Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 locking question

Views : 1823

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 00:00   #11
Frank

Have tried Yeomans suggestion and this does not work either. Take the key out of door lock and all doors unlock

Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 01:46   #12
kwanho

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far. You are not doing your engine any favor, it takes a lot longer for your engine to warm up like that, oil flow in a cold engine is restricted, so you are doing more wear than needed.

I always wait till everyone is in the car, and ready to leave before I start the engine. Than I would pull off within 15 seconds, and drive gently till the engine has warmed up.

My thoughts.
kwanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 04:34   #13
BreezyXC60

I live in Canada and in this weather you "HAVE" to let it warm up at least 10 minutes minimum before you leave. Even then the engine is cold, the inside of the car is freezing and the steering wheel almost too cold to hold on to. And I am talking about a indoor un-heated garage start.

I would hate to try to start this vehicle outside with frosted snow covered windows as you sit there freezing because you can't lock it.

Being unable to lock the car while warming it and also the almost impossibility of having a car starter added to the XC60 would of been the biggest reasons for us not buying this car. Luckily we for some reason decided to try the XC60 out anyway at the Volvo dealer on the way to purchase another brand and happened to fall in love despite these short comings.

You really should be able to keep it running and locked as so many of the other competitor vehicles can be , especially if you can't add a car starter.

I really hate the fact that many cheaper cars have car starters and can be locked and I either have to make the choice to freeze in my very expensive vehicle in the freezing cold or risk it being broken into sitting out being unlocked until it is warm and able to be driven.
BreezyXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:45   #14
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanho View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far. You are not doing your engine any favor, it takes a lot longer for your engine to warm up like that, oil flow in a cold engine is restricted, so you are doing more wear than needed.

I always wait till everyone is in the car, and ready to leave before I start the engine. Than I would pull off within 15 seconds, and drive gently till the engine has warmed up.

My thoughts.
Apart from being off topic, that's nonsense- My thoughts )
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 15:22   #15
kwanho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Apart from being off topic, that's nonsense- My thoughts )
Yes, that is off topic, but was only trying to give you some good advice, if you disagree, than just research on it.

But, by the sounds of it, you're just a ignorant fart.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 18:34   #16
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, that is off topic, but was only trying to give you some good advice, if you disagree, than just research on it.

But, by the sounds of it, you're just a ignorant fart.
LOL and you have anger management issues! So you pile everyone in a freezing cold car and start off immediately with zero visability due to the condensation from the occupiers breath and the ice still on the windscreen..... Thanks for the advice but I'll remain ignorant of it.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 19:57   #17
gillberry
VOC Member

Just gone thru this thread and must admit not tried locking my xc90 as I start the engine , switch on the heated seats , rear demist and screen blower then I scrape off the ice from all my windows and this time means the seats are warm the screens are clear so I can drive off with full visibility . I'm sure it is better to just get in your car and drive off but there are time where that is unsafe and makes you a danger to other road users with your reduced visibility .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:12   #18
kwanho

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Just gone thru this thread and must admit not tried locking my xc90 as I start the engine , switch on the heated seats , rear demist and screen blower then I scrape off the ice from all my windows and this time means the seats are warm the screens are clear so I can drive off with full visibility . I'm sure it is better to just get in your car and drive off but there are time where that is unsafe and makes you a danger to other road users with your reduced visibility .
Look, all I am saying is you're wearing the engine more by doing what the OP wants to do.

Do what you think is right, but what I got ****ed off about is that I've wasted my time to post, trying to make the OP aware of this problem, but you just get people telling you that this is nonsense, it's a clear fact your engine takes a lot longer to warm up to normal operating temperature if it's just running sitting outside your drive, most engine wear is done when the engine is cold. Why do you think there are some many pre-heaters on the market for?

If there is ice on your windscreen or it's misted up inside your car, you would need to clear it and have good visibility before you set off, thought that is a bit obvious.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:35   #19
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Look, all I am saying is you're wearing the engine more by doing what the OP wants to do.

Do what you think is right, but what I got ****ed off about is that I've wasted my time to post, trying to make the OP aware of this problem, but you just get people telling you that this is nonsense, it's a clear fact your engine takes a lot longer to warm up to normal operating temperature if it's just running sitting outside your drive, most engine wear is done when the engine is cold. Why do you think there are some many pre-heaters on the market for?

If there is ice on your windscreen or it's misted up inside your car, you would need to clear it and have good visibility before you set off, thought that is a bit obvious.
Yeah my kids will really appreciate being told that they have to freeze because I'm worried about the engine wear it will cause over the next month or so. I'm sure that the diiference between driving it immediately from cold to letting it idle from cold over a month or so is relatively negligible. The pre-heaters you refer to are for countries that regularly get long periods of arctic weather of which Britain isn't one of them usually. I suggest you wind in that neck of yours and stop being so reactionary as nobody forced you to post your amazing advice here.