Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where are the ETMs

Views : 2401

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:46   #1
wg53

Default Where are the ETMs

Hi,
I have had my order in for a new ETM (softwware and clean did not work) for about 4 wks now. The del forecast has been put back to 1st week in Nov, but the dealer said that it may be delayed again. Does anybody know why there is a supply problem and is it possible to swop an ETM from a scrapper/newer V70 as a cheaper and quicker option.

if that is not enough the door locks have started to play up!

2000 X V70 2.4 auto

Regards
Richard
wg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:48   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

The ETM you need comes from Magnetti Marelli, who I believe have ceased trading. So, the delay is probably caused by Volvo trying to find some.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:56   #3
wg53

Thanks for the info - Any ideas on using a unit from a scrapper?

Rich
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 19:12   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

no as they require sofware unique to your car and a scrapped one may well fail as well .
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 19:14   #5
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no as they require sofware unique to your car and a scrapped one may well fail as well .
Is that true with all of them? What about the ME7 C70's, we have MUCH less interference from the CEM....
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 19:23   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

All the Magnetti Marelli Electronic throttle bodies from 1999 - 2002 model years are linked to the particular car / ECU with unique software . someone on here has said he fitted a used one and it worked . But if that is true the problem comes next time the car is connected to the computer and software ordered , there will be a mismatch error due to the foreign module on the network . This could render the car "dead" and require very expensive repairs ..
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 08:51   #7
wg53

latest delivery forecast is now 1 st week in Dec for myETM - that will be 8 weeks waiting so far for an etm. The dealer mentioned that there are people ahead of me on the waiting list since July. Should I complain to Volvo on how long they are taking to get new ETMs?

Richard
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:11   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Since Magnetti Marelli have closed down it is a wonder they can get any at all .
I have always wondered why they never did an exchange scheme with these units they just need better quality potentiometers on each end of the shaft . The mechanical internals are very well made otherwise .
Another option ...make a conversion kit to suit the later BOSCH unit ..
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 20:41   #9
wg53

well after an email to volvo, one etm arrived in stock, so after £240 ish I have just had the thing changed - but I still have the revs going up and down a few times while waiting at the lights. Should I be worried?

Also anybody know about central locking from the key fob not working any more (and the yellow button on the key fob) - I dont think it is the key fob batteries as both have gone at the same time, should i change them anyway?

Rregards rich
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 22:01   #10
NonContactTPS4ETM

Default Non-contacting ETM rebuild available.

As most of you know I have been fighting this problem for about 4 years and believe my efforts helped obtain the 10-year, 200,000-mile warranty in North America. See http:VEXEDvolvo.org. I have received e-mail from over 40 countries and the web site has been hit 65,000 times.

Last week I installed an ETM rebuilt by XeMODeX.com on my son's 2000 V70 XC.
It took about an hour for the independent mechanic, who had done a couple of salvage ETM before, to install the new one. The car started instantly and ran smoother than before though it had not shown any symptoms. 0-60 times were so close that you would think I used a calibrated pencil.

The last I heard was that they would have them available in UK in January.
Don Willson
VEXEDvolvo@comcast.net
NonContactTPS4ETM is offline   Reply With Quote