Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo Care

Views : 885

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:38   #1
cheuman

Hi,
I just bought a used S40 2.0T Phase-2. The previous owner has upgraded the ECU and the LTP is now at 0.8 Bar. The car was come with a blow-off valve (BoV) but the previous owner had removed and reverted to stock when deliver to me.

My question are:
1. can the stock LPT take the tuned 0.8bar pressure?
2. does this car really need a BoV?
3. What is the use of BoV?
4. what is the average life-spand of S40 turbo kit?

Thanks in anticipation!

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 18:36   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Default RE: Turbo Care

My old phase 1 Lpt s40 was running stock with only a bleed valve and that was running 0.8bar and i never had any trouble with it.

Does the car need a BoV? depends if you like the pttttttsssshhhh when you change gear or not, i have a Bov on my 01model s40 and it doesn't really like it, it tries to stall at traffic lights after its had abit of stick. The only real use of a bov is the noise factor that comes with it.

I've seen standard s40 turbos with 140,000 miles and still going strong, i would thing they will last as long as you like as long as they are serviced regular or at least oil changes regular. Just for the record mines done 74,000 miles on a W plate and is just as quick if not quicker than new ones.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 16:15   #3
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Turbo Care

Hi.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Had mine at 0.9 Bar no probs, Make sure you use Ultimate or Optimax for best protection though.

2. No.

3. On a car that isn't very highly tuned: Nothing. It vents boost to atmosphere when you let off the throttle between gear changes, and in a car that has an integrated recirc valve, and a closed loop AFR system like yours, it will make the car run rich. That in the long term can kill the cat. Not good.

4. Should last at least 100K maybe more, depending on care.
Remember to let engine idle for at least 30 seconds when pulling up and for up to 4 times that time after a hard drive. This allows the turbo to spin down and cool properly.

Just take it for a *hard* drive (lots of WOT acceleration) at night, and then pull over (leave the engine running) and have a look at the turbo exhaust side, it will probably be glowing red. That is why you have to be kind to your turbo if you want it to last.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote