Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027502

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:17   #2611
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
And yet ... And yet ... How often are we asked to enter our PIN number, for instance?! Happens all the time, often without our even realising it!

Regards, John.
I've often wondered about that John but have rationalised it as "Enter the number used as our Personal Identification Number". Also it could be that many people think of a PIN as an object, rather than an acronym so would associate the use of "PIN Number" as being the number assigned to that object.

My local doctors had one on their pre-recorded message about the Kung Flu recently - "If you feel <symptoms> you should go home and self-isolate yourself". Never worked out who else you could self-isolate besides yourself unless you have multiple personalities as in Me, Myself and I.

Before this degenerates into a litany of grammatical errors and similar or reverts to the original thread content, i'd just like to air my current "pet peeve" which is the use of "So" to start every sentence. As we all know, "So" is a conjuntion and sentences should never be started with a conjunction. But they do! And it happens more often than we realise!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 11:05   #2612
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thanks Dave. I’m quietly confident that this will work - but if for some reason it doesn’t I can always revert back to the current set up.

Alan

That is English like what is usaged. Me myself only usea "tautological" and indeed "pleonastic" in quiet silliness.

Alan's meaning is easily underlined by a comma.

I can always revert, back to the current set up

So, back to is specifying the way in which the revert will occur.

Kushtie.

Rules are for the guidance of wise people. Only guidance IMO.

Stephen

P.S. I am finding the computer difficult. Health. My posts are even less intelligible than ever .... hey ho.

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 11:55   #2613
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
have rationalised it as "Enter the number used as our Personal Identification Number". Also it could be that many people think of a PIN as an object, rather than an acronym so would associate the use of "PIN Number" as being the number assigned to that object.

Before this degenerates into a litany of grammatical errors and similar

Neat thinking re PIN Dave. Almost my approach of recognising English as a living language.

Too late re degenerates. You did that Dave!

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:17   #2614
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
"Revert back" - I never thought that you would use that construct. My primary school English teachers would have invited me to write out 100 times that "back is tautological and should not be used with 'revert'". Hang your head in shame!
Yes, that was a bit sloppy of me... 'revert to'.

PS. I tried fitting the motor that I had attempted to repair this morn, but had to revert to the original. The park function worked fine, but unfortunately the motor itself only works intermittently, which was probably the reason someone took it apart in the first place. Not to worry, it was worth an attempt - but it isn't worth devoting any more time to that problem - the answer is to enjoy living with the RB's lop-sided smile:

Last edited by Othen; Aug 18th, 2021 at 13:02.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:22   #2615
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... sentences should never be started with a conjunction. But they do!
And that was very clever!
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 13:13   #2616
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Shame about the intermittent operation of the "new" motor Alan, now you've got the measure of the job you could no doubt sort the RBs original headlamp wiper motor though.

That said i kind of like the quizzical "raised one eyebrow" expression it has.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 13:41   #2617
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Shame about the intermittent operation of the "new" motor Alan, now you've got the measure of the job you could no doubt sort the RBs original headlamp wiper motor though.

That said i kind of like the quizzical "raised one eyebrow" expression it has.
I think you are right about both points Dave. If ever I felt so inclined I think I could synchronise the original passenger side wiper motor to park at the bottom of its stroke. Like you though, I’ve come to rather like the RB’s lopsided smile.

Alan
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 12:25   #2618
Othen
Premier Member

I got round to fitting a Volvo top hose that Bob (Meadows) had kindly donated to the RB project today; the old one looked okay, but was a pattern part so it made sense to fit the genuine article.

I'd drained down the system a couple of times over the last few weeks and refilled with water in preparation. I'm pleased to say the stuff that came out today was fairly clean (well, for the inside of a 41 year old engine - I wouldn't have drunk it!). This time I re-filled with some Smith & Allen EG, which is a nice blue colour. The RB wasn't really due for a coolant change until next spring, but doing it a bit early won't do any harm.

Many thanks Bob.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2021 at 12:27. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 13:51   #2619
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent stuff Alan - i need to check the conecntration of the coolant in mine following my recent leaks. If it comes to it i'll renew the coolant in both cars, both were due last year but as i didn't get my Rover back from the MoT station until 6 months after i should have they've both been left.

Time to break out my antifreeze hydrometer!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 14:06   #2620
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Excellent stuff Alan - i need to check the conecntration of the coolant in mine following my recent leaks. If it comes to it i'll renew the coolant in both cars, both were due last year but as i didn't get my Rover back from the MoT station until 6 months after i should have they've both been left.

Time to break out my antifreeze hydrometer!
The Smith & Allen stuff seems okay and is good value at about £20/5l. Diluted 50:50 with water so 5l is more than enough for a coolant change (the RB takes about 6l).

:-)