Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AUDIO INSTALL -ADVICE -DIY???

Views : 710

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2005, 12:56   #1
d14vd_h

hi guys, im looking to upgrade the speakers on my car,
i have already replaced the rear door speakers, however i want to replace the dash speakers and fit front door ones in the blank space.

i have spoke to my local ICE installer and he reccomends tweeters in the dash instead of the tiny speakers and bass/mids in the front doors leaving the full speakers in the rear doors. however he quoted £120 for these bought and installed.
i was thinking of buying the items myself and having an autoelectrician fit them for me as i am having some other electrical work carried out.

I was either going to find a set of replacement dash speakers and front door speakers from a 940 from a breaker
or
purchase a component set myself

when i got the car i put a sony single slot CD system in place and replaced the standard rear speakers with some kenwood ones,
i would be happy with a 6 speaker system and my sony cd headunit i have now as i dont want to invest too much money in this car especially not audio as i am more into styling.
i want the parts to be easily integrated - using the existing holes in the doors and if i go for the tweeter option be able to hide them under the existing dash grilles.
the quote for 120 involved using either alpine or kenwood components.
my aim is really to replace blown speakers while taking the oppertunity to upgrade on a budget!!! 50 -70 max

advice/ reccomendations help!?
this area is not my forte
Old May 27th, 2005, 00:20   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: AUDIO INSTALL -ADVICE -DIY???

As the standard Volvo speakers are perfectly adequate for the use you have stipulated I would seriously suggest you obtain a full set of speakers from a 940 (including the dash speakers) particularly if you still have the amplifier to go with the system. The original six/eight speaker setup waws arranged so that the head unit fed the dash speakers whilst the amplifier fed the door speakers and any other speakers that were fitted. Aerial quality is also paramount for good radio performance. Make sure that any secondhand speakers you get are fully working with no fuzziness due to cone damage or distorted frames.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote