Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

J reg 240 GL Estate

Views : 1426

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 23:48   #1
stroop

Default J reg 240 GL Estate

I know this is a long shot, as most of you guys live down south, but you never know. I am putting the car to the scrappies in the next couple of weeks, but would sell it for £150. The mot has just ran out and would require some attention to the engin to get the emissions sorted,apart from that, it is a runner and would pass another mot without to much work and it would be a shame to just scrap it. The only problem is that i live in the north of Scotland, beside Inverness on the Moray firth. I will NOT be selling spares of this car, if no one want it, it will be going to the scrapyard next weekend. As i said, it is a long shot and a shame that i live in the north, but the offer is their if any one want to take me up on it. I would keep it for a short while if some one was interested
stroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:43   #2
DuncVolvoTurbo
Yes....I'm Back!

More details and photos would be good We're not all Southerners!
'05 XC90, '97 945, '94 854, '92 964, '93 944, '93 945, '89 244, '92 440
DuncVolvoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 21:04   #3
stroop

The Details are not a problem, but trying to up load photo's could be (I have never done this before)
What I will be getting shot of is a blue 240 GL Estate which has been fitted with the alloy wheels of my old 240GLT Estate, I also transfered over the leather seats from this car as well, apart from the wear and tear on the right hand side of the back rest on the driver seat, all the upholstery is in excellent condition, the body work is also in great nic for a 16 year old car, their is rust along the bottom edge on the tail gate, and around the rear passenger wheel arch. last year, for the mot, I replaced both rear suspension swing arms, dust plates and drums as well as the exhaust system, from the cat back, the head lights were replaced not so long ago and are in excellent condition.The mileage is 197823, the dash lights do not work because of a short in the wire system behind the dash some where, I know this because I shorted out the wiring when I was sorting the clock. The car is solid all over and would require very little for the mot apart from the emissions. Even if you did not want to mot it, their are a lot of useful spares, I also have a 6 month old windscreen that came out of the other car before it was scrapped, a spare fuel tank and a radiator. All of these will be going with the car, as i said, it would be a shame to scrap the car, but i have moved onto the V40 now and have no use for it.
If someone can point me in the direction for uploading pictures i will get them on, and you will see the body work.

Last edited by stroop; Jul 20th, 2010 at 21:47.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 21:45   #4
stroop

http://photobucket.com/stroop
Try this link for pictures of the car
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 22:26   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

A real bargain for someone!A whole lot of car for ssSSoo little money.Any takers up north?
It doesn't belong in the breakers thats for sure.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 19:12   #6
stroop

It's looking like the car will be getting scrapped next Friday, no one seems to want it. Ah well, the price of scrap is good at the moment.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 02:57   #7
doingitsideways
The Daddy

Exclamation Hold the phone!!!

Hold on!!

I might be interested.

I'm after a load lugger for work, I'm currently running a 960 estate but it's in far too good condition and I'm scared to death of hurting it!

Right, what engine? gearbox? What's the tin worm like underneath?

Also, what's the matter with the engine?

P.M me if you like.

Steve
doingitsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 22:38   #8
stroop

Do not have enough posts to PM you steve, but i have got nothing to hide, so here is the answers to your questions.
The car is solid all over and has not seen a welder since the day it left the factory & i would have got the emisions sorted out for the MOT if the opportunity of a cheep, 04 plate V40 never came round. What we have is a manual gear box with a 2.0 petrol engine. I have changed the MAF, Idle valve, engine temp sensors, tried a 2nd hand cold start injector out of the old 240 GLT that i had, 2nd hand main injectors, new plugs and leads, checked & re-set the timing, all to no avail as the Lambda light is still on and you can smell that it is running rich, but smooth, not lumpy. At Xmas time the wife put diesel into the tank (although she denies it to this day) which did not help matters, I cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the cold start injector (never got round to doing the main injectors). This helped a bit, but you need to give it a bit of throttle for about a min untill it has warmed up, it then ticks over perfect.
Not wanting to put you of, but, is it worth traveling 7 hours for a £150 car? (because that is what i want for it, nothing less, as i will get this price as scrap) If you were to drive it back you would only be getting about 25mpg (no mot or tax either) so you would need to watch this. If you do still want it I would keep it for a short time for you, but could you let me know tomorrow, Friday a.m. at the latest please, as i am planning taking it to the scrappies on Friday after work.
Cheers, James.

Last edited by stroop; Jul 28th, 2010 at 22:50.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 00:55   #9
doingitsideways
The Daddy

Wink

Hi James.

Tell you what, let me sleep on it (or not, hense why my posts are on here at silly o'clock, Insomnia is a cruel mistress! )

Thinking about it, I think it's of non cat age. Although it's got one, I don't think they were required until '93 so it might still get through a test if the emissions are a little high.

Saying that, a mate of mine is an MOT inspector and after changing the cat on my old 850 a few years ago for a MUCH cheaper one than the genuine Volvo item, the emissions were a little high so he "re-tested" it with the probe up the back end of a 3 year old Fiesta. Result? The cleasest running 850 in the country according to VOSA!!

I just google-mapped your town and it is a bit of a trek!!
25 to the gallon? That makes it about £80 in petrol, more than half the price of the car!!

I'd give you £150 for it, wouldn't argue with that. Just gotta figure out if it's logistically possible and gotta decide whether I want to risk driving nearly 400 miles with no tax or test!

I'll let you know by tomorrow night mate.

Thanks for getting back to me

Steve

Last edited by doingitsideways; Jul 29th, 2010 at 01:00. Reason: Addition
doingitsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 21:47   #10
stroop

OK Steve, & you are correct about the cat, the first time i got it MOT'd the tester was a little surprised that it had a cat as well. I thought i had better mention the distance and rough fuel consumption to you. As i said in the first post, it would be a shame for it to get scrapped because it is in pretty good nick