Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the V70 automatic any good?

Views : 3018

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2022, 23:36   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Toyota are world-renowned for being bullet proof but having said that I find them a little bit plasticky inside and not the best for quality and comfort

V70's are nicer cars IMHO but 'boxes of that age do occasionally have issues and they are regularly discussed on this forum but the general consensus is that with regular fluid changes (the fluid is not for life despite what Volvo said) and if generally well looked after they're fine

mine has a very occasional slight flare going into 3rd every 200miles or so, I've done a few fluid changes and pretty much learned to live with it, it's otherwise completely flawless

you can get a lemon if you're not careful or you can get a really good one if you take your time, just like any car really

also, at that mileage (like any other car) there is literally a list of other things that can be wrong with it not just the gearbox. Volvo's have a lot of complicated electrical systems and sensors

you might find economy isn't as good, especially being an auto

other peoples opinions and experiences may vary

the same can be said of the V70
nowhere will you see volvo saying any such thing, there has always been an optional auto box oil change service which just about no one takes up , they go on to well over 100,000 miles and the next owner does an oil change and they are fine , software updates are well worth having as some big changes were made in it around 2012 to aid diagnosis.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 00:44   #22
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I was just going by what I've read numerous times reading a number of different threads

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/l...on-oil.212102/ for example has a number of different opinions on the matter

but if by 'lifetime' they meant 100k then even that was nonsense, mine definitely benefitted from a change in the 60's of k's, it came out as a dark brown sludge which can't be good

the point is, change it regularly, which is surely not something that can be argued with

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 27th, 2022 at 00:47.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 02:12   #23
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Yes, the V70 automatic is good.
Tending a few of them has been a good experience.

Last 10 months' total miles per US gallon:
2007 V70 base. Currently @129K
Remember, add 20% more miles for UK gallons.
27.471 = 32.96 UK
22.317 = 26.48 UK

During high travel months I see 29 mpg US.
Alternate vehicles commonly used for long trips skews my V70 mileage data downward.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 09:14   #24
cogs

Thank you all for the info, most useful. Now I did a bit of head scratching time to figure it out but if I'm honest I think it will come down to which make of car I happen along first that is the right price and condition.

I wouldn't be get rid of the Avensis if it was rotting out underneath but my days of laying flat on my back welding up the underneath of cars is over. I'll admit I will be sorry to loose the Avensis, it's been very reliable and comfy and even though only a hatchback it has fitted everything that I needed to carry including recently a mid sized chest freezer.

I like the V40 also despite half the electricals not working, it gives me something to tinker with but it's just no good for us as an everyday car, need the auto box. So I was thinking a V70 would be a good compromise between the two, having two cars is fast becoming an expense we can't afford.

It seems regular box oil changes is a must which is something I do anyway so that is no problem. The mpg is a bit heavy but not to far from the Avensis.
I think it will come down to which comes available first. But then there is fact I will have a complete scrap Avensis for spares which won't be much good for a Volvo, ARRRRRRGH! I love cars but I just hate it when I have to buy a fresh one.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 10:39   #25
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Upside down welding is never fun at the best of times

One other thing that should be mentioned is the throttle bodies, the earliest few years had reliability issues, mine was replaced recently

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 11:51   #26
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Happy car hunting.
I suppose you know driving to them for test drives is work.
Get any auto fully warmed up during the test.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 08:43   #27
charles p

The auto is possibly one of the nicest cars to drive, despite the mpg and road tax, (if you get a late one.)
My normally aspirated petrol was fine when I sold it after 200k+.
It had three advantages: the lower torque engine, being an 07 it was the fully evolved version of the ‘box and I changed the fluid regularly. Diesels will give the box a harder time, as will any go faster model. Geartronics as opposed to plain autos seem to be more trouble but that may be because they were fitted to higher powered models.
The C200 Merc that replaced it (I wanted a petrol estate with under 50k miles) does 45mpg, costs under £150 in road tax, has a flappy paddle 7 speed box but is nowhere nearly as well built or nice to drive as my old V70

C
charles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 12:44   #28
cogs

Oh Mercedes I've looked at a few and don't like. I don't think Mercedes have had much quality in there bluid for the last twenty years.I'd certainly air a Volvo over a Mercedes any day.

Thanks for all the info people, just waiting for some thing right place right price or cross everything and chance the Avensus through another MOT.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 19:02   #29
charles p

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
Oh Mercedes I've looked at a few and don't like. I don't think Mercedes have had much quality in there bluid for the last twenty years.I'd certainly air a Volvo over a Mercedes any day.

Thanks for all the info people, just waiting for some thing right place right price or cross everything and chance the Avensus through another MOT.
I agree but sadly Volvo ran away prematurely from petrol in about 2010 and didn’t come back for nearly a decade, ruling them out of contention.
I dare say I’ll be back to Volvo in due course

C
charles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 22:37   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I agree but sadly Volvo ran away prematurely from petrol in about 2010 and didn’t come back for nearly a decade, ruling them out of contention.
I dare say I’ll be back to Volvo in due course

C
they have always had the choice of petrol in their line up , It's just that people preferred the economy and torque of the Diesels until direct injection petrols were launched.