Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027437

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2021, 17:52   #2571
Othen
Premier Member

Default Two Old Volvos and Some Cool Bikes

What a lovely day it has been - a good excuse to get all the bikes out and started - and I even had time to ride 3 of them. The Royal Barge and Delores Rocket are included in this photo of some cool bikes, by way of an excuse to publish it on this Volvo cars website :-)

I'm acquiring too many bikes again - but which one to get rid of?

Alan
Old May 31st, 2021, 19:12   #2572
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Why get rid of any of them, Alan? Not so long ago, a fellow who could only have one was often obliged to compromise. His bike might have to do duty both as a weekday commuter and long distance tourer at weekends. If he happened to be into trials, scrambling or amateur racing, or needed to add a 'chair' to accommodate the family at holiday time, his choices were further restricted.

50 odd years ago, I knew several chaps who, for various reasons, could not afford to run a motor-car, and found themselves in just that position. Unless you have to, I would not get rid of any of them if you can afford them and they give you pleasure. Life is much too short for regrets!

Regards, John.
Old May 31st, 2021, 19:39   #2573
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What John said Alan!

If you get rid of any bikes you'll regret it and then you'll spend the next decade or two tracking down a replacement and bringing it up to the same standard those are now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 20:41   #2574
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Why get rid of any of them, Alan? Not so long ago, a fellow who could only have one was often obliged to compromise. His bike might have to do duty both as a weekday commuter and long distance tourer at weekends. If he happened to be into trials, scrambling or amateur racing, or needed to add a 'chair' to accommodate the family at holiday time, his choices were further restricted.

50 odd years ago, I knew several chaps who, for various reasons, could not afford to run a motor-car, and found themselves in just that position. Unless you have to, I would not get rid of any of them if you can afford them and they give you pleasure. Life is much too short for regrets!

Regards, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What John said Alan!

If you get rid of any bikes you'll regret it and then you'll spend the next decade or two tracking down a replacement and bringing it up to the same standard those are now!
I had promised myself that I was going to cut down a bit on bikes - and for a while got down to just 3 - then I saw that lovely Royal Enfield Pegasus a few weeks ago - and 3 quickly became 4 again.

I can never sell the Triumph, and I suspect I’ll always have the Pegasus. I thought about selling the CCM but then Dan (my son) said he wanted it so I’ll keep it for him. That leaves the Suzuki Bloop - it is a cheeky little bike and I enjoyed saving it from the breakers and its oily rag restoration 5 or 6 years ago, and I don’t need the money. I do wonder whether I ought to pass it on to someone that might cherish it a bit more though. It was covered in cobwebs when I got it out of the bike garage today (but it started second kick). As I drove the Bloop round the block this afternoon (in shorts, tee shirt and sandals - with an open face Nolan helmet of course) it did cross my mind that I should pass it on to someone that might use it more than 3 times per year.

I’ll think about it :-)

Last edited by Othen; May 31st, 2021 at 21:49.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:32   #2575
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
'Morning, chaps; I hope that you do not mind the digression, Alan? Do say if you do.

I don't know if you have read the book (or maybe seen the film) A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman? It is uncannily faithful to the life and culture of Sweden today.

Brand loyalty is fierce in Sweden, none more so than that between Volvo and Saab. Ove is a Saab man, through and through. His friend and neighbour, Rune, is a dyed in the wool Volvo man. Despite that, they rub along for many years until Rune breaks faith and buys a BMW, whereupon they become near mortal enemies!

I believe from the discussion in your thread thus far that similar loyalties between the two Swedish marques exist in this country too, which a quick look at the Saab forums will no doubt confirm.

The film is worth a look, if only to see the cars in their home environment in period.

Regards, John.
Hi John,
This reply is from some time ago! I did come across the film 'A Man Called Ove' (I think on Amazon Prime) a few weeks ago. It in Swedish with English subtitles, but I really enjoyed it - what a lovely story.
:-)
Alan
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:54   #2576
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I had promised myself that I was going to cut down a bit on bikes - and for a while got down to just 3 - then I saw that lovely Royal Enfield Pegasus a few weeks ago - and 3 quickly became 4 again.

