Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new toy. 1966 1800s

Views : 1642

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 14:05   #1
amazondean
amazondean

Default My new toy. 1966 1800s

Fully gas flowed head, four branch manifold, 2 1/4" stainless exhaust on a rebuilt 2 litre engine with K camshaft.

amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 14:34   #2
222s
Amazoniste

What a great combination!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 16:22   #3
dilip122S

Talking Green with envy

What a cracking pair of Volvos, Amazondean. I'll admit to a degree of jealousy.....
dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 16:50   #4
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Its quite amazing how quickly you can go right orft some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, have fun with the new toy.

Green prose would have been appropriate, but I can't work out how to do that!

Alec
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 17:51   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Forgot to say in my first post - with those performance tweaks, that 1800 really needs a set of '60s Cosmic alloy wheels, and I just happen to have a set

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 17:57   #6
740Estate
Undercover 740

Nice motor (s)

Not jealous in the slightest
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 17:59   #7
740Estate
Undercover 740

Oh and Alec, in your profile settings, select the advanced posting set. Affords you so many more little extras to your posts
USer CP > Edit Options, > scroll down to Misc. Options, > select advanced WYSIWYG editor then save..
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality

Last edited by 740Estate; Aug 7th, 2006 at 18:01.
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:59   #8
amazondean
amazondean

I had an mgb for over fifteen years but eventualy realised that it wasn't getting the use it deserved. I was reluctant to sell it as I helped rebuild it eleven years ago, but now I have two children I couldn't justify it any longer. I sold it to a neighbour and included in the sale was his caravan. I got a good price for her and the wife and kids love the caravan.

Not long after, I saw the 1800s for sale not far from were I live. I have always fancied one but was always frightened of them as they are probably beyond me as far as body repairs go and I know they get bodged with filler. But the guy selling seemed a very genuine chap so I went for a look armed with a torch and magnet.

I was expecting the usual pile of filler but was pleasantly surprised to find that there has been no repairs to the floors or boot area and I am struggling to find any serious repairs anywere on the car. I cannot believe that it is basicaly original because like the mgb these cars can rot badly. The only sign of any serious filler is at the bottom of the front wings were the front wings meet the sills. The sills seem free of filler, just the bottom of the front wings so only time will tell!! Under neath is totaly original and never been welded. The drivers side outrigger and jacking point are starting to rot but other than that is very good and original.

I bought the car with the remaining money left over from the sale of the mgb, so I feel lucky that I have basicaly got a caravan and the 1800s for the mgb. When I got home I looked through the pile of history that came with the car and found almost all the MOT papers dating back to 1971 and shows that the mileage of 89000 is genuine. I didn't need this car but couldn't resist it. the kids can fit in the back better than the MG as well. I'm not sure how long I shall keep it as justifying it is difficult but I got it for the right price and hopefully will be able to at least get my money back when it is time to sell. Thats the beauty of classics, you can drive around in just about any thing and as long as you know what you are buying can have great fun and still get your money back when it is time to sell.

After fifteen years of MGB ownership the car stood me at around £7000 including buying, serviceing and restoring it. I got the equivalent of that back when I sold it including the caravan. Although you don't get back the nervous breakdown, tears and sweat when your restoring it. If the 1800s does the same for me as the MGB without the tears and sweat I will be a happy bloke.

By the way I think it's me thats jealous of you Dilip122s. Theres not many can say they have had ken rudd in there car and your car looks very original and a very rare beast.

Below was the very last photo of the wife and MG taken a couple of weeks before I sold her. ( the car not the wife!) Driving around the hills in north yorkshire. Brilliant. The other photo was taking the caravan to scarborough, pulled by the amazon. It did struggle a bit, I think it needs a few engine tweeks to give me a bit more power. Cheers for now...

Dean

Last edited by amazondean; Aug 8th, 2006 at 07:06.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 23:59   #9
dilip122S

Default ruddspeed

Thank you Amazondean , its as original as I could make it. I got rid of the drum front brakes , (replaced with servo'd B18 discs ) after one or two moments of near heart-failure in modern , ABS-assisted , London traffic!
Also polybushed throughout , lowered with gas shocks , and OD box from early P1800 ( and B18 trans tunnel to match).
Its also now aquired original Lucas foglights , a Les Leston "Walsall" steering wheel and a period Smiths impulse tacho , all as fitted by Ken in period....
The tyres are whitewall radials rather than the original Xplies too, of which Ken dissapproved , as he always fitted Cinturatos to his cars...

I was lucky enough to meet Mr.Rudd at the Historic Motorsport show at Stoneleigh last year , and even luckier in that he remembered my father , to whom he sold a brand new , road-tuned Ruddspeed B18 122S in 1964, and thereby hangs a tale.....

dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 22:32   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Very nice - I must get on with my P1800

BIG KICK UP MY OWN ARSE!!!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote