Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

head gasgit

Views : 692

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:47   #1
livinabox

On the 940s do the head gasgits go on a regular basis? on buying a new pump to cure a water leak problem i was told they sell a lot of them. The leak is still there but only tiny. when you start the car it fires on 3 for about 15 seconds then its ok. Im just wondering if the head needs doing and this is a common problem?

Cheers n beers steve.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:41   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: head gasgit

In my experience it is certainly not the case that any Volvo is prone to head gasket failure. The 2,000,000 plus mile 1800 has only had the head off twice in all those miles.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 18:28   #3
livinabox

Well 2m miles aint to be sniffed at i must say so ill have to alter the question to the pump/head again slightely. On using a mirror when fitting the pump i could see small black pit marks on the underside of the mating area where the pump locates upwards. Now as a toolmaker by trade i polished the bits of old gasgit off and all over the front of the block. I even worked out that the pump needs jacking up to squash the seal down but as its so darn close to the split line from head to block i cant be sure whats at fault and why the firing on 3 on start up when all the plugs dizzy cap and leads have been replaced?
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 00:28   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: head gasgit

It is possible that the firing on three may be due to fuelling problems such as a lazy injector or pulse from the ECU. Another reason may be that the tappets have been set a little tight on one cylinder which will give a similar effect.

There should not be any gasket material visible around the water feed hole. It may be pieces of old seal adhering to the bottom of the head. Sometimes a thicker gasket or even two gaskets may be fitted to the head. If this ois what has vbbeen done on your car you will need a slightly longer seal to accomodate the greater clearance. These are readily available.

Now if the head gasket has started to blow it is usually at the front left-hand corner. Basically it blows through from the number 1 cylinder to the water jacket which then progresses from the water jacket to the outside of the head/block joint area. This would show with a cold coolant pressure test, but not with engine hot.

Come back if you still need help and we will try some other suggestions.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote