Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FS: XC90 SE D5 Auto - 54 plate (05 model) £2,500

Views : 1593

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2017, 22:04   #1
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Default FS: XC90 SE D5 Auto - 54 plate (05 model) £2,500

WILL PUT PHOTOS UP TOMORROW AS TOO DARK NOW!

Ok, the time has come to sell our ultra reliable XC90, as I've done the deal on it's replacement, and I'll be leaving the Volvo fold

Currently awaiting it's original plate to be reassigned (KE54 FPO) Reg'd Nov 04 in metallic silver with black (heated + elec driver's) leather.

Mileage is currently at 238,000 odd, will check exact and edit, climbing slowly by no more than 100 a week at the moment.

I purchased the car back in June 2013 from it's second owner who had only had it a few months, and was selling as his wife couldn't get it up the drive and into the garage. Prior to that, it was owned from new by a highish ranking army officer, who used it to commute from the UK to Germany several times a month.

Car was on 195,000 when I bought it, and had been maintained by Volvo, regardless of cost. Just prior to purchase, it had a couple of injectors and new engine mounts. It has a cambelt at 90k and also another at approx 185k, both are documented in the book.

In my ownership, it has always been serviced every 9,000 miles, using original filters and quality fluids.

I flushed the gearbox and replaced the fluid shortly after purchase.

Additionally, in my ownership, I have replaced;

Splined sleeve, at approx 199k
Transfer box approx 6 months later (failed output bearing)
Discs and pads approx 8k ago.
All engine mounts last year (genuine Volvo)
Lower wishbones last year - before alignment done

I have also retrofitted a set of used Bi-Xenon headlamps, which work perfectly. And a Bluetooth kit with music stemming.

Car is fitted with quality tyres (Pirelli front, and I think Michelin rears) all with approx 5mm tread remaining, and evenly worn, 4 wheel Hunter alignment was carried out last year.

The car actually looks and drives like a 50,000 miler, I kid you not. Starts instantly, hot or cold and uses no oil between services. Gearchanges are silky smooth, and EVERYTHING works as it should, from the radio, to the parking sensors and heated seats and electric folding mirrors. Car has the family pack, so the centre seat has the built in booster seat.

Bodywork wise, it is VERY good for it's age, showing minor age related marks, a small scratch to the N/S/R panel caused by one of the kids squeezing past with their scooter. There is no corrosion anywhere on the car. It was machine polished around 5 months ago, and as such is free from minor blemishes and swirl marks.

It has factory privacy glass, and a roof mounted flip down DVD player, I have either 3 or 4 sets of the wireless headphones for it in the garage.

The interior is in excellent condition, no rips, tears or marks to the black heated seats, and just very minor wear to the bolster of the (electric memory) driver's seat. The plastic cover around the seat switches is cracked (common fault) but the cover is available on Ebay for less than £20 new.

The car has been impeccably reliable for us, apart from the failed splined sleeve & transfer box, requiring nothing other than routine servicing.

The ONLY reason I am selling, is that we no longer need the big boot for a pram, as the little kids now aren't. That, plus the fact that I want something a bot more "driver focused" so I've gone for a 2012 BMW X5 40d (yup the 300+ bhp one )

And now, the bad - Come on, all cars have a bit of bad.

Around 18 months ago, whilst entering a car park at a local takeaway, some muppet in a Focus decided to reverse out into me as I was passing behind him. The damage to my car was minimal, small dent to the wing and driver's and rear passenger door, plus scuffs to the side running boards. However, the engineer decided that the costs of repairing & replacing (with new Volvo parts & labour) exceeded the value of the car. Therefore it was given a "Cat D" status. I do have the original engineers report with photos of the damage, and I also have my own photos.

Subsequently, I had the dentman out to the doors and he worked his magic, so that NONE of the damage is now visible. NO PAINTWORK was done on the car, and I removed the scuffed side running bars as the kids no longer need them to get in and out.

Only other item worth mentioning, is that I have only ever had one remote key for the car.

With all of the above in mind, I know that she is a reliable, nice driving and looking car, however I realise the Cat D may put people off, however forum users have almost 4yrs of my posts to see how reliable and maintained she has been.

Price wise, I am looking for £2,500

Any questions, please ask.

Mike

Last edited by Ducklakeview; Feb 21st, 2017 at 23:09.
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 18:40   #2
CaptainMikey

Price sounds fair. Registering an interest subject to pics, insurance quote and conversation with the wife!!

I'm new to the 90, can you give me an indication of MPG local and motorway?
CaptainMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 19:32   #3
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

That will be 'some buy' for its new owner.

All the best in the BMW. Your inputs will be missed.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 19:56   #4
Ducklakeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMikey View Post
Price sounds fair. Registering an interest subject to pics, insurance quote and conversation with the wife!!

I'm new to the 90, can you give me an indication of MPG local and motorway?
I get around 27 mpg, but mostly on town roads, on motorways I have averaged 36 mpg at 75 mph'ish on long journeys. I don't drive for economy though.

Will give it a wash and clean tomorrow before taking pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
That will be 'some buy' for its new owner.

All the best in the BMW. Your inputs will be missed.
Yup, I always say that a high mileage car that's been looked after offers good value for money, plus they tend to have been reliable in order to achieve those miles! She's got lots of life left in her, and it's mainly my urge for something a bit sporty that's made my decision, never the less I'll be sorry to see her go, and hope the replacement will be as dependable and as safe a place to put the sprogglets.

I'll still be lurking, shame to waste what I know lol..

Mike

Last edited by Ducklakeview; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 20:12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 08:27   #5
CaptainMikey

Thanks for the info, has it been smoked in?
CaptainMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 08:40   #6
Ducklakeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMikey View Post
Thanks for the info, has it been smoked in?

Never..

Mike
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 10:07   #7
Ducklakeview

Looks like storm Doris may stop me getting the pressure washer out today for photos, it's horrendous up here. Anyway, to be going on, here is the service history as detailed in the book complete with stamps. I do have some of the invoices invoices for the work, but main dealer would not supply me with copies due to data protection etc;

22/11/04 - PDI @ Volvo British Military Sales
14/02/05 @ 3,397 miles - Inspection @ Volvo German dealer
01/01/06 @ 10,787 miles - Service @ Tollbar Volvo Warwick
09/11/06 @ 27,027 miles - Service @ Tollbar Volvo Twickenham
16/07/07 @ 45,294 miles - Service @ Tollbar Volvo Twickenham
15/04/08 @ 63,601 miles - Major Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
11/09/08 @ 77,834 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
26/01/09 @ 91,500 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
18/07/09 @ 105,778 miles Major Service plus Cambelt @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
26/02/10 @ 118,307 miles Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
14/08/10 @ 132,432 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
15/02/11 @ 145,222 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Cobham
08/09/11 @ 159,289 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Horsham
26/01/12 @ 167,229 miles - Service @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Horsham
23/07/12 @ 180,756 miles - Major Service plus cambelt and two driveshafts @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Horsham
18/02/13 @ 193,691 miles Service + new heater hoses @ Squire Furneaux Volvo Horsham

Since then, it has been serviced by myself every 9,000 using quality synthetic fluids and Volvo filters. The Gearbox was flushed and filled with new Mobil fluid at approx 195,000 miles.

The splined sleeve was replaced by myself just before 200,000 miles, and the transfer box approx 5,000 miles later dues to a failed output bearing.

Mike
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 10:44   #8
Ducklakeview

I've also dug out the photo's from when it was damaged, these show how light the damage actually was. The last photo is after the dent man had done the doors and polished them.

Mike
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 18:17   #9
Ducklakeview

Ok, managed to wash the car, despite storm Doris!

Also have the side steps a buff with the machine polisher and refitted for the pics. Happy to include them in the sale at asking price, otherwise I'll sell them separately.

Pics...

Mike

Last edited by Ducklakeview; Feb 23rd, 2017 at 18:42.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 12:24   #10
Tjlazer

Hi Mike, I'm new to the forum as I'm looking to get an xc90 for my family and figured a true enthusiast car is a better bet than a dealer! Can we talk about the car and where you're based to see if we can make a deal? I'm interested obviously but new to the Volvo area so it would be good to speak. I can't PM as a newbie! Many thanks Tim
Tjlazer is offline   Reply With Quote