Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone tow with a C70?

Views : 1923

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2011, 15:49   #1
andy72

Default Anyone tow with a C70?

Bought it as a 2nd car, 2.4T auto on an X plate.

Our caravan is very light at 1050max and i currently tow with an Audi A3 1.6 Petrol. It does struggle on hills but gets us there and back.

How will the C70 cope? i know it will be better as its almost twice as powerful and a bit heavier but im suprised at how light they are. The data i found is 1435 kerbwieght giving 1270kg at 85%.

This gives us scope to upgrade to heavier van in future but suprised at the figures.

I see some huge vans being towed by much smaller cars like mondeos etc
andy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:10   #2
Nig

I remember the first time i seen a c70 was up your neck of the woods on the roundabout heading to south shields, a gold one and thinking what a good looking motor and years later seeing one on a tv show towing a caravan, fifth gear or something,

not much info on here but it has been done

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52021
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:16   #3
Nig

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78809
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:47   #4
flaggy
Master Member

hi i used to tow with a 2.0 coupe w reg. it coped fine. have just fitted a tow bar to our 2.0 03 convertible but have,nt been away with van yet.van is only 1000 kg, would,nt fancy much more than 1400kg, with a 2.0. steve.
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 08:00   #5
M D E
Master Member

I agree with Steve, I tow with my C70 Cabro which tows perfectly ... Hardly notice its pulling but would not like to tow above 1450 even though the car would pull it ...
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 09:39   #6
C70Carnut

Cool

I've just found this forum as I've just fitted a volvo genuine towbar to my C70 convertible automatic (won't mention the cost). I've never towed before and am confused. So is the concensus that the max is 1600kg with brakes? What is the maximum towball weight? I can't find this info anywhere.
C70Carnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 09:31   #7
C70Carnut

Unhappy

Unfortunately, A1-towing place never got back to me. I have found out from RACQ technical help that it will tow up to 1600kg, but the maximum weight on the towball is 75kg which is pretty restricting.
C70Carnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:02   #8
david_940
Volvo Mad

Smile Towing weight

Hi, if you have a look on autotrader for a c70 with the same engine etc as yours, then go to the technical data tab it will show you the dimensions/weight of your car. You need the bottom weight (can't rember the name of the field). You should only tow a trailer/caravan which is upto 85% of the cars weight and that weight should be less than the max towing weight you will see on autotrader. The 75kg is the hitch weight, is the max load for the hitch, you can buy a weighing device to make sure the weight is not exceeded. This usually happens is the van is not loaded correctly.
Clear as mud? Hope this helps.
david_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david_940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 23:26   #9
andy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_940 View Post
Hi, if you have a look on autotrader for a c70 with the same engine etc as yours, then go to the technical data tab it will show you the dimensions/weight of your car. You need the bottom weight (can't rember the name of the field). You should only tow a trailer/caravan which is upto 85% of the cars weight and that weight should be less than the max towing weight you will see on autotrader. The 75kg is the hitch weight, is the max load for the hitch, you can buy a weighing device to make sure the weight is not exceeded. This usually happens is the van is not loaded correctly.
Clear as mud? Hope this helps.
lol, to make that clearer, what he is saying is although Volvo (and all car makers) state a max weight both braked and ubraked that can be towed with your car, you need to find the 'kerbweight' of your car. There is lots of sites that list it, just google. Then for an ideal tow match your carvan should not weigh more than 85 % of the cars kerbweight.

Its not illegal to go over 85%, just an old rule that people seem to feel works. The legal figure (among others) is the max tow wieght.

Re the 75Kg. This is pretty normal. Some cars like peugots have as little as 50kg, some have higher like a discovery at 90kg. This is the wieght that can be safely applied to the tow bar hitch.

When loading up your caravan, either by a nosewieght gauge or use a set of bathroom scales under the jockey wheel (not as accurate). Then when loading up, make sure the nose doesnt put more than 75kg on the tow hitch.

Its quite easy to achieve on most caravans so dont worry too much.
andy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:56   #10
C70Carnut

Smile

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to a caravan show tomorrow so it's very timely.