Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2002 'Fault In Car Emission System' ICON Illuminated

Views : 2806

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 21:20   #1
drphilldixon

Default V70 2002 'Fault In Car Emission System' ICON Illuminated

Hi

I have an illuminated 'Fault In Emission System' ICON illuminated in the bottom R.H. warning light window. I have used a PDC Fault Code Checker (designed for the V70) and no fault code has been generated.

The Car drives perfectly, no visible emissions and no other warning lights or indicators. Do I really need to take it to a Volvo Dealer as the Handbook suggests? Or are there any other items I can check myself before getting into £120 per hour labour?

Many Thanks,

Phill
drphilldixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 21:33   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd try resetting DTC's you may have to set a fault code for this to work, unplugging something, say the MAF sensor should do this OK.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 22:20   #3
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

I had this on my 2001 model, I had bought petrol in a garage never used before (or since) and the message disappeared after a few hundred miles and never returned and no fault codes were left. It was just bad petrol in my view. If you've done something similar it could be the same?
RaVolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 23:50   #4
drphilldixon

Dear Chris

Thank you for this information. Where is the MAF Sensor Located? I have a Haynes V70 W/Shop Manual. Do I unplug the sensor when I've found it, start the car, switch off and then read the DTC and cancel it if the ICON still appears - I'm a little unsure?

Thank You,

Phill
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 23:53   #5
drphilldixon

Thanks RaVolvor

I need a fill-up and will go to a different garage to see if different fuel does the trick! I've always run this vehicle on 99 Octane as I get more MPG than 95 RON together with better performance that more than makes up for the difference per litre.

Best Wishes,

Phill
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 17:07   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphilldixon View Post
Dear Chris

Thank you for this information. Where is the MAF Sensor Located? I have a Haynes V70 W/Shop Manual. Do I unplug the sensor when I've found it, start the car, switch off and then read the DTC and cancel it if the ICON still appears - I'm a little unsure?

Thank You,

Phill
More or less, you probably won't have to start the car just turn the key to Pos II, the MAF sensor is on the air intake pipework next to the air filter.
Wait about 5 minuites for the car to 'shut down' after you take the ignition key out before unplugging the sensor.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emissions, fault code, fault emissions system, warning light