Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the V70 automatic any good?

Views : 3017

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2022, 11:27   #1
cogs

Default Is the V70 automatic any good?

I have a V40 which a saved from the scrapyard, I did this because I hate to see a useable car go to scrap and I had one a few years back and liked it. I'm going to hang on to the V40 for now. Our main car, which has to be an automatic, is a Toyota Avensis, we've had it for seven years and apart from routine stuff it has only ever needed a new start motor and only let us down once, hence the start motor and while still mechanically good the body it rotting out so we need to replace and I was thinking of getting another Avensis but there are not many about for sale, I'm told once people get them they tend to keep them a long time so I was thinking of a V70 of some sort, probably around ten- fifteen years old with no more than 100-130K on the clock. The thing is I don't read very good things about them certainly not compared to how the Avensis has preformed.

So putting any Volvo bias aside is the V70 automatic any good or should I hold out for another Avensis?
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 12:32   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Toyota are world-renowned for being bullet proof but having said that I find them a little bit plasticky inside and not the best for quality and comfort

V70's are nicer cars IMHO but 'boxes of that age do occasionally have issues and they are regularly discussed on this forum but the general consensus is that with regular fluid changes (the fluid is not for life despite what Volvo said) and if generally well looked after they're fine

mine has a very occasional slight flare going into 3rd every 200miles or so, I've done a few fluid changes and pretty much learned to live with it, it's otherwise completely flawless

you can get a lemon if you're not careful or you can get a really good one if you take your time, just like any car really

also, at that mileage (like any other car) there is literally a list of other things that can be wrong with it not just the gearbox. Volvo's have a lot of complicated electrical systems and sensors

you might find economy isn't as good, especially being an auto

other peoples opinions and experiences may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
..I'm told once people get them they tend to keep them a long time..
the same can be said of the V70

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 25th, 2022 at 12:38.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 13:36   #3
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Cons: Auto is high tax, crap mpg, NA slow as hell for same mpg as a turbo.

Pros: Loads of space, fast(turbo), comfortable, plenty of technical help available, if you catch it early auto can go for 200k with regular fluid flushes.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 15:51   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I wouldn't agree with 'slow as hell' .. off the line my NA actually shifts pretty quick

it depends what you compare it to obviously, I've owned faster stuff, but it's definitely no slouch when you boot it

crap mpg is right on the money though lol I see that as the trade off for the safety and comfort

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 25th, 2022 at 15:55.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 16:08   #5
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Ok what I meant to say was 37% slower than a 2.4 T5

(2.4 NA 170ps geartronic Vs 2.4 T5 geartronic)

You get the idea
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 16:15   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

the point about the same mpg for the difference in power is fair though I'll grant you that, it does seem like a no brainer really in some ways

but then again my theory was, cheaper insurance, less to go wrong, cheaper to buy

swings and roundabouts I suppose

mini project - link
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 17:47   #7
BarryCambs

I've had a V70 for 11 years, the auto box has been looked after and it;s fine at nearly 200k. The car's been further as this was a replacement box.

The engine's still fine, but unfortunately, the rest of it is entirely knackered! This is due to age in the main, rather than mileage. Plastic gets brittle and everything rubber is going home. It has constant little problems which fortunately I can fix myself or it would have been scrapped years ago. Bottom line is, its 20 years old and I think the chances of any car 15 years+ and expecting it to be reliable is a bit of a gamble
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 18:49   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
I have a V40 which a saved from the scrapyard, I did this because I hate to see a useable car go to scrap and I had one a few years back and liked it. I'm going to hang on to the V40 for now. Our main car, which has to be an automatic, is a Toyota Avensis, we've had it for seven years and apart from routine stuff it has only ever needed a new start motor and only let us down once, hence the start motor and while still mechanically good the body it rotting out so we need to replace and I was thinking of getting another Avensis but there are not many about for sale, I'm told once people get them they tend to keep them a long time so I was thinking of a V70 of some sort, probably around ten- fifteen years old with no more than 100-130K on the clock. The thing is I don't read very good things about them certainly not compared to how the Avensis has preformed.

So putting any Volvo bias aside is the V70 automatic any good or should I hold out for another Avensis?
iv had my v70 d5 auto 7 years its now on 240k and i only paid 2k for it all cars have some problems but this volvo has been fantastic maintainance is the key to longevity with a volvo . ask some other v70 owners for more input
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 20:04   #9
abdiel
VOC Member

My 2005 V70 170hp N/A Auto is now on 289k+ miles with the original engine & box. Regularly serviced throughout it's life by Main Stealer & Volvo Independent, and by myself over the 3 years I have owned her. MPG is nothing to write home about unless you're 'Driving Miss Daisy' but other than that i've no complaints.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 21:57   #10
cogs

Thanks all, the mpg issue pops up quite a bit there. My Avensis which is a semi auto, I love the gearbox on it, returns an average of 35 mpg combined mileage. How does that compare to an auto V70?

All auto V70's I've seen so far have a stepped manual selection plus the auto like my Avensis, I think I'm correct in calling that a semi-automatic at least thats what the V5 says. Are all Auto V70 like this? is that what they call Geartronic?

My V40 is manual with 2.0 NA Volvo engine, I love it, but due to health reasons the main car needs to be auto. The V40 is faster just than the 1.8 Avensis and plenty quick enough for me. Anyone know how the V70 NA auto compares to the 2.0 NA manual V40 ?

I take comfort over speed nowadays but I do like the occasional legal blast.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote