Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo diesel newbie not new to diesels

Views : 2083

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:25   #1
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

Smile volvo diesel newbie not new to diesels

i just acquired an 85 740gle turbo diesel automatic what do i need to know about these cars and what are problems with these engines and what are the fixes
how do i turn up the pump to get a little more power thanks for all the help
69dieselfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:02   #2
tfb

The major weak points of these engines are head gasket and potential oil starvation.

Keep an eye on the water level and temp and don't thrash it until it warms up.

It's a standard Bosch VE pump so max fueling and the boost compensator can be tweaked for a bit more power.

Regards

TFB
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 14:28   #3
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfb View Post
The major weak points of these engines are head gasket and potential oil starvation.

Keep an eye on the water level and temp and don't thrash it until it warms up.

It's a standard Bosch VE pump so max fueling and the boost compensator can be tweaked for a bit more power.

Regards

TFB
thanks i drive an 86 ford f250 with 6.9 diesel hence 69dieselfreak
ya im all to familiar with the head gasket failure what can i do to prevent oil starvation
engine coolant temp gauge how accurate are they should i put in an aftermarket gauge
bosch ve pump where can i fnd out how to play with it or is it just like the earlier 5.9 cummins
thanks a bunch guys
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 20:00   #4
tfb

This link gives quite a detailed description of tuning a Pug with a VE pump and the principles are the same

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...3/m/1931086722

Also these forums have a lot of good tips

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/

Try the IDI and non-VW section.

As for oil starvation, some recommend overfilling by a litre, some say use synthetic (too thin for my liking though), but most will agree that it's very important to let the engine warm up before thrashing it.

Just keep an eye on the temp guage and your water level

Regards

TFB
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:47   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

As with all diesels the power is there almost as soon as the engine is turning over. It is just a little bit thirstier than if you warm it up for a couple of minutes. These engines tend to run cool so it may be worth while fitting a 92 deg thermostat instead of the 87deg one. If water level drops check for heater system leaks, loose hoses and the dreaded heater tap which is easier to replace on an automatic than a manual, but is vacuum controlled with air conditioning fitted. Change coolant every two years and watch for radiator stub splits. Radiators on automatic cars have a cooler built into the rad for the gearbox oil. Oil in water may be because of the coolant and oil mixing when oil cooler splits internally. My advice is to obtain the Green book manual for the D24, D24T & D24TIC. Part number for this book is V97000164 from a dealer. Price is about £30 and if paid for with order it should be at the dealers by the next working day. There is a helpful fault section near the front of the book. If dealers are reticent then try e-Bay or Amazon. That Ford engine sounds like a six cylinder, wet liner motor. We had a problem with one which lost it's coolant and split a couple of liners. Unfortunately it also did in the turbo bearings. This one had a Holsett turbo.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:44   #6
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

thanks guys maybe instead of changing the coolant every 2 years im thinking of adding a coolant filter from fleetgaurd with 4 units of dca's and running caterpillar extended life coolant
oh these cars are idi correct
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:12   #7
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

if the car doesnt leak or use to much oil ill definatly run syn oil
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 20:21   #8
jor
VOC 20573

Default 92* thermostat

Yes many people advise synthetic on which there was a discussion here not too llong ago. Doing so you can safely lengthen the interval between changes so that there is no cost difference from using semi. As mentioned by tfb the engine does not tolerate coolant loss, so consider replacing hoses.
BTW if you find a 92 degree thermostat do let us know as the only vw one I can find is 88 and the shop says that they think it's the only one available.

jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:40   #9
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

i tryed to get a repair manual from volvo today and they basically told me today to **** off and die ive found a few on the net but they were pretty expensive
again thanks guys ill give it a shot trying to find a 92 stat
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:57   #10
jor
VOC 20573

Default manual

Volvo in Hendon sold me one which came to approx forty quid inc. vat (spare parts dept 08453677946). If all else fails you are welcome to a loan of one.
The FAQ section explains the (potential) oil issue - due to the plumbing it takes a while for circulation to start, this is minimized by slight overfill.

jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote