Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

alarm fob part no's

Views : 11797

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 19:35   #1
bb54
diy bhp

Default alarm fob part no's

this info is regarding the volvo alarm fob that has the dual lock/unlock button and the panic button below it, not the fob that has the seperate lock and unlock buttons side by side.

as we all know, 850's have a habit of not wanting to unlock via the alarm fob at times, causing the owner to unlock via the key and then all hell breaks loose.

as quite often the fob decides its not going to play anymore and refuses to operate again (check it wont reprogram via instructions on the forum), it forces the owner to purchase a new alarm fob.

trouble is, there are two different frequencies and buying the wrong one will not operate your alarm, even if reprogrammed.
so, unless you have the part # on your fob (most get rubbed off after years of use), its a gamble buying them off ebay.

this seems to be the way to tell which fob part # you require without going to a main dealer.

the relay on the left is from a 96 T5 with the GA11 system incorperating the deadlocking system ,on operating the fob, it flashes the indicators once when central locking is operated and gives a second indicator flash when the deadlocks click in.
for this relay (part# 9166157) i needed fob part # 9442981.

the relay on the right is from jodt5's 96 T5 , im not sure if his alarm has the deadlocking feature at the moment, so i may need to edit.

this relay (part# 9148881) needs fob with part # 9442983.

the relays can be found under the dash, slightly to the right of the steering colomb.
remove the plstic cover from under the steering wheel (above your feet) via the three torx screws, and peek under the dash and youll see the relay, it says volvo alarm on it.
it may have a key recognition lead going from the relay to the ignition barrel.
mine has this feature,(jod's doesnt) and chipped keys have a black surround with a grey insert,as shown in the picture.

if anyone has the deadlock option and has fob # 9442983,or has a chipped key and uses fob # 9442983, could you post here so that i can make the relevant edits.

im hoping that cars with deadlock option and use chipped keys use
fob# 9442981
and without these features needing fob# 9442983.
if only to save people looking under the dash to find which fob part # they require.
you can check if you have a chipped key by wrapping tinfoil around the plastic part of the key, this prevents the car recognising the key and it will deploy the immobiliser (starts but stalls instantly), no damage will be caused, itll start normally as soon as the foil is removed.

hoping this prevents someone wasting money on Ebay.
thanks to jod for most of the info.

wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0006 (Custom).JPG (97.9 KB, 381 views)

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bb54 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:30   #2
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

What am I missing here?

I can see the difference in the two relays but the key doesn't appear to be anything else but a straight key.

I'm probably going to end up feelingf a bit silly over this but if the key contains an electronic control device - then how is it activated?
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 18:03   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgrrr View Post
What am I missing here?

I can see the difference in the two relays but the key doesn't appear to be anything else but a straight key.

I'm probably going to end up feelingf a bit silly over this but if the key contains an electronic control device - then how is it activated?
the key has a chip in it which connects electronically to an antenna ring positioned around the ignitioin barrell....when the key is inserted
not all 850's have the chipped key...a chipped key should be obvious, tho you could always wrap your key in foil and try to start the car....
only the relay on the left needs a chipped key...
cheers
jod
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 15:00   #4
odbod

Unhappy key fob

my 850 volvo key isnt chipped so whitch key fob do i need as i dont have a key fob ....or is they anybody out ther who has a spair they might want to sell me ... i can only lock my car with a key and no alarm will come on ..maney thanks odbod
odbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 15:06   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbod View Post
my 850 volvo key isnt chipped so whitch key fob do i need as i dont have a key fob ....or is they anybody out ther who has a spair they might want to sell me ... i can only lock my car with a key and no alarm will come on ..maney thanks odbod
you will need to accertain which system you have first....
cheers
jod
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:33   #6
odbod

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
you will need to accertain which system you have first....
cheers
jod
yooo jud.. how do i determan whitch system i have ? i dont have a chipped key thanks again odbod
odbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 18:23   #7
pjay
peewee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54 View Post
this info is regarding the volvo alarm fob that has the dual lock/unlock button and the panic button below it, not the fob that has the seperate lock and unlock buttons side by side.

as we all know, 850's have a habit of not wanting to unlock via the alarm fob at times, causing the owner to unlock via the key and then all hell breaks loose.