I can never sell the Triumph, and I suspect I’ll always have the Pegasus. I thought about selling the CCM but then Dan (my son) said he wanted it so I’ll keep it for him. That leaves the Suzuki Bloop - it is a cheeky little bike and I enjoyed saving it from the breakers and its oily rag restoration 5 or 6 years ago, and I don’t need the money. I do wonder whether I ought to pass it on to someone that might cherish it a bit more though. It was covered in cobwebs when I got it out of the bike garage today (but it started second kick). As I drove the Bloop round the block this afternoon (in shorts, tee shirt and sandals - with an open face Nolan helmet of course) it did cross my mind that I should pass it on to someone that might use it more than 3 times per year.

I’ll think about it :-)
Dan and I spoke about bikes the other day - he is nearly 17 and quite keen on bikes. Like most dads, I'm a bit less keen on my only son getting a bike (I know: 'do as I say, not as I do' is hypocritical). I made up a rule that he had to pass his car driving test and have a car for a year before he could have a bike on the road. Later I was saved by the government when we checked up on the licencing rules for bikes these days and found he could not ride a proper bike on the road until he turns 19 (we agreed that 125cc bikes were not cool).

That discussion led us on to the possibilities of getting rid of the CCM and/or the Bloop - which quickly turned into impossibilities. The CCM he will be able to ride on an A2 licence when he is 19, it is a pretty useful green lane bike, so I'll keep that one for him. The Bloop is no longer up for discussion: It is the bike on which Dan learned to ride (around the woods at our place in Norfolk) - so we have to keep it. We decided that he could ride it on an A1 licence to get some experience and some NCB a year after passing his car test.

Whilst on the subject of the Bloop: it had started blowing bulbs (indicator and tail lamp) a bit too frequently. I investigated with a meter and found the switch (one switch for everything - ignition/lights/other electrics such as they are) was not behaving exactly as it should between the battery charging and lighting circuits. A bit more investigation and a logic diagram revealed that two of the wires were swapped over (it was a replacement switch and for some reason the manufacturer has swapped over two of the colours and male/female bullet connectors). It must have been like that for 5 or 6 years, and under some circumstances fed unregulated AC direct to the indicator and rear lamp (fortunately the generator is too puny to produce much current). Five more minutes with the wire cutters and crimpers had the situation resolved. Now the battery charges properly and the lights work very well.

Dan is right: the Bloop is a little gem that we can never get rid of :-)

Last edited by Othen; Jun 6th, 2021 at 14:57.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:55   #2577
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Hi John,
This reply is from some time ago! I did come across the film 'A Man Called Ove' (I think on Amazon Prime) a few weeks ago. It in Swedish with English subtitles, but I really enjoyed it - what a lovely story.
Alan
The book started a little slowly compared to the film, Alan; there was a lot more about Ove's early life in it. I too bought the DVD after having enjoyed reading the book. The story is quite moving, especially Ove's ineptness about ending his life after losing his wife - and the conversations that he has with her! That apart, I can see a lot of myself in him!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:56   #2578
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi John,
Alan
That must be quite an old reply Alan! That said, buying a BMW is enough to create mortal enemies!

Joking aside, i know a Swede on another forum who won't have a Volvo, except his late fathers 122 that he has since sold on. Doesn't like them apparently. He won't drive a Saab either!

His cars are (as far as i remember) 2 or 3 Rover 800s, a Lexus 600RH and an Austin 7 Special (or is it two Austin 7 specials?) so in terms of cars, he'd probably be more at home in England!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:59   #2579
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The book started a little slowly compared to the film, Alan; there was a lot more about Ove's early life in it. I too bought the DVD after having enjoyed reading the book. The story is quite moving, especially Ove's ineptness about ending his life after losing his wife - and the conversations that he has with her! That apart, I can see a lot of myself in him!

Regards, John.
... strange that you say that John: I recommended the film to a couple of friends, and one told me I was very like Ove in many ways!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 15:01   #2580
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That must be quite an old reply Alan! That said, buying a BMW is enough to create mortal enemies!
... yes Dave, I had to search for John's original post :-)