Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027503

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2021, 14:19   #2621
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Smith & Allen stuff seems okay and is good value at about £20/5l. Diluted 50:50 with water so 5l is more than enough for a coolant change (the RB takes about 6l).

:-)
Worth double checking you've got the protection you think you have Alan using a hydrometer.That was how i learned and discovered the method i've used for 30+ years of flushing, draining then adding the right amount of concentrated antifreeze before topping with water.

Premixing the antifreeze before adding can give false results in as much as you might add what you think is enough antifreeze but because it's already diluted and you can never know exactly how much water is lurking in the system already (or even old coolant) i prefer to get the old stuff so it's just water, drain as much as possible then add the right amount of concentrated before topping up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 07:10   #2622
Othen
Premier Member

Default A Mouse in the Rear Suspension

I had not used the RB much this summer; whilst putting it up on some ramps to replace the under car tray yesterday I noticed a mouse had moved into the rear suspension. I had a quick look and the squeak seemed to be coming from the driver's side - the prime suspect at the mo would be the panhard rod bushes.

I'll jack up the rear of the motor car and have a better look later today. The rod seems to be easy enough to access; I'll have a look at the BofH and see how hard a job that is likely to be.

There is always something else with a 41 year old motor car!

Last edited by Othen; Aug 27th, 2021 at 07:33.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 07:45   #2623
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had not used the RB much this summer; whilst putting it up on some ramps to replace the under car tray yesterday I noticed a mouse had moved into the rear suspension. I had a quick look and the squeak seemed to be coming from the driver's side - the prime suspect at the mo would be the panhard rod bushes.

I'll jack up the rear of the motor car and have a better look later today. The rod seems to be easy enough to access; I'll have a look at the BofH and see how hard a job that is likely to be.

Aaaaaahhh, the Volvo Mouse! Spray the bushes/bolts through them with some lubricant and take it for a drive, job done!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 08:35   #2624
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Aaaaaahhh, the Volvo Mouse! Spray the bushes/bolts through them with some lubricant and take it for a drive, job done!

Thant was this morn's job Dave, a bit of silicone spray and try again :-)
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 08:36   #2625
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the RB had a cat you wouldn't have that problem...

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 10:58   #2626
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If the RB had a cat you wouldn't have that problem...
I think Millicent is getting a bit lazy in her dotage :-)
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 11:15   #2627
Othen
Premier Member

Default A Mouse in the Rear Suspension

Quote:

... so that is what I did this morn, and it turned out to be an hour well spent. The good news is there is no appreciable play in any of the rear suspension bushes, I gave all of then a good heave with the pry bar once it was jacked up nice and high. I gave everything a good spray with some heavy duty silicone grease and turned my attention to the panhard rod, that being the prime suspect.

I decided to take the rod off and have a look. Mr Volvo almost caught me out by using imperial (3/4") fasteners both ends, but once I'd worked that out it was a 5 minute job. That revealed the source of the squeak, the right hand side bush has started to get a bit crusty:

The bush is still complete but will need changing in the fullness of time, so I'll order one and swap in out before the winter. The bush at the other end is in rude health, in fact I'd say it has probably been changed some time (in the past 40 years):

I decided that for today everything would be fine, and so gave the rod a clean up and spray with some Plastikote for environmental protection, letting it dry whilst I had a cuppa. I put the rod back with a bit of copper grease on both the fixed pin and the bolt and took the RB for a test run...

I'm pleased to report that we are back to the magic carpet ride. I suspect giving all the joints a spray with some silicone would have helped, but the copper grease on the panhard rod mounting did the trick. It looks pretty easy to change: just cut out the old one with the recip saw then push the new one in with the vice by the look of it.

The RB is so satisfying to work on; almost everything is easy to access and very simple... an hour well spent :-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 27th, 2021 at 11:20. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 11:54   #2628
Othen
Premier Member

Default We live in the best of all possible worlds!

I thought I might as well order a new bush for the axle end of the RB's panhard rod, and looked online. I was really surprised to find exactly the right part (a Febi Bilstein item to replace Volvo part 1330427) on Amazon, better than that the cost was just £2.92 and Amazon Prime will have it here for me tomorrow (Saturday).

We do indeed live in the best of all possible worlds!

Alan :-)
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 13:34   #2629
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought I might as well order a new bush for the axle end of the RB's panhard rod, and looked online. I was really surprised to find exactly the right part (a Febi Bilstein item to replace Volvo part 1330427) on Amazon, better than that the cost was just £2.92 and Amazon Prime will have it here for me tomorrow (Saturday).

We do indeed live in the best of all possible worlds!

Alan :-)
Surprised you didn't order both bushes Alan? Even if the other looks good at the moment, it will be on borrowed time once you've renewed the deceased one and will collapse soon after, causing excess wear on the new one to happen. Chances are you can find the other one on Amazon too and have that landing via prime tomorrow as well.

An M10 or M12 long bolt/studding and some nuts plus a couple of suitably sized sockets will creat a bush puller/replacer tool for you save you having to burn out the rubber inside the bush then cut a slit in the outer shell of it and chisel it out as i think you were planning.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 15:21   #2630
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

would make sense to do both bushes while the rod is off and the tools are out
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: