Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40T starting problems

Views : 970

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 22:40   #1
Richardj

Hi folks,

I have a 1998/9 S40T from new and done about 60,000 miles (I love it!). However over the last year I have had a really annoying starting problem.
Sometimes it will start 'on the button' but most times it will turn over for several seconds (it seems ages!) before starting. When this happens there is a puff of black smoke from the exhaust and the engine will be 'lumpy' for a few seconds before settling down.
The problem can happen at any time, engine and/or weather can be hot or cold.
My Volvo dealer has looked at it twice with no result. Can you guys help please!

Let me know if you want more detail.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:04   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: S40T starting problems

Hi.
Could be a couple of things...

The fuel pump, if you can hear a buzz when you put the key in and turn on the ignition then it is working and priming the fuel lines. If you don't hear it or it sounds erratic then it could be on its way out.

Or, the immobilser sensor ring on the lock barrel is getting worn and doesn't read the chip in the key properly and won't allow the car to start.

(The same thing is happening to my C70 at the moment. Sometimes it starts first go but other times it just turns over and will not fire. I am getting it sorted on Tuesday next week.
They instantly said that it was probably the sensor for the chip and asked for both sets of keys so they can program then into the new barrel sensor).

Could be the battery of course or the spark plugs....
Damn, that is 4 things. :)

It could be the ignition coils breaking down too. These cars use dual redundant spark direct ignition systems so no points or distributor.
D'OH!! 5 things.... ;-)

I will stop now, but hopefully that will give you food for thought.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 19:22   #3
Richardj

Thanks Dan,

The Dealer also thought of the Key Chips so I assume they tested for it but I will double check.
Also it had had (!) new plugs etc when being fully serviced a few weeks before - it needed a service and it was thought best to do this first since it just might have solved it, but it didn't.
They also had the Engine control unit off and cleaned all it's connections and also changed all the fuel filters.

It ALWAYS starts eventually so it seems to be an intermittent fault or one that the ECU can override but where to start.....

If I get it solved I will post the result.

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:16   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: S40T starting problems

Getthem to test/try a different fuel pump. These do go and if it isn't working the car will obviously not fire.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 20:34   #5
paul s40

Hello mate,

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my 98 2.0T. I traced problem down to a split diaphram in the fuel pressure regulator that sits on the fuel rail with the injectors. Fuel was being allowed to weep past diaphram and down the vacuum pipe to the throttle body. I replaced it (£70 ish from Volve dealer) and now its spot on.

Hope this helps!
Laters
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 21:09   #6
Richardj

Great! Thanks very much - I will put this at the top of my list!

I intend to talk through with the dealer a list of the very good stuff you guys are coming up with. The dealers people are a good bunch and will openly welcome some help. If and when I get it solved I will post the solution.

Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks again

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 22:22   #7
Richardj

Default RE: S40T starting problems - Solved!

SOLVED!
Hi Guys - sorry it's taken time to get back to you but...The first dealer I was with had the car on 5 different days over a couple of months. They tried everything including the stuff you all suggested. In particular, putting a Gauge on the Fuel Pressure Regulator several times and said 'no problem since the pressure was OK'. I gave up and eventually decided to take it to another dealer who accepted the 'Challenge'.
He looked at my notes, the Database notes from the other Volvo dealer and especially your stuff. When I arrived he immidiately looked inside the Pressure Regulator vacuum tube! A smidgen of petrol! (such a simple check to do!) A new Regulator was fitted and the problem is SOLVED.
Thanks very much indeed to you guys. After months of frustration my S40T is now a joy to drive again.

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 15:57   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: S40T starting problems - Solved!

Cool.
Nice to hear when something gets sorted.

Dan.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 16:54   #9
paul s40

Nice to hear its sorted mate. :-)