Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red / Orange coolant question

Views : 2250

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 12:52   #1
haymitch

Default Red / Orange coolant question

Had an oil cooler / heat exchanger oil seal on my Volvo 940 replaced last week because of a minor oil leak. I took it to a garage and asked them to replace it (involving draining oil and coolant in the process).

I noticed this morning that the coolant they've replaced it with is red / orange. If I remember rightly this is not good. It looks online like orange coolant is okay (Dexcool) but red is the wrong one. Shouldn't it be green ethylene glycol though ? Some people online suggest that colour doesn't matter as long as it's ethylene glycol based.

Could someone confirm please that the coolant HAS to be green? Or is possible that the orange / red coolant is ethylene glycol based as well? When I phone up I'd like to fully armed (if needed) so I can get them to change it to the right stuff.

Last edited by haymitch; Mar 5th, 2020 at 14:38.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 18:45   #2
jpliddy
VOC Member

hi pity you didn't get the volvo coolant from dealer its not that expensive 50/50 mix been using it for 20 years in my diesel i replace it at 3 year intervals easy job and all good so far . the garage stuff should be ok .
but you cant beat genuine blue/green volvo !!!! only my personal views
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 19:06   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As long as it is ethylene glycol it is fine. I've got red glycol in my Fabia VRS, they also do purple, green and blue. Colour means nothing at all in reality but because OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant is most commonly red/pink/orange colour people assume it is the wrong coolant. Phone them up and ask what coolant they used and if it is Ethlyene Glycol.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 19:11   #4
bob12
bob12

Colour has turned into a disaster area these day with absolutely no standard ... not that there was one before but with the introduction of OAT's there needs to be a standard. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 19:15   #5
940volvoman
Master Member

Its also worth fitting a coolant level sensor and warning light if you haven't got one.

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 19:19   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN...s%20090310.pdf
http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torq...antifreeze.htm
https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/hi...antifreeze.pdf

You are correct: ~ Orange will usually indicate the newer type of antifreeze OAT: ~ see above caution notes against the use in classic engines- as you indicate the type used in your car needs to be clearly identified. Regarding Volvo 50/50 mix or any other brand of premixed coolant; you are paying for 50% Water! I won’t throw my money away like that! Go for the brand you prefer but dilute it yourself.
Trust it helps. Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 20:47   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Had an oil cooler / heat exchanger oil seal on my Volvo 940 replaced last week because of a minor oil leak. I took it to a garage and asked them to replace it (involving draining oil and coolant in the process).

I noticed this morning that the coolant they've replaced it with is red / orange. If I remember rightly this is not good. It looks online like orange coolant is okay (Dexcool) but red is the wrong one. Shouldn't it be green ethylene glycol though ? Some people online suggest that colour doesn't matter as long as it's ethylene glycol based.

Could someone confirm please that the coolant HAS to be green? Or is possible that the orange / red coolant is ethylene glycol based as well? When I phone up I'd like to fully armed (if needed) so I can get them to change it to the right stuff.
I think you need to see exactly what they put it and not just take their word for it.

As has been mentioned by others, some ethylene glycol is orange or red but generally it is blue or green. If they try telling you it's OAT but safe to use, tell them it isn't and needs a seriously strong flushing to remove it then refilling with ethylene glycol.

WHat isn't mentioned in any of the technical stuff Bob Meadows linked to is the fact OAT will attack cast iron blocks/components causing the cylinder block in the case of the red-block to rot from the inside out.

The OAT was developed by the Japanese because EG was corroding the aluminium in all-aluminium engines, took a while before people found it rotted cast iron though but considering it's an acid..........

Which garage did the work?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:34   #8
J liddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

You are correct: ~ Orange will usually indicate the newer type of antifreeze OAT: ~ see above caution notes against the use in classic engines- as you indicate the type used in your car needs to be clearly identified. Regarding Volvo 50/50 mix or any other brand of premixed coolant; you are paying for 50% Water! I won’t throw my money away like that! Go for the brand you prefer but dilute it yourself.
Trust it helps. Bob.
I. Got volvo coolant neat and mixed my own water with it didnt mention any type of water so hope its ok as ive been doing this for years .have volvo changed the formula of coolant now and added VOLVO WATER which is interesting .
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:42   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

Regarding Volvo 50/50 mix or any other brand of premixed coolant; you are paying for 50% Water! I won’t throw my money away like that! Go for the brand you prefer but dilute it yourself.
Trust it helps. Bob.
Surely you didn’t think that he was buying a premix from Volvo.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:43   #10
haymitch

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll phone them and check that they didn't use the OAT coolant tomorrow and then update. Heh, nothing is ever simple!
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post: