Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interference through stereo with RSE

Views : 3966

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 20:49   #1
J4CKO

Default Interference through stereo with RSE

Evening all.

Our XC60 arrived about a week ago (it was me moaning about the AA insurance!). When it arrived at the dealers, the rear screens and DVDs (RSE) hadn't so they fittem them a few days later. Driving out of the dealership there was high pitched interference coming through the speakers - changed pitch with engine speed. Obviously brought this to the attention of the dealer and the teeth sucking began. It's the new Sensus system so I wonder whether there are a few bugs?

Noise is roughly the same as when you had a cable plugged into the Aux in on ur V70 but with no ipod attached.

Has anyone had any experience with the RSE and the new Sensus premium stereo and is all well? Dealer has put a 'technical bulletin' into volvo - I think that's dealer speak for an e-mail - and I'm waiting to hear.

Would appreciate anyone who has the RSE letting me know if all is well so I can be armed when back at the dealer.

thanks all,

H

Last edited by J4CKO; Feb 6th, 2011 at 21:56. Reason: Spelling!
J4CKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:11   #2
dj898

I have exactly same issue with ours as well.
There was no such interference for couple of months but then I tried to plug in my iPhone using the USB port inside the centre console and after that we started to hear the noise.
And it seems to increase with the engine speed - higher the rpm more high pitched it gets...

so far no answer from Volvo and I shall remind them to look into on next service.
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 20:19   #3
darbs
XC60 Owner

this is an age old problem. a friend of mine had it happen to his vw beetle in the 80's. certainly shouldn't be happening on a my11 car. usually something to do with cable positioning - power vs rca and/ or ground loops. the dealer should be able to sort it with ease.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 20:39   #4
J4CKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
this is an age old problem. a friend of mine had it happen to his vw beetle in the 80's. certainly shouldn't be happening on a my11 car. usually something to do with cable positioning - power vs rca and/ or ground loops. the dealer should be able to sort it with ease.
I remember the days when you had to fit a suppressor to petrol engined cars to stop radio interference - that was down to the sparks within the distributor and general ignition system.

Should be no issues with Diesel you would think - the fact that it changes with engine speed means it must be related to the alternator in some way.

Anyway - when the dealer sorts it, I'll post any resolution on here...
J4CKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 21:20   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
Not quite the same issue - in spark ignition engines that use a coil there is a massive electromagnetic pulse when the field collapses due to the sudden discharge. This field collapse generates the 'noise' that you hear on a radio - the 'noise' from the spark is contained within the cylinder. (Electronic ignition is somewhat different)

CI engines cannot suffer from he issue you describe
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 21:26   #6
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Not quite the same issue - in spark ignition engines that use a coil there is a massive electromagnetic pulse when the field collapses due to the sudden discharge. This field collapse generates the 'noise' that you hear on a radio - the 'noise' from the spark is contained within the cylinder. (Electronic ignition is somewhat different)

CI engines cannot suffer from he issue you describe
i'd understood it was something to do with power generated from the alternator? is that something different?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 21:26   #7
crossedover

Could be interference from the injectors I guess...
crossedover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:09   #8
dj898

On recent service call I mentioned the symptom to the dealer but it seems they couldn't identify nor fix it as the problem is still there.

On our car the symptom is like this...
At first everything seems fine - till 15+min into the DVD playing and you first start to hear the faint whining sound through the speakers and it does seem to increase/decrease according to the speed. Then the audio from DVD would suddenly jump around - i.e. audio coming through FL speaker only followed by FR and then RR, then RL before coming through all speakers. Also during this jumping the DVD audio will reduced to whisper quite and then next moment back to normal level - while the whining noise at the background all the time.

I tested about half dozen Zone 4 DVD that I purchased from the shop as brand new and all showed the pretty much same issue.
I'm thinking of recording the audio with my iPhone or video record when this happened - problem is when this happens I'm usually behind the wheel and it's big hard to hold the iPhone in the middle of cabin while steering with the other hand and keep my eyes on the road AND iPhone screen to control… -__-;
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:56   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I had this same issue, first 15 mins of journey no issues at all, then the whining started and got steadily worse until I arrived at the destination.

Eventually realised that if I left the wife and kids at home then the problem never appeared
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:50   #10
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I had this same issue, first 15 mins of journey no issues at all, then the whining started and got steadily worse until I arrived at the destination.

Eventually realised that if I left the wife and kids at home then the problem never appeared
I had a not-dissimilar problem. On my way to work I kept getting an irritaing sqauwking/droning sound coming out of all the car speakers indespersed from time to time with what could only be described as dull and dreary muzak-like sounds. Bearable for 10 minutes, but after that, I'd be feeling murderous. However, once I stopped listening to Chris Evans on Radio 2 the problem all but disappeared (granted, a more bearable form of the problem occurs when listening to Chris Moyles on Radio 1.)