Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Doese exactly what is says on the Tin !!

Views : 2271

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 23:06   #1
SED5

Smile Doese exactly what is says on the Tin !!

Hi all, I am a very happy person......... after reading with growing concern so many posts on the failure of the AWD system I am happy to report my 2005 XC90 has not suffered the same fate and over the last week it has coped with challenging conditions brilliantly , snow, Ice all handled really well, even climbed a 1 in 4 hill covered in snow and Ice to my brothers house with no drama .......I was a bit concerned because in normal conditions you cannot easily tell whether the awd is working , but after this week I have no such worries ......for those who have suffered failures I am truly sorry and I hope your respective dealerships will do the decent thing and resolve your problems to your satisfaction.......of course you still have to drive sensilbly no amount of traction gizmos will keep you out of trouble if your not very subtle with brakes and throttle .....one thing I am not sure of is what use the "W" button is, other than getting the autobox to pull away in second I really have not noticed any difference ...does any one know what settings it actually adjusts ? I found it better to... say when decending a gradient to change to semi auto and control the gears manually using engine breaking to slow down , forcast is for a prolonged cold spell to come so no doubt I will have the oppertunity to put her to the test again !!!! whatever your doing stay safe and a Happy New Year to you all.....

Thanks
Michael
SED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 23:29   #2
GSMGuy
Master Member

Yup, having done over 1000 miles in the last week in ALL kinds of freezing and icy conditions, likewise - my XC90 has done so well, I believe she is due for a wash!!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 00:06   #3
Sportwag

I understand that "W" starts the car in 3rd (if it is a 5-speed Geartonic). I used it initially in the snow but found no real benefit and have been using normal "D" mode instead. I also wasn't used to Geartronic in snow and so used manual selection mode a few times but almost everytime I switched over from Auto, it was in the gear I wanted anyway. No doubt "W" has an advantage if things get really tricky. After 3 weeks of persistent snow and ice, I have been extremly impressed with the XC90 - our other car is a fwd B8Audi A4 Avant which has been hopeless in the snow/ice/slush.
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:02   #4
Frank

I also have a 2005 XC90 and have had no problems with 6 or 7 up and towing caravan through the snow in the past week. I also commute each day and I do use the W as I think it does pull away more smoothly but maybe it is just an impression.
The car also performed brilliantly throughout the whole of last winter towing the caravan in heavy snow and ice so I am very happy with it.

Frank

Last edited by Frank; Jan 7th, 2010 at 01:10.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 14:47   #5
kentishdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportwag View Post
I understand that "W" starts the car in 3rd (if it is a 5-speed Geartonic). I used it initially in the snow but found no real benefit and have been using normal "D" mode instead. I also wasn't used to Geartronic in snow and so used manual selection mode a few times but almost everytime I switched over from Auto, it was in the gear I wanted anyway. No doubt "W" has an advantage if things get really tricky. After 3 weeks of persistent snow and ice, I have been extremly impressed with the XC90 - our other car is a fwd B8Audi A4 Avant which has been hopeless in the snow/ice/slush.
Generally pleased with performance in snow, although it did get stuck in office carpark. Have used W on the main roads for starting, although seems to offer no real benefit. As soon as the going gets tough starting on an icy/snowy incline it will not pull away in 3rd, so need to drop it back into Manual or normal Auto.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 21:18   #6
paul chocks

Fun in the snowDSC01414.jpg

DSC01404.jpg
paul chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 22:05   #7
Beavis
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul chocks View Post
now, either someone lives in the middle of no-where, or you too have been looking for something a little more challenging than the local 'A' roads!

Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 22:45   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul chocks View Post
At last! An xc90 with mudguards attached! thanks.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 23:41   #9
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

As an aside, did anyone see the BBC news last night (Wed) where there was a clip of some Traffic cops somewhere with an xc70, which they had managed to get stuck on a snow dirft. What concerned me was that the front wheel was spinning wildly while trying to get traction - though the hole point of all the gadgetry was that the wheels shouldnt spin!?!?!

R.
RoscoMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 12:55   #10
NCS XC90

Hi RoscoMac,
I live at the end of a close and on Boxing day the road was sheet ice. I had the XC90 out on it and can confirm that the wheels will spin (all 4 of them) so assuming the XC70 used by the Police also had the back wheels spinning this is completely normal.
I think the gadgetry just detects that the front wheels are spinning and then applies an increasing amount of drive to the rear wheel until the maximum front to back split is applied. Once this has happened it’s a simple case that all wheels spin.
I too am very happy with the performance over this period. Not got stuck anywhere yet.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCS XC90 For This Useful Post: