Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New xc90 wiper juddering

Views : 1960

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 19:03   #1
gemmerson

Default New xc90 wiper juddering

Got our new xc90 in April and it's been in three times now for drivers side wiper juddering and squeaking when going across the screen. Dealer keeps telling me it's wiper blades which I keep disagreeing with. Anyone else had any wiper issues ? By deduction it must be the wiper arm and either it's tension on screen or angle since new blades do work then after a few weeks or so back comes the juddering etc.? Any help or thoughts appreciated.

George
gemmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 19:29   #2
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmerson View Post
Got our new xc90 in April and it's been in three times now for drivers side wiper juddering and squeaking when going across the screen. Dealer keeps telling me it's wiper blades which I keep disagreeing with. Anyone else had any wiper issues ? By deduction it must be the wiper arm and either it's tension on screen or angle since new blades do work then after a few weeks or so back comes the juddering etc.? Any help or thoughts appreciated.

George

The usual scenario for juddering is the rubber on the blade is too hard and not good quality.It should be quite soft too allow the blade too flip over easily on a semi dry screen.

peter.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 21:51   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I would let the dealer fit a new set, so you can test it there and then. If it doesn't solve the problem you shouldn't have to buy the new set and put the old set back on...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 23:12   #4
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Get some rain-X from Halfords and put it on your windscreen, that'll fix it. You'll not need anymore wipers for a couple of years after that. I had exactly the same problem with my Touareg and one of the mechanics said, i shouldne betelling you this but get some rain-X and you'll hardly need to use your wipers at all.

I did and he was right.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 09:02   #5
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaleng View Post
Get some rain-X from Halfords and put it on your windscreen, that'll fix it. You'll not need anymore wipers for a couple of years after that. I had exactly the same problem with my Touareg and one of the mechanics said, i shouldne betelling you this but get some rain-X and you'll hardly need to use your wipers at all.

I did and he was right.
Gtechniq sell some great products if you're interested in detailing cars. In addition to paint polishes they sell a glass polish and a coating that lasts 2 years.

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...n-smart-glass/

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 16:54   #6
Russ Dade

Hi George
Had this problem on my XC90 drivers side, after careful checking decided that the twist in the wiper arm was not quite correct, so carefuly twisted a bit more and noise has gone. Only needed a slight tweek.

See comments on page 2 of xc90 forum.

Russ
Russ Dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 18:40   #7
yeoman
Master Member

Wink worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmerson View Post

George
Try cleaning the surface that gets in contact with your glass with some vinegar,( no purchase required)any will do and you will be surprised!

Last edited by yeoman; Oct 24th, 2011 at 18:40. Reason: spell
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 18:55   #8
laundryman
The Engineer

Living in the sticks and driving down dark country lanes I like my windscreen as clean as I can get it. Vinegar is a great cleaner. Have ended up with Bosch wiper blades on No 1 son's recommendation, and am very pleased with them. I usually change blades every 6-8 months anyway.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 23:47   #9
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Over the years I have found Bosch wiper blades to be the best also. Cleanest wipe and longest lasting.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 00:06   #10
detgnome

Agree with the comments above -

1) Bosch do make the best blades.

2) Check the twist on the blade - it should be perpendicular to the screen. If not use pliers (use a rag to avoid marking) to gently twist the blade into the correct alignment.
detgnome is offline   Reply With Quote