Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

745 ignition timing 1987 230k

Views : 881

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 23:27   #1
douglynn

some time ago i raised a query relating to the fact that the vertical distance between the timing marks on the timing belt cover and the mark on the crankshaft pulley was about 25mm, although one response suggested sticking a matchstick on, i did not get any other responses,i was a bit surprised by this as such a major defect should cause widespread difficulties, in fact the timing spot with a strobe can alter by nearly 10 degrees depending which eye you look through!
i first thought was that this was unique to my engine, but i have checked several others, even a 900 series they were the same.
i drew a blank at my local volvo dealer,
i hope to contact volvo head office shortly,it would be of great help if someone could reply to this problem,or an illustration,
regards again
doug
Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 22:23   #2
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Default RE: 745 ignition timing 1987 230k

This is quite normal for this type engine, although not very often used as most cars have non-adjustable ignition. What you need to do is line your eye up with the timing mark and the centre of the pulley, then read off the scale. There are two ways of accomplishing this:

1. With the strobe on, move your eye until the mark appears to be in the centre of the pulley, then read the scale. (Only works if you are good at judging things)

2. Using a straight edge, put a white mark DIRECTLY opposite the timing mark on the pulley, where you can see it. When the strobe is on, just line up the two marks with one eye, and read off the scale.

I'm sure that other people in this forum have different methods, but these two (in theory) will work!

Colin

'87 760 Turbo
'90 760 GLE (RIP!)
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 22:09   #3
douglynn

thanks colin
i like your second suggestion, i might make a card disc the sise of the pulley and fold ot in half to make sure i get exactly 180 degrees,
(it is calld an harmonic balancer in the states mine looks pretty solid though?)
a chap on the US site has been kind enough to reply with the folowing
sggestion which looks prety good -

Doug,

I know what you mean about the timing marks because I went through the same thing. I was puzzled that the timing guage was so far away from the pulley and the timing mark on it.

Here is what I did. I pulled the number one spark plug and put a small plastic rod in the hole so that I could acurately find top dead center. I spent about 5 minutes moving it back and forth to be sure to get it right. Once I was sure where TDC is, I measured the diameter of the balancer and multiplied by pi (3.1415) and divided by 360. I multiplied the result by 12 for the number of degrees it should be timed to fire at and measured that distance back on the crank pulley to see where it should be when running. In my case it was .64 inches or a little over 5/8 inch. Measure and mark it on a piece of paper and see where it should be. Once you see where it's supposed to be you are all set with a reference point. Mine was where I originally figured would be about 9 degrees when trying to read the guage.
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 00:50   #4
niloc
SWV Benefactor

It looks good, but seems like a lot of messing around (unless you are a mathematician!)

Colin Aldridge

'87 765 Turbo (for sale)
'90 765 GLE
niloc is offline   Reply With Quote