as quite often the fob decides its not going to play anymore and refuses to operate again (check it wont reprogram via instructions on the forum), it forces the owner to purchase a new alarm fob.

trouble is, there are two different frequencies and buying the wrong one will not operate your alarm, even if reprogrammed.
so, unless you have the part # on your fob (most get rubbed off after years of use), its a gamble buying them off ebay.

this seems to be the way to tell which fob part # you require without going to a main dealer.

the relay on the left is from a 96 T5 with the GA11 system incorperating the deadlocking system ,on operating the fob, it flashes the indicators once when central locking is operated and gives a second indicator flash when the deadlocks click in.
for this relay (part# 9166157) i needed fob part # 9442981.

the relay on the right is from jodt5's 96 T5 , im not sure if his alarm has the deadlocking feature at the moment, so i may need to edit.

this relay (part# 9148881) needs fob with part # 9442983.

the relays can be found under the dash, slightly to the right of the steering colomb.
remove the plstic cover from under the steering wheel (above your feet) via the three torx screws, and peek under the dash and youll see the relay, it says volvo alarm on it.
mine has this feature,(jod's doesnt) and chipped keys have a black surround with a grey insert,as shown in the picture.

if anyone has the deadlock option and has fob # 9442983,or has a chipped key and uses fob # 9442983, could you post here so that i can make the relevant edits.

im hoping that cars with deadlock option and use chipped keys use
fob# 9442981
and without these features needing fob# 9442983.
if only to save people looking under the dash to find which fob part # they require.
you can check if you have a chipped key by wrapping tinfoil around the plastic part of the key, this prevents the car recognising the key and it will deploy the immobiliser (starts but stalls instantly), no damage will be caused, itll start normally as soon as the foil is removed.

hoping this prevents someone wasting money on Ebay.
thanks to jod for most of the info.

wayne
many thanks for your help, but mine is the 2 button side by side one, and i know it sounds like going overboard i have just bought another volvo 850i which i will collect on sat from sheffield, and my son is having this one, so i will leave this thread going for him, but many thanks-peewee.
pjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 20:59   #8
RSF
Master Member

Is not the case with both my volvos as both are completely grey and 100% have a chip in as I had to have them programmed,one is a M reg and the other is a N.

The N reg,they popped a computer type thing (not a laptop)into the ports in front of my gear stick,pressed right right up and enter and it was done :-(,40 quid for that!! I did not pay but I got two quotes 40 and 100!!,the M reg I was not present and it does not have the ports in front of the gear stick,so I'm not sure what they did.

What I need to know is,what key fob I need for a M reg T5,to get my alarm working?

Will the dual button and panic buttoned one work?does any one have a picture of this fob?and can any one confirm the switching the ignition on/off 5 times with this fob on a M reg 850 T5 works?
Answer would be much appreciated.
Thank's
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 21:19   #9
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.stuart View Post

Is not the case with both my volvos as both are completely grey and 100% have a chip in as I had to have them programmed,one is a M reg and the other is a N.

The N reg,they popped a computer type thing (not a laptop)into the ports in front of my gear stick,pressed right right up and enter and it was done :-(,40 quid for that!! I did not pay but I got two quotes 40 and 100!!,the M reg I was not present and it does not have the ports in front of the gear stick,so I'm not sure what they did.

What I need to know is,what key fob I need for a M reg T5,to get my alarm working?

Will the dual button and panic buttoned one work?does any one have a picture of this fob?and can any one confirm the switching the ignition on/off 5 times with this fob on a M reg 850 T5 works?
Answer would be much appreciated.
Thank's
It depends on the reciever you have in your M reg....
Pull the relay and get the part number...
Jod
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 18:38   #10
scottyboy

Hi there,
I recently bought a volvo 840 estate 2.5 petrol the driver door wont unlock from the key supplied but fits all other locks cept glovebox.The fob is also missing which leads to my question.I checked my relay and determined i need the #9442983 fob but the trouble is ebay doesnt seems to list part number so a visual of the right fob would be great.Or any info and selecting the right fob just from the pics on ebay.

Thanks for any help
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote