Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Doese exactly what is says on the Tin !!

Views : 2270

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 16:44   #11
pete-d
pete-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
As an aside, did anyone see the BBC news last night (Wed) where there was a clip of some Traffic cops somewhere with an xc70, which they had managed to get stuck on a snow dirft. What concerned me was that the front wheel was spinning wildly while trying to get traction - though the hole point of all the gadgetry was that the wheels shouldnt spin!?!?!

R.
Yes I saw that too and had similar thoughts.

Pete

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013
pete-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 16:45   #12
pete-d
pete-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS XC90 View Post
Hi RoscoMac,
I live at the end of a close and on Boxing day the road was sheet ice. I had the XC90 out on it and can confirm that the wheels will spin (all 4 of them) so assuming the XC70 used by the Police also had the back wheels spinning this is completely normal.
I think the gadgetry just detects that the front wheels are spinning and then applies an increasing amount of drive to the rear wheel until the maximum front to back split is applied. Once this has happened it’s a simple case that all wheels spin.
I'm pretty sure you could see the back wheel on the same side and that wasn't turning at all...

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013
pete-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 19:20   #13
NCS XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-d View Post
I'm pretty sure you could see the back wheel on the same side and that wasn't turning at all...
Sounds like theres something wrong with the AWD on that one as well. Must admit I'm getting worried about how long mine will last given the numbers that seem to be failing.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 22:14   #14
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I have also been extremely impressed with the car in the snow we have here in The Midlands. I recently fitted 4 Goodyear Wrangler tyres (All season + Mud/Snow rated) which I believe also helps.
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 23:19   #15
JMP

I'm very pleased with mine too. Winter mode works much better on take off and I ascended a hill at my mother in laws that was covered in ice without any problems. Coming down was a little awry but the guy in the defender shortly after me made a much bigger mess of it! I only use manual selection on downward runs and W seems to make a much more progressive take off - out of W I find it loses traction quite a lot more and the traction light comes on like lights on a christmas tree.

A couple of questions...

1 - Does anyone know what sppeds you can drive up to in winter mode?

2 - At what speeds can you change between winter and normal. I have been changing at speeds of up to 30mph and assume it is just a change in the electronic management system so no worries about low range ratios etc.

I'm now tempted to swap the V70 for a V70 AWD or XC70!!!
2005 '55 Mercedes C200 CDI Avantgarde Estate
1979 'T' MGB Roadster
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:04   #16
GSMGuy
Master Member

There is no limit to the speed in W mode, all it does is start you off in 3rd gear.

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 13:14   #17
artwilliam

ahhh that's why it takes an age to pull away!

Fortunately for me too the four wheel drive system has been working brilliantly during the recent 'weather'.

I've climbed some hefty snow covered inclines with no problems at all.
Going down the other side is another story all together!
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to artwilliam For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 21:06   #18
docjd

Smile Snowy Jan 2010

Agree -Xc90 05 has been great on ice,snow etc.
I had the angle gear leak detected summer 09-they re sealed it for £280. This included i think a 40% discount after negotiation (full dealer history 35,000!!! miles at the time).Luckily nothing else appeared to be damaged.
Any way its proved its metal this week-meant dropping children to college(no buses) and wife to work etc.
Not sure how long the repair will last-will pop under the car in spring to ensure no obvious oil stain etc.
Happy New Year
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote