Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Toy - 1998 V70R

Views : 8321

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 20:19   #51
CosmicBike

This thing has impeccable timing. All set for the MOT on Thursday, driving to work tonight the engine management light comes on! Nothing has changed so I wonder if I have disturbed a connector perhaps, I needed to lift the engine an inch or so to swap the lower arm. Will looksy tomorrow and plug in the free Vol-FCR to see if I get anything...
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 15:27   #52
CosmicBike

Well the free copy of Vol-FCR identified one DTC code but wouldn't tell me what it was. Battery disconnected for 20 minutes cleared the light, and after a spirited drive to the MOT garage this morning I'm pleased to have a clean pass with no advisories. Niggles now I guess, like the NSR window not working, and indeed the speaker in the same door.
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 16:29   #53
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Well done. What was the code?

Edit: Ignore above, I just realised you won't know as it won't tell you. Initially I thought you meant that you had a code but you didn't know what was causing it, but in fact perhaps it's not even telling you what the code is, just that you have one (had!). Ignore me, I'm an idiot. Cheers

Last edited by Luxobarge; Sep 15th, 2022 at 16:31.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 13:20   #54
CosmicBike

Ever since replacing the drivers side lower arm and engine mount I've has a droning noise at 30mph upwards, most noticeable when lifting off the throttle and cruising down from circa 45mph to 30 mph. I thought maybe front wheel bearings, but stripped both sides down to the hub and spun up with the big listening screwdriver and they are silent. I'm wondering if it could be front wheel alignment, after all, I haven't had it done after swapping both front struts and the lower arm.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 10:25   #55
CosmicBike

Finally got around to having the alignment done by my local indie tyre fitter/wheel man. All very fancy digital stuff and the OSF which I changed the lower arm on was nearly 2 degrees out which explains the horrible front end feel. Vastly improved now, but the drone remains. I had a similar experience when I changed the engine mounts on my 240, which over time has gone silent, so I do wonder if it's related to having new, hard rubber mounts installed.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 19:08   #56
CosmicBike

More bits to keep me busy. Offside Nivomat boot was split, so stripped the shock off yesterday, bit of heat saw the lower mounting eyelet come off the shaft OK which made fitting the new Volvo boot really easy. No signs of any leaks on the shock so caught it early enough. Annoyingly when under the car found the outer brake pad virtually non-existant, but the inner one as new. Something else to order, it's off the road at the moment for....
The dreaded oil cooler pipe leaks! I have searched for the normally aspirated oil plate which essentially deletes the oil cooler, guru Robert has done extensive testing and found it makes no difference. Can't find one in the UK, so I'm either rebuilding the lines or ordering from the USA where it's still available. Took a good hour to strip it all out this afternoon, sod of a job.
On the plus side, fixed the rear screen washer jet, blocked pipework cleared with a quick blast of compressed air back down the flexi pipe in the tailgate.
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 17:21   #57
CosmicBike

Actually quite a positive few hours on the car the last couple of days. Stripped the stuck caliper down and found the inner pad rusted to it! And these were apparently replaced not long before I bought the car.... All cleaned up, was loads of material left on the pads, so new retaining pins and springs from the every growing parts bin and that's 1 issue resolved.
Oil cooler, well I stripped it all out, made a bypass loop with oil hose and swore a bit getting it all back in. Seems OK so far but only done a few test miles, will keep a close eye. Still seeking the correct part, available to order from the USA which landed comes in around £70. Cheaper than replacing the lines with genuine Volvo items, but about on a par with rebuilding the lines myself....
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 20:16   #58
CosmicBike

This thing just keeps giving! Dropped the undertray this morning and found green water in it. I've been chasing a small water leak for ages, so minor it is almost non-existent, so put UV dye in the water. Well, today I found it and not surprised the rad has failed on the top corner of the plastic. Ho hum, new one on the way.
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 22:39   #59
CosmicBike

Back on the road today! Oil cooler delete completed, and since the coolant leak is minor decided to bring to work tonight. Makes a change from the 240 daily driver, and the Ford Galaxy dog bus!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 16:02   #60
CosmicBike

This thing is sent to try me! A break in the weather and I started to remove bits to get the old radiator out. All going very well, happy me. Ony when it got to removing the pair of blots which hold the triple radiator pack to the car did the trouble start. Despite plenty of plusgas and being left, they both managed only a few turns before snapping their little spot welds or whatever holds them in place. Much fighting later and I cut the radiator mounts off with a multi-tool, then had space to get in with grips and an impact gun to get them out. Will rebuild with new rivnuts in when the time comes.
Fingers crossed for a bit more dry weather and hopefully finish up soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post: