Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide

Views : 29801

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:52   #31
nyc951

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
BIG reply here so I will do my best... that is some amount of questions!
David et al,

Thank you for the replies and information. I went ahead and ordered the video interface from Volvotech as you suggested. My plan is to install a front and rear camera on our 2008 XC90.

I found this camera on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLVO-XC90-SERIE...item3f037247db

Should I get the CMOS or CCD version? The CCD version costs twice as much - is it worth the extra money?

Thanks again guys,

S (from the USA)
nyc951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 18:23   #32
BestGear
Master Member

HI

CCD cameras are nearly always better than CMOS - typically they have better resolution (usually being newer designs) plus are better in low light and offer lower image noise. This is of benefit when its dark and you want to see behind you! - my camera needs no more light than the reversing lights on the vehicle.

I say typically as obvioulsy the high end of CMOS could compete with low end CCD. At the same price point, CCD should be better.

The other thing to consider is if you want reversing guide lines onthe display - some cameras have it, some not.

Lastly - just ensure that the camera is PAL 50 or the satnav screen will show you some rolling lines on the screen....

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 20:55   #33
nyc951

Hi David:

I'll search for a nice CCD camera. Do you know of a reasonably-priced model, besides the ones on eBay? Are the ones on eBay any good?

I have a 2008 XC90 - the info on the Volvotech site seems to indicate I need NTSC. Is that your understanding? Did Volvo switch from PAL to NTSC after a certain model year?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:09   #34
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc951 View Post
Hi David:

I'll search for a nice CCD camera. Do you know of a reasonably-priced model, besides the ones on eBay? Are the ones on eBay any good?

I have a 2008 XC90 - the info on the Volvotech site seems to indicate I need NTSC. Is that your understanding? Did Volvo switch from PAL to NTSC after a certain model year?

Thanks
Hi

As far as I have been told they are all PAL.

To confirm, if you email Bob or one of the other guys at team@volvotech.eu they will confirm 100%. They are top guys and provide excellent support.

If you check with Volvotech first, then confirm which style of rear number plate light you have - then go camera shopping. To be honest, given the low prices on ebay it would be very hard to beat the price. The Volvotech cameras are of higher price but are guaranteed to fit and work well.

David
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:04   #35
nyc951

Hi David,

I have the Volvotech break-in box and have the cameras (NTSC) on order. I'd like to add the diode to the back-up lamp wire as you did. Can you tell me what size/spec diode to get? And did you simply add a 12V wire to the rear camera wire to manually trigger the camera?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:27   #36
nyc951

One more question: Is there a wire around the gear shifter area that turns +12V when I put the car into reverse? If so, I'd like to tap into that wire to automatically turn on the rear view camera when the car is in reverse. It'd be so much easier than running a wire all the way to the tail lamps.

Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 08:58   #37
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Hi David,

I have the Volvotech break-in box and have the cameras (NTSC) on order. I'd like to add the diode to the back-up lamp wire as you did. Can you tell me what size/spec diode to get? And did you simply add a 12V wire to the rear camera wire to manually trigger the camera?

Thanks again.
Firstly - did you check that NTSC is ok?

Diode - a simple 1N4001 is fine - you can get that anywhere.

Switch - yes, simply add whatever switch suits where you will mount it. The diode goes between the reversing lights and the volvotech box, and the switch between 12v and the volvotech box... so the switch does not light your reversing lights.

David
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 19:25   #38
nyc951

Bob at Volvotech said my 2008 car is NTSC, so I hope he's right!

Thank you for the tips. Now I just need to find a wire around the gear shifter that turns +12V when the shifter is put into Reverse.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 19:55   #39
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Bob at Volvotech said my 2008 car is NTSC, so I hope he's right!

Thank you for the tips. Now I just need to find a wire around the gear shifter that turns +12V when the shifter is put into Reverse.
Bob will be right - no reason to doubt these guys.

12V on reverse? I just wan a wire from the rear when I ran the video cable for the camera - no extra work really and was easy peasy to find!

David
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 18:44   #40
nyc951

I have the break-in box and camera now

Where did you hide your video cables that run from the rear of the car? Port or starboard side trim panels at the lower door openings?

Thanks again.

Tags
budget, diy, rse, screen, xc90