renewed the deceased one and will collapse soon after, causing excess wear on the new one to happen. Chances are you can find the other one on Amazon too and have that landing via prime tomorrow as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
would make sense to do both bushes while the rod is off and the tools are out
... okay chaps, I've ordered the one for the other end as well. It will be here on Thursday :-)
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 10:05   #2632
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A wise move Alan! Won't be surprised to hear you find problems with the other apparently ok bush when you do the job.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 16:07   #2633
Othen
Premier Member

Default Panhard Rod Bush

I had not a lot to do this morn, the axle side bush for the RB's Panhard rod had arrived, so I thought I might as well get on and change it. After all thought I: it will only take an hour...

So, I jacked up the RB and took off the rod, all that took no more than 10 minutes. Removing the old bush took another 5 or 10 minutes - fortunately the hole in the middle is just big enough to fit a metal blade for the recip saw, so I dismantled it the Army way and just cut through (three cuts through the inner metal skirt, then a longer cut just through the outer (taking care not to touch the eye of the rod) - a few whacks with a chisel and it fell out).

15 minutes into the job I was feeling really confident, then came the task of putting the new bush in (without a press of course). After about 20 attempts (well, it seemed like that many, perhaps it was less) at using a threaded bar and two large sockets (I think a 36mm and a 32mm) but it twisting every time, I adjourned for a cuppa and a think.

The answer was to construct this special tool:

... as you may see, it is a carefully machined tool: just the same thickness metal as the height of the inner metal sleeve above the outer on the bush, and with an accurately machined hole to snugly fit over the inner skirt and flat surface to ensure the outer one only could be pushed in squarely. It would have been nice to have a round hole, but I didn't have a large enough drill bit and so had to use the jig saw :-)

I'm pleased to report that the special tool worked perfectly first time, and the bush was soon seated on the eye of the Panhard rod:

... an additional advantage being that the bush could not be inserted too far into the eye.

I was quite pleased with myself after solving that small problem - but it had taken a while, a bit over 2 hours (so Bob's midday walk was a little delayed).

The Panhard rod is back on the car and the mouse has disappeared. The chassis side bush won't be here in the mail for a few days, but that one looked to be in good condition so I don't think I'll be in such a rush to get it changed!

:-)

PS. The cost was: £2.92!

Last edited by Othen; Aug 30th, 2021 at 16:40. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 17:46   #2634
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent work Alan! Only a few days and you can pull the Panhard Rod off again and do the other end!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 18:08   #2635
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Excellent work Alan! Only a few days and you can pull the Panhard Rod off again and do the other end!
Yes, of course!

PS. The chassis end might be somewhat more difficult. The hole in the middle will be too small for a metal blade in the recip saw, so I’ll have to push it out rather than cutting it.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 30th, 2021 at 18:23.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 19:15   #2636
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Alan:~
You may be able to get a hacksaw blade into the eye- remove the blade at the front or rear point and refasten when through.
I changed the same bushes not that long ago and they proved to be a real pain!
As yours- I left the second one as it looked/performed fine.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 19:25   #2637
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, of course!

PS. The chassis end might be somewhat more difficult. The hole in the middle will be too small for a metal blade in the recip saw, so I’ll have to push it out rather than cutting it.
Cut or burn the rubber part out then use your Sawzall as before to slit the outer bush Alan, job done!

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 20:25   #2638
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
You may be able to get a hacksaw blade into the eye- remove the blade at the front or rear point and refasten when through.
Regards Bob.
Quote:
Cut or burn the rubber part out then use your Sawzall as before to slit the outer bush Alan, job done!
Many thanks chaps.

The hacksaw idea would probably work Bob, it would take a bit longer but achieve the same. Likewise burning out the rubber part Dave, I’ve heard of people doing that so a few times and understand it just needs a few minutes with the butane blowtorch to get the temperature up, then leave it to sort itself out.

Having solved the immediate problem, I may leave the chassis side for a while - but then again there might be another quiet morn like today :-)

It was quite satisfying to solve that squeak for only a couple of pounds and a bit of effort.

Alan
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 18:40   #2639
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Regards Bob.
Quote:
… or there is an even easier way chaps. Luke has kindly offered to press out the old one and the new bush in with his press on Monday next. I was planning to collect a rear wheel arch liner for the passenger side from him sometime anyway, so this will kill two birds with one stone :-)

Alan
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 09:05   #2640
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
… or there is an even easier way chaps. Luke has kindly offered to press out the old one and the new bush in with his press on Monday next. I was planning to collect a rear wheel arch liner for the passenger side from him sometime anyway, so this will kill two birds with one stone :-)

Alan
You're welcome Alan 😊

I will have to clear some space around the press as the garage has become a dumping ground that needs a thorough clean up! I need some more shelving really.

Last edited by 360beast; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 09:27.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: