Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo on call service required

Views : 6330

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2021, 09:51   #1
Zayynn12

Default Volvo on call service required

Hi there fellas
I obviously don’t expect a reply to my question in this public forum so any private messages would be greatly Appreciated.

So I’ve recently just snapped up a Volvo V90 19 plate (My19) and after having the battery off and then reconnecting it I’ve got a “Volvo in call service required” error on the dash. Now Ive got Volvo assistance to come out but they couldn’t find any faults so then the dealer told me to bring it in to see if they can fix it on the spot.

turns out it was unplugged for too long and that completely depleted the backup battery. Now because I’ve taken off the battery they won’t cover it under warranty.
They’ve priced me up at £93 for the module and about 200 odd quid for labour + vat.
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow- I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.

I was actually quite surprised as the tech told me that the battery was disconnected 3 days ago and that the main battery has only ever been fully charged once so it got me wondering what else does the software show up :blink:

Got it on charge overnight but does anyone know where these modules are located
Zayynn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:38   #2
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayynn12 View Post
Hi there fellas
I obviously don’t expect a reply to my question in this public forum so any private messages would be greatly Appreciated.

So I’ve recently just snapped up a Volvo V90 19 plate (My19) and after having the battery off and then reconnecting it I’ve got a “Volvo in call service required” error on the dash. Now Ive got Volvo assistance to come out but they couldn’t find any faults so then the dealer told me to bring it in to see if they can fix it on the spot.

turns out it was unplugged for too long and that completely depleted the backup battery. Now because I’ve taken off the battery they won’t cover it under warranty.
They’ve priced me up at £93 for the module and about 200 odd quid for labour + vat.
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow- I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.

I was actually quite surprised as the tech told me that the battery was disconnected 3 days ago and that the main battery has only ever been fully charged once so it got me wondering what else does the software show up :blink:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope you do get the replies in the public forum and not through PM as that is the only way the rest of us learn too! That is one of the great things about this forum.

And welcome to the forum. Ask any questions, most on here are very knowledgeable.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi there fellas

If all you did was disconnect the battery and refitted it then insist its covered by warranty.. how long did you leave it disconnected for ?

you are supposed to charge the battery with it in the car and the negative charging clip MUST go to the chassis or engine block NOT the battery terminal , this is so the cars systems can monitor what is going on ..

Yes the cars system holds about 3 sheets of A4 details on all aspects of the battery and usage , it lists the types of journeys you do , miles and time taken etc .. + a lot more

On the previous models the On Call reserve battery was a special VERY long lasting battery ( 10 years + ) not the rechargeable type which have a limited life... This has never caused a problem however long the car battery was left off

To charge the battery overnight is nowhere near enough . as a worst case with the battery completely flat leave it on a 10 Amp + charger for 48 hours ... your battery is probably sulphated and this process greatly helps the battery to recover .

For interest, Volvo recommend the battery is charged every 2 weeks in these current conditions when the car isn't used very much ...

For £200 you might get 90 minutes of labour ...
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:25   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

From the owners manual

Screenshot_2021-02-09-11-19-14.jpg
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 16:28   #5
skippyfox
VOC Member

Hello Zayynn 12.
Just out of interest, which dealer did you go to?
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 17:35   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Found this on Youtube, may come in handy.
https://youtu.be/GQ1SGYY0lUE
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 19:16   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

It's unclear which battery is being referred to here, not helped by the confusing names given to the batteries. Here's my understanding of them but I'm happy to be corrected.

There is the main battery in the boot which handles most of the usual functions including supplying the starter motor. Then there is the so-called 'stop/start' battery which doesn't actually feed the starter motor but its job is to ensure that there isn't a voltage drop to the various ECMs, which there would otherwise be, caused by the starter motor drawing a very large current (which would cause a voltage dip).

The OP refers to a VoC service being required so perhaps it's the VoC backup battery that's failed. This battery ensures that even if there is a complete electrical failure (following a crash, say) the VoC/SOS systems will still work. I don't know if this VoC battery is rechargeable or is an extended-storage lithium cell. If it isn't rechargeable and the OP had disconnected the car's main supply for several hours, it's possible that VoC/SOS had reverted to backup mode (as it should) but ran out of power after a few hours. It's unlikely that the VoC backup battery is rated to supply power for more than a few hours.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 19:53   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

That is how I understand it, removing the main starter battery for a prolonged period to charge it up instead of using the under bonnet positive and earth charging posts caused the problem, my posts were to say charge the battery via the charge points if you can, and if you must remove the battery follow the video guide using a 12 volt power supply on the charge posts before disconnecting the battery to prevent this happening.
It is a timely warning to us all, now we know the possible consequences.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:35   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow
I've done some more checking and the VoC backup batteries are located within the VCM (Vehicle Comms Module), see pic. They appear to be non-rechargeable lithium cells.

Quote:
...does anyone know where these modules are located?
Not sure where the VCM is located (might be in the boot) but you really don't want to mess with this module. A replacement unit will cost ~£1,500.

Quote:
I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.
Actually, that may not be unreaonable given the time it'll take to access the module, replace the batteries, put it back together and test the system.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCM battery backup.jpg (50.6 KB, 80 views)
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:45   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That pic shows bog standard lithium AA cells.

So replacing the batteries with new ones is dead easy - once you have access to the unit.

But you still need to tell the car it had new batteries fitted.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote