Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Propshaft Drive Splined Sleve

Views : 1299

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 13:53   #1
markheywood

Default Propshaft Drive Splined Sleve

Can someone please tell me the location of the Propshaft splined drive sleve. Is it located on the gearbox side of the Bevel Gear or the Propshaft side.I would be grateful for any hints to help with the job of replacement.
markheywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:14   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

it is the coupling which joins the gearbox to the angle gear so between the angle gear and gearbox , you need to remove the angle gear to expose it . Volvo do a hydraulic tool to pull the sleeve off as it can stick to the gearbox splines ..
The volvo time to remove and refit angle gear is 2 hours .
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:25   #3
markheywood

That is where I thought it was but Volvo instructions say that to remove the Bevel gear you have to remove the right hand driveshaft from it first so if the right hand driveshaft drives why does the propshaft not.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:31   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

because the right driveshaft goes staright through the middle of the angle gear and sleeve and couples to the sun gear in the differential just like any other car .. It has nothing to do with the rear wheel drive system ..
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:37   #5
markheywood

Thanks for the help I will now investigate the problem although I think I know what the soloution is going to have to be . This should not be happening to so many people owning what they think is a quality four wheel drive vehicle.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 00:23   #6
BigHealey

Hi Just like Markheywood. I have just discovered that my XC90 is a 2WD vehicle. I first noticed this a year ago where I was stuck on a gentle incline in ice and snow. Not knowing the vehicles ability in snow and ice I just thought it was crap. Recently stuck again and noticed just the front wheels were turning. It would appear that the failure of the transmission is quite a common problem and occurs around 50k to 60K miles. At 52K miles on mine I am somewhat disgusted by this failure. My old Toyota 4WD was at 220k miles and still going strong!!! What is even worse is apparently Volvo apparently do not sell the parts to repair the failure in the transfer box (is this the bevel gear you refer to Clan?), but only a complete exchange. So it is an exchange replacement at an all in price including Parts and fitting of around £1500.00 by my independent. Not sure whether this is true, but Volvo have apparently improved the strength of this part by 50% on 2009 onwards. Unfortunately the new part is not back compatible. An admission of a bad design? Clan thank you for your indepth knowledge, but could you let me know what the part numbers are for the replacement parts you refer to for a XC90 on an 04 plate and whether the complete transfer box requires replacement or just the gears and sleeve? I wonder if there is an image of the parts in question so that I can go to my independent to ensure they are talking about the same thing. Cheers Robin
BigHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:08   #7
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

I am sorry as it doesn't help you, but I am reassured to hear you say that the part has been strengthened from 2009. I have just ordered a new XC90 and this was one concern I had - the longevity of the drive train. Lets hope the new strengthened part is significantly better.

ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:33   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

£1500 seems costly In round figures as far as i remember from a while ago the sleeve is about £80 and the exchange angle gear is about £800 so thats about £1000 inc vat
labour is 2 hours to renew the parts say £220 at a main dealer ? If an independant is charging you £1500 hes doing you no favours .. may as well get it done at the dealer who had the correct tools to pull the sleeve off and will use the correct volvo grease to protect the new splines , an independant is unlikely to know about that . Who knows you may get some discount too . Explain your situation to a few dealers and get the best quote .
Until it is removed you wont know if the angle gear splines are damaged enough to replace it .. but after driving around for a year with them stripped its more than likely it will . You must let your volvo dealer choose the correct parts for you .