Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric Vehicle conversion for 700/900 ?

Views : 7219

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 07:56   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
In the midst of this electric talk another point to be researched is the environmental impact of the lithium extraction alone and the aquifers it drains/ habitats it destroys in places.

I am not stubborn so i am always open to new information but i will eat hay with a donkey if the electric car trend does not become a battery nightmare in decades. Lithium batteries are just too dirty for this scale i still think. Companies will say anything to get what they want but in reality which is where i live, it will be very different.

For profit Corners will be cut, and people will be affected. There will be batteries dumped and incorrect recycling etc etc. I just have a awful feeling about it. If i am proved wrong long term i can live with that better reality.
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/p...g-net-zer.html

Have a read of that in that case. I can't find the original from the NHM but that says the same from the same source. Makes for scary reading!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 16:18   #32
ukvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/p...g-net-zer.html

Have a read of that in that case. I can't find the original from the NHM but that says the same from the same source. Makes for scary reading!
We need to bring a new battery system to the market at the least in my opinion. All these algae based concept batteries, capacitor style storage units etc etc. One of them has to make an appearance as a viable option.
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 17:33   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
We need to bring a new battery system to the market at the least in my opinion. All these algae based concept batteries, capacitor style storage units etc etc. One of them has to make an appearance as a viable option.
I think they should look at regenerative braking and charging from that as an option. That would give the possibility of using smaller batteries to start with (good weight reduction) as any braking would produce charge for the batteries.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 07:50   #34
beetogther

hi all total Volvo newbie here, i found this thread as i am also interested in converting a volvo to electric.

From a cost perspective i cant see a break even line. however from a move towards low/0 emissions its a good if not expensive project.

Main components like battery, motor/inverter are the biggest outlay then its the fitting it all in and other parts such the BMS , Regen braking, all come into play.
I have always liked the look of the 700 series Volvo's and going forward would make a pretty decent conversion.

Batteries are heavy though as is the main car itself (so range could be an issue) but on the second hand market are more available from written off cars such as Teslas, Nissans, MGs, etc
Motors are becoming easily available from Teslas, Nissan, and Hybrid cars such as the Lexus GS450
beetogther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beetogther For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 08:18   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetogther View Post
hi all total Volvo newbie here, i found this thread as i am also interested in converting a volvo to electric.

From a cost perspective i cant see a break even line. however from a move towards low/0 emissions its a good if not expensive project.

Main components like battery, motor/inverter are the biggest outlay then its the fitting it all in and other parts such the BMS , Regen braking, all come into play.
I have always liked the look of the 700 series Volvo's and going forward would make a pretty decent conversion.

Batteries are heavy though as is the main car itself (so range could be an issue) but on the second hand market are more available from written off cars such as Teslas, Nissans, MGs, etc
Motors are becoming easily available from Teslas, Nissan, and Hybrid cars such as the Lexus GS450
There is a more cost effective, less labour intensive solution already available, that of LPG conversion. While it doesn't give zero emissions at point of use, it does still offer reduced emissions, lower installation cost than a BEV conversion and much less labour. There is also the added benefit that it could almost certainly be adapted to take hydrogen instead of propane (which is basically what LPG is) as the fuel so when hydrogen becomes more widely available as a mainstream fuel, anything already converted to LPG would have a fair chance of being easily converted to hydrogen instead. A 1988 Volvo with zero emissions except steam? Sounds very futuristic! Or does it?

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 08:58   #36
beetogther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There is a more cost effective, less labour intensive solution already available, that of LPG conversion. While it doesn't give zero emissions at point of use, it does still offer reduced emissions, lower installation cost than a BEV conversion and much less labour. There is also the added benefit that it could almost certainly be adapted to take hydrogen instead of propane (which is basically what LPG is) as the fuel so when hydrogen becomes more widely available as a mainstream fuel, anything already converted to LPG would have a fair chance of being easily converted to hydrogen instead. A 1988 Volvo with zero emissions except steam? Sounds very futuristic! Or does it?
LPG was quite popular about 10 years ago and i at one point was looking to connvert my car at the time into it. however it didnt pick up and the lack of LPG stations it wasnt going to work for me. As a current BEV driver im quite invested into it. So the thought of a project to convert an ICE car to BEV is always appealing.
beetogther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beetogther For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 09:17   #37
griston64
Premier Member

The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) Euro 4 standard for petrol and Euro 6 standard for diesel also apply to vehicles that have been converted to run on alternative fuels, such as LPG. While LPG can offer reduced emissions of carbon dioxide, it does not substantially reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter, which are the key pollutants I am targeting with the ULEZ. Transport for London (TfL) does not consider that the Euro emission standard of an engine will change because of a conversion to LPG. The minimum permissible ULEZ standard for a spark ignition LPG engine is Euro 4.

And it looks like a 30 year old Volvo converted to LPG won't be ULEZ exempt either
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 09:41   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetogther View Post
LPG was quite popular about 10 years ago and i at one point was looking to connvert my car at the time into it. however it didnt pick up and the lack of LPG stations it wasnt going to work for me. As a current BEV driver im quite invested into it. So the thought of a project to convert an ICE car to BEV is always appealing.
Round my neck of the woods, LPG does still seem to have a loyal band of users, myself included. Most Morrisons petrol stations have an LPG pump as well, i believe that is nationwide and not peculiar to East Anglia. Not quite as well supported as it was 10-20 years ago admittedly but still in use. There is a website that has an accompanying smartphone app for LPG stations nationwide, it was slow to load on my PC this morning but if you go to the LPG Map on it and enter your area, it should show the nearby stations and clicking on them shows the most recent prices.

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=home.php

I'm yet to be convinced that the merits of BEVs outweigh the problems it has and will cause as time goes on, in theory it's a great idea but there are too many potential problems with recycling the batteries, range, batteries self-combusting and so on for my liking.

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 10:11   #39
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) Euro 4 standard for petrol and Euro 6 standard for diesel also apply to vehicles that have been converted to run on alternative fuels, such as LPG. While LPG can offer reduced emissions of carbon dioxide, it does not substantially reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter, which are the key pollutants I am targeting with the ULEZ. Transport for London (TfL) does not consider that the Euro emission standard of an engine will change because of a conversion to LPG. The minimum permissible ULEZ standard for a spark ignition LPG engine is Euro 4.

And it looks like a 30 year old Volvo converted to LPG won't be ULEZ exempt either
That's correct Mark, once upon a time LPG converted vehicles were exempt from the ULEZ and/or Congestion Charge, however that is no longer the case. Particulate matter is more of a problem for diesels than petrol though.

There seems to be different standards across the country though, for example Clean Air Zones and ULEZ and Congestion Charge Zones.

This vehicle is exempt from charges in all Clean Air Zones

Vehicle number plate V420*** is exempt from all Clean Air Zone charges and there is no charge to drive it in any of the zones. The Ultra Low Emission Zone in London may have different exemption rules that you can check with Transport for London if you need to drive in London.

Check another vehicle

Now for the ULEZ/Con Charge :

Two charges apply to this vehicle:

If you drive within one or more of the charging zones shown, you need to pay a daily charge.
Your vehicle

V420***
Blue JAGUAR S-TYPE V6 SE AUTO

Country of registration

United Kingdom

It's LPG converted and registered so i'd say Sadist Khan is shafting the motorist again, not so long back any LPG converted vehicle would have been exempt.

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air.../enter_details

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Those are links to the Clean Air Zone and ULEZ/Con Charge Zone checker websites in case anyone wants to check their own cars.

My 760 came up as chargeable in a few Clean Air Zones (despite a recent MoT pass with 0.2%CO and 89ppm HC - as clean as a cat equipped Euro2 car!) and definitely in the ULEZ, conversely my Rover was exempt in the CAZ but chargeable in ULEZ/CCZ same as the Jag.

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 10:17   #40
griston64
Premier Member

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/mf...ts-forecourts/

Looks like it will be phased out by Morrisons as well Dave
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:

Tags
conversion, electric vehicle