Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with a 75 164e wtih tripple carbs

Views : 2276

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:46   #1
oldschoolrides

Default Help with a 75 164e wtih tripple carbs

I just picked up a 164e auto that has been converted to the solex tripple carb setup. From what I have researched it has the marine manifold on it. I bought the car non running. They guy said he was just driving it died like it ran out of gas. So he put a new pump on new filters new fuel regulator. New cap rotar an wires.

I have check fuel is flowing good to the carb an they seem to be flowing good. But i think it may be out of firing order or something it will fire for a few seconds but not stay running. Any information on the ignition system? I also seen that it has vacum advanced on the dizzy is disconnected from the manifold.
oldschoolrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:25   #2
Eddy Matthews
VOC Member

I used to have a 164 with the B30 engine many years ago....

Can't remember the firing order, but I'm fairly sure it's either 1,6,3,5,2,4 or 1,5,3,6,2,4

Someone will hopefully be along soon, to say what is correct - I'm not sure I'd trust my memory!!

Regards
Eddy
Eddy Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:36   #3
oldschoolrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Matthews View Post
I used to have a 164 with the B30 engine many years ago....

Can't remember the firing order, but I'm fairly sure it's either 1,6,3,5,2,4 or 1,5,3,6,2,4

Someone will hopefully be along soon, to say what is correct - I'm not sure I'd trust my memory!!

Regards
Eddy
Cool thanks!

I also seen on the fire wall next to the coil it looks like a ceramic resistor the coil plugs into also. Anyway to test those?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 22:09   #4
Brock05

The ceramic resistor is a Ballast resistor to drop the coil supply voltage. It is bypassed during cranking so could give the symptom you are describing, the car will crank, start and then die when you release the key from the crank position. I think the 164 resistor is 9 ohms, you can test it with a multimeter. I would try cleaning the connections first as they seem pretty reliable. Be interested to know how you get on with the car as i am thinking of doing a 3 carb conversion to my own 164.
Brock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 22:37   #5
oldschoolrides

I tested it .9 - 1.1 ohms it gets hotter than a fire cracker with the key on I know that!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 03:06   #6
oldschoolrides

Well I got it running good! Bypassed the resistor an she fired right up! The guy I bought it off replaced all kinds of stuff. Fuel pump filters... plugs wires cap rotor. Im stoked!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 09:42   #7
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default 164e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolrides View Post
Well I got it running good! Bypassed the resistor an she fired right up! The guy I bought it off replaced all kinds of stuff. Fuel pump filters... plugs wires cap rotor. Im stoked!
Have you checked or changed the coil ??
The coil is fed 12v on starting then about 9v though the restor , also the ing switch could be faulty as it supplys the 12v in cranking pos then 9v in running pos .
fault found rearly over 50 plus in repairing older motors !!
Give me up dated and will scratch the old brain box LOL
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:39   #8
oldschoolrides

I will have to check it out. I know when the resistor was hooked up it was super hot! I had my assumptions when I first bought it, because the wire on positive side to the coil from the resistor was melted. Is there such a coil that doesn't need a resistor.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 22:01   #9
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Interesting what you say re ballast resistors, as I have a similar problem with one of my 164s (not currently in use, so no panic yet). When its turn comes I'll go straight to it!

Just one thing - I thought 164Es were all fuel-injection? In which case IIRC the dizzy and fuel tank are different to those in carb cars. Did the previous owner change these too?

The former owner of one of mine reverted to a carb engine in it, but he changed everything - the engine number wasn't the same as the official papers showed. That doesn't worry me though!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:37   #10
oldschoolrides

Yeah I will have to post some pictures for the inquiring minds. Its runs good. Only thing I noticed its been doing when you rev it it stays at 3krpm an wont go down. But only does that in park. I messed with the heater controls so it maybe a vacum leak or something.