Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 Auction - Help

Views : 7815

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2022, 07:38   #51
Steve 940
Premier Member

Yes, I’m pretty sure this one has been on eBay for seemingly ages, I’ve been ‘just looking’ on and off for the last year, so perhaps missed it being sold and reposted.

Once I’d looked at the photos, I didn’t really pay much attention ongoing.

Why a 145, now that is needed a very good question???

145 or Amazon estate, I’m not too fussed either way, but my key points for looking at these are the more classic styling (thinner bumpers etc) in my eyes anyway, and a more simple basic mechanical set up that a newbie such as me can get to grips with.

Amazons are getting a bit out of my price range I think, so hence looking at 145’s.

Reason doesn’t really come into it, as I’m also very interested in a ‘30’s Morris 8 !!! Just fancy pootling around the lanes to the coast, and my two hounds would love the alfresco back seat😀

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1468813

Why did I buy my 945??? To be honest it was a gut feel, one local owner, an ex Major in Grenadier Guards, CMG & MBE who had passed away, low mileage etc.

Interesting obit link

http://guardsmagazine.com/obits/2018...4_Bendall.html

Just had a feel he would have been the type of owner who would fastidiously look after their car. Could have been completely wrong and he could have used it as a shed, but so far it’s been great

Lomax & Onyx in auction today and you can follow live on their YT link😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 07:39   #52
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... talking of 145 values, I saw this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144665488...Bk9SR8LUyu7XYA

... now, I'm 99% sure it is the same one that we discussed on the 'Seriously?' thread on 22 Nov 20 - when the asking price was £4,000. Either it never sold and the seller is still trying to hawk it, or someone bought it, realised it was a bag of barf and is trying to unload it at any price.

It is quirky (LHD 145 Express), but almost worthless of course; that isn't my point though, which is that many people think their old motor cars are worth much more than they really are.

Keep looking Steve - £5,000 sounds like a perfectly good budget to buy a good old Volvo to me. What is so special about 145s though? For about half that you might find a good 245, which would be a much better motor car.

:-)
Nostalgia, Alan?

Certainly, it may be argued that the two series car is better than the one series. By the same token, that the seven is better than the two, the nine than the seven, and so on.

As mentioned, my first Volvo was a one series and that will always have a special place in my heart. For that reason, although I don't have Steve's burning desire, l would be quite happy to have another.

Conversely, while I've never had the same yen for an Amazon, I did once go to look at a one owner, 20 year old, 123GT for sale in Nottingham at £300. What would that have made at auction today I wonder?

Regards, John.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 09:31   #53
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I'm sorry, Alan; just noticed the angry smile at the start of my previous post. My apologies; that was not meant to be there!

In mitigation, I replied to your post in bed on my (new) phone and can only conclude that I clicked on something that I ought not to have! Sorry!!

Regards, John.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:23   #54
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Yes, I’m pretty sure this one has been on eBay for seemingly ages, I’ve been ‘just looking’ on and off for the last year, so perhaps missed it being sold and reposted.

Once I’d looked at the photos, I didn’t really pay much attention ongoing.

Why a 145, now that is needed a very good question???

145 or Amazon estate, I’m not too fussed either way, but my key points for looking at these are the more classic styling (thinner bumpers etc) in my eyes anyway, and a more simple basic mechanical set up that a newbie such as me can get to grips with.

Amazons are getting a bit out of my price range I think, so hence looking at 145’s.

Reason doesn’t really come into it, as I’m also very interested in a ‘30’s Morris 8 !!! Just fancy pootling around the lanes to the coast, and my two hounds would love the alfresco back seat😀

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1468813

Why did I buy my 945??? To be honest it was a gut feel, one local owner, an ex Major in Grenadier Guards, CMG & MBE who had passed away, low mileage etc.

Interesting obit link

http://guardsmagazine.com/obits/2018...4_Bendall.html

Just had a feel he would have been the type of owner who would fastidiously look after their car. Could have been completely wrong and he could have used it as a shed, but so far it’s been great

Cheers
Steve
I only suggested 245s because there are quite a few historic (<1981) ones around now, and that is attractive for running an older motor car. I see your point about Amazons being a tad expensive (GAM was only £3,750, but did need a little work) and 145s seem to be heading that way. 240s are still pretty cheap, particularly those of about 1982/83 vintage that haven't qualified for the free tax yet - but will soon. A couple of grand still gets a low miles, low owners motor car with a MoT that won't cost much to make quite nice. The same type of 145 might be £5,000 and the Amazon perhaps £7,000.

Pre-1984 240s aren't really much more complex than 140s - they have OHC engines (better, but not more difficult to maintain) and disc brakes all round (same) but otherwise are really simple: carburettors, points ignition, the same gearboxes, live rear axles, similar suspension etc. Nothing to be scared of for the home mechanic.

That all being said though (... as I often tell Dan) there is no point whatsoever buying something you don't want. If 240s aren't your bag then certainly don't get one!

940s look nice: I may look for one when they are old enough to be tax exempt.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 21st, 2022 at 12:34.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:34   #55
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Nostalgia, Alan?

Certainly, it may be argued that the two series car is better than the one series. By the same token, that the seven is better than the two, the nine than the seven, and so on.

As mentioned, my first Volvo was a one series and that will always have a special place in my heart. For that reason, although I don't have Steve's burning desire, l would be quite happy to have another.

Conversely, while I've never had the same yen for an Amazon, I did once go to look at a one owner, 20 year old, 123GT for sale in Nottingham at £300. What would that have made at auction today I wonder?

Regards, John.
Nostalgia - yes of course John; if you cast your mind back to when I bought the RB that was entirely the reason. My first new motor car was a 240 back in the 80s. I'll always have a soft spot for 240s for that reason - I don't suppose I'll be without one for long after the RB departs (tomorrow).

I have a soft spot for my Amazon as well - nothing to do with nostalgia though - I'd not heard of them before I joined this community; GAM is just a cool motor car, that is all.

I'd certainly agree about 240s being better than 140s, and then 740s being better than 240s - and 940s better still. I'm looking forward to finding a nice 1984/5 740 in a year or three and letting it mature into an historic car, then a smart 940 in about 2030 and doing the same (if the historic vehicle scheme is still running then). The formula of buying just before a motor car's 40th birthday and selling a little after allows me to own some nice, interesting vehicles at no real financial cost, thus making this hobby free (perhaps I even gain a little compensation towards the 100s of hours I spend putting them together properly).

Last edited by Othen; Aug 21st, 2022 at 12:37.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 14:06   #56
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
The live auction feed is fantastic - what superb reality TV - I could watch it all day!

Old Aug 21st, 2022, 16:45   #57
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The live auction feed is fantastic - what superb reality TV - I could watch it all day!

The Onyx sold for £2,800 - I'm glad I didn't attend, I might well have bought that :-)
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 17:28   #58
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The Onyx sold for £2,800 - I'm glad I didn't attend, I might well have bought that :-)
... and the Lomax made £2,200 (provisional bit). Ditto above).
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 17:57   #59
Steve 940
Premier Member

Yes Alan the live feed is absolutely great entertainment, and a wide ranging cast of lots.

I suppose it's one positive to have come out of the pandemic changes that businesses have had to adapt, although a negative, is now I've seen it in action, it could be dangerous to ones wallet.

Hopefully the Onyx and Lomax find new owners, air cooled 2v engine I suppose so even simpler than a Volvo!!!

Next classic auction is November I think, a bit of pre festive enjoyment to look forward to😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 18:14   #60
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes Alan the live feed is absolutely great entertainment, and a wide ranging cast of lots.

I suppose it's one positive to have come out of the pandemic changes that businesses have had to adapt, although a negative, is now I've seen it in action, it could be dangerous to ones wallet.

Hopefully the Onyx and Lomax find new owners, air cooled 2v engine I suppose so even simpler than a Volvo!!!

Next classic auction is November I think, a bit of pre festive enjoyment to look forward to😀

Cheers
Steve
I really enjoyed that auction over the internet Steve. I left it on in the background whilst doing a few other things, but whenever I came back there
was something interesting happening.

I would not have trusted myself to register to bid: I saw a 1984 XK6 4.2 sell for only £900, and a 1987 Fiat 2.0l coupe go for £700! If I'd been in the room I might be shuffling the car trailer back and forwards to Kings Lynn for the next 4 days with the Onyx and the Lomax as well